German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had Corey for several months now, and ever since the first week I got her, I've become used to being woke up in an interesting way each morning . . .

I work from home, so I can usually sleep in a little bit. Now that she's figured out I am not getting up at 7am just to play (the first few days were awful) she typically does to. And now she has a routine....

In the mornings, at about 9:30, Corey will come to check on me. She walks to my side of the bed, maybe sniffs at me a bit, then goes back to her bed. Ten minutes later, the same thing. Then, at about ten every morning, she has had enough! She leaps up onto the bed and so begins a massive cuddlefest - rubbing her face in my blanket, licking my cheeks, laying and rolling on top of me, trying to wiggle as close to me as possible. Not an awful way to wake up, even if it is a bit hairy. The funny thing is, most of the time she doesn't even need to go potty yet. She is just desperate for attention after going a whole eight hours without being pet!

But now I'm wondering - do your dogs like to wake you up in the mornings? If so, how do they go about it? Any funny routines they've developed? (PS, sorry if this is the wrong section for a post like this.)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I'm kind of a house wife right now and am not working while I'm sorting through some health issues so I don't have a schedule at all, I've never been one of those people that does the same thing at the same time every day... Wish I could though I'd be so much more efficient, lol!

So Ollie doesn't really expect anything at a certain time but most days he will eventually come up, shove his head in my chest and cover my face in slobber until I'm saying, "ok I'm up I'm up!" Or he will pace and stare at me and then I'll say, "go potty or want noms?" And he'll head tilt and I'll start laughing... Like you said not a bad way to wake up. :)

We also have a night routine(one of our only routines lol!) where he'll throw a toy on my lap which means he wants to play tug... The worst is having a slobbery toy thrown onto my iPad. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha, Ollie and Corey would get along SO WELL. She does the same "toss the toy into my lap" thing. If I'd let her, she'd play tug all day long, until she ripped my arms out of the sockets! lol.

I"m not a routine person, either. And I managed to break Corey of hers to some degree, but at some point in the morning ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and she wants snuggles. Sometimes she'll even fall back to sleep next to me and we can both sleep even longer.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The only time Ozzy will wake me up is if he has to go potty. In which case, he'll whimper, dig at me, or jump on me.

My cat, on the other hand, will lie on my face and attempt to suffocate me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have only had Eli for 2 weeks. Every night last thing he checks, with a cold nose, to make sure my wife and I are still in bed. Then once again during the middle of the nihht. If you pat him on the head and gently push his head back away from the be he will go lay down and go back to sleep.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Morning wake ups are the best! (My two girl is 13 months and boy is 10 months)
Around 6:00am they'll start walking up to the side of the bed....then within a half hour the both Jump right up trying to snuggle and loaded with kisses Best alarm clock ever!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
My boy is regularly allowed access to the whole house but when we sleep, the baby gate goes up and the dogs are limited to the front of the house. He respects the gate and won't go over but knows that I move it aside for him to come through. So he's figures if he can move it aside, he can come through whenever he wants.

I work graveyards and during the day when I sleep my wife is home and the kids get home in the afternoon so there's plenty of attention to go around. But lately when he thinks its time for me to get up (around 6:28 to 6:29) he very quietly breaks through the gate, pulls the door handle to my bedroom, and lets himself in. Then comes the 90lb idiot bomb. Ears back, tongue flopping, doing laps around the room and on the bed. Once I tell him I'm up he stops, pounces one last time, takes my arm in his mouth, and rolls over on his back next to me kicking his feet and nudging me until I get up.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Not so much the shepx, he's too old to care when we get up, but the Saint is dh's back-up alarm and despite the fact he sometimes works weird days and can have weekdays off, she knows, whether it's by seeing me make his lunch the night before or seeing him switch on his alarm, at 3am like clockwork, she is up, pacing, panting, doing her "potty dance", as soon as dh puts his slippers and pj pants on, she lays back down and sleeps until 8:30am. The shep gets up with dd and I at 7ish and then the Saint doesn't come down the stairs until 8:30.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Faith is a living alarm clock ... if I fall asleep while watching TV, at 11PM she'll gently tap me with her paw ... IT'S TIME TO GO OUTSIDE!!!

Again sometime between 6 and 7AM she'll repeat the paw tap because ... IT'S TIME TO GO OUTSIDE!!!

Slider and Bruiser seldom get me up except for a potty emergency.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Puppy paw to the eye socket this morning. Going to work on that!
Our 8 month old pup, Strider, has woken my my husband up that way before. Just one paw to the face, "Wake up, Dad!" He wasn't happy... ;)

I'm lucky enough to get both paws to the gut. Yeah, we're working on that.

My senior only gets riled up when Strider does, otherwise he'd sleep the whole day away and not bother our sleep at all. But once that sun come up, Strider is ready and rearing to go!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Gus doesn't wake me up per say but the second he hears my alarm go off he lets me know he is ready to go out. Not a peep from him with anyone else's alarm...just mine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think your dog is waking you up so she can go potty. at what time
do you take her for last break of the night?

Don't worry, it's not because she has to potty. That's a different wake up call. That's when she stands next to the bed bumping me with her nose and whining a little. I used to think the cuddle bomb was about needing to potty, then I realized we were going outside and she was just standing there, looking around.... lol. I"m a night owl, so our last potty break is pretty late at night.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Our dogs are gated off in the downstairs and we sleep upstairs. If they wake me with barking or whining, then I know I've really overslept and they need to go out. I get up at the same time every day no matter what, so they do have a schedule.

When my husband's away though, sometimes I sleep on the couch downstairs and they will get me up earlier. Kaylee will give my eyeball a good sniffing, and if that doesn't work Sam will clamber on the couch and lay on my legs. He's heavy and pointy.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I go to bed at 8:30 pm and get up at 4:00 am. It's the best schedule I can keep having to be at work at 7:00 and taking care of all the critters in the morning. Weekends, I'll go to bed a bit later and get up a bit later - but not by much.

I have one rule with my dogs. When you are in the kennel, not a peep. If there is a potty issue, they might move around a bunch which will wake me up and I'll put them out. Except for my mini doxie, she sleeps in my bed and will bounce around or do the 'potty dance' on the bed...or my body, until I take her out.

Hondo is locked in his kennel at night. Not because I'm worried he'll do anything, but because of his need to go outside in the middle of the night to patrol. Knowing that I'm not a happy camper if he wakes me up, he'll stand at the side of my bed and breath into my face until I wake up.

One night I went to bed after watching Ghost Hunters. I woke up in the middle of the night to the soft sound of 'oooooowwwwwooooooo'. I opened my eyes and Hondo's face was right in mine. Gave me a freakin' heart attack. Apparently the Coyotes were out running and singing. Hondo can't stop himself from singing along. But he really, really tried.

After that...he's always in his kennel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's awesome!
I just now can relate and love it!
Misha is now 8 months and she has just started waking me up.
Until this last week she's slept on her dog bed at thr foot of mine.
Now she's figured out that if she walks to my side of the bed while I'm sleeping my face is there.
Scared the heck out of me the first time as I awoke to a face licking session,
I'll pet her and whisper in her ear then she may go back to bed.
But she's also decided if I haven't loved her enough she will jump into bed and mug me.

Honestly as a proud poppa I love that she wants to be close.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Lol. Without fail, when Rudy hears the coffee pot turn on at 5:30am, I will soon hear him coming up the stairs to get me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts