German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your dog understand what a cuddle or a snuggle or a hug or a kiss is?

I don't think Smokey or Zeeva understand what any of those are. They pull away if I hug them and I'm not a fan of letting them lick me (as a 'kiss') so they don't understand or give that kind of affection either. I try to 'hold' them close to me sometimes but nope; they won't take any of it unless they're knackered.

Is your pup affectionate? How does he/she show it?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I can hug all four of mine and when I ask for kisses they give them very willingly. The only one that isn't super cuddly when we sleep or if I lay down is the older one and even she has her moments. My golden and female GSD are very cuddly. The male GSD is proving to be to. I can also use them as a pillow:D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes, Lisl knows what it is because she initiates it. She will sneak up onto the bed at the foot, and stretch out next to me and then roll over and bump me with just enough force to wake me.

She wants her belly rubbed and then me to get up and take her out to pee.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
yes, he knows. He jumps up on the bed every morning for cuddle time. He's not big on kisses, but he does give a kiss or two occasionally.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mia will go out of her way to lay up against me, she enjoys being close. We have a cuddle time often during the afternoon, she'll join me for a nap. She's not much of a hugger, though. Will squirm if you try to hold her too long while she's standing/sitting.

I trained her to give kisses. If you make a kissy noise at her she'll stop whatever she's doing and come and lick your face. It's the cutest thing. :wub:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog is a cuddler. he'll jump on the sofa or bed with you. he likes
being hugged. he'll cuddle with strangers (adults or children). anyone
can hug him or pet him. when my GF an i are hugging i say "family hug"
and our dog will come to us and get in the middle of us hugging.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Jazzy would live in my arms if she could, if I'm sitting down she's either beside me, on my lap, or against my neck on the back of the couch. She's a lap dog for sure

Delgado didn't start to cuddle until 6 months or so, now he'll jump on the couch and snuggle right in.

As for them understanding what they are, I think they learn through experience it's our way of showing affection as we normally rub and pet them while we're hugging them. They learn to enjoy the attention and affection.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
If that dog in the picture is the lover he sure doesn't look the part. :p Very handsome boy.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I think its normal behavior for a dog not to want to be hugged. Hugging or holding a dog to tight may make them uncomfortable, but they usually tolerate it by their owners. Our dog does not like to be hugged or held tight. But we did teach her, "kissy".

·
Registered
308 Posts
Jedda (6 months) will tolerate any ridiculous smooshy thing I want to do to her, but I don't think she loves being encased - I get the wiggly body, ears back, happy face when she leans against my legs and I just pet or scritch her, but not so much when I give her a hug! Patricia McConnell has some great pics in her book "The Other End of the Leash" of all kinds of primates hugging and kissing and greeting each other, and then a few of people hugging their dogs, and the look on the dogs' faces is priceless - get me outta here!

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Patricia McConnell has some great pics in her book "The Other End of the Leash" of all kinds of primates hugging and kissing and greeting each other, and then a few of people hugging their dogs, and the look on the dogs' faces is priceless - get me outta here!
Hehehe... reminds me of one of my fave pics on this forum, of Elizabeth hugging Stark!
Check out that boy's face!:wild:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dexter is the biggest cuddler I have ever had. He's always up for kisses and hugs, I think that's why it was so easy to bond with him so fast and so closely. Some dogs are cuddly and others are not, I think it's a personality thing.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
I've always had cuddly affectionate dogs. Cassidy was not one to be hugged, she'd tolerate it briefly, but she did enjoy being right next to us and getting petted.

Keefer absolutely loves hugs, from anyone, any time. He just adores people in general and has no physical boundaries at all. Getting some love from daddy:

Halo likes hugs too, but she doesn't solicit them like Keefer does. She will relax and lean into me if I put my arm around her, and kiss kiss kiss. She is VERY kissy! Here's Halo with her Daddy:

And both of them :wub:

We have two loveseats at right angles to each other. Keef will sit in the inside corner like he is in this picture, and tip back and forth between us. I can pat my leg and he falls over with his head on my knee, and then Tom will call him and he falls over with his head on Tom's shoulder.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dante LOVES to cuddle. He insists on being "little spoon" for at least five mins before bed and again before getting up in the morning. He will climb in and cuddle whenever I want.

Khaleesi, not so much. She will come up and sit near your legs and give kisses while you scratch her chest. But she doesn't cuddle, doesn't do hugs, nothing. Even when you put her in bed she will go straight to the foot and lay down. I actually enjoy having one of each.

My border collie, loves affection, but if you stop petting he prefers to go lay on his own bed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
Dante LOVES to cuddle. He insists on being "little spoon" for at least five mins before bed and again before getting up in the morning. He will climb in and cuddle whenever I want.
Oh! Halo is a spooner too, and so was Dena! Keef has never been a bed dog, he'll only come up (briefly) if I invite him, or he'll chase Halo up there when they're playing.

Khaleesi is young yet, you might find that she gets more affectionate as she gets older. Halo was more of demon spawn when she was younger, but she's definitely gotten more cuddly as she matured.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Khaleesi is young yet, you might find that she gets more affectionate as she gets older. Halo was more of demon spawn when she was younger, but she's definitely gotten more cuddly as she matured.
I hope so, but I am happy with her either way. I always joke that the only way I actually know she likes me is that she will pitch a fit if I hand her leash to someone else to go get something from my car real quick. But she works her little puppy heart out for me so that's all I can ask. If she doesn't want to be a cuddle dog I will respect her wishes. The bed would get tight with Babybear (Dante) and Honey badger (Khaleesi) up there anyway!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Zayda mespooka, mi hund mespooka, fistay? lol.

If that dog in the picture is the lover he sure doesn't look the part. :p Very handsome boy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts