German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a GSD rescue several years ago that would talk to us...woo woo woo. He woo woo woo'd at the vet once when he got shots as if to say "what did you do that for". I just loved when he would woo woo woo. It was so cute. One time hubby and I went out of town for a few days and left our kids in charge...well when we got home that dog ran back and forth to my husband and then to me just woo woo wooing up a storm as if to say.."where have you been, I am so glad you are home, I missed you. don't leave me again". Oh how I miss that boy.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Awww cute. Koda "talks" to me. She grunts, wines, growls and barks so it sounds like real words! LOL!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
ahhh yes the woo woo's,,my boy was a woo-er:) This was pathetic, but my husband used to say to him "where's yo momma?" and he would start woo wooing at me..I miss that boy:((

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rennie sings when she's excited about going outside. It's her way of telling us to hurry up and get the door open. Her manners aren't that good - I'm trying to work on them in spite of my husband who doesn't mind the poor manners.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh yes- he's very vocal. We love it, although sometimes he will "talk back" when we tell him to do something he doesn't want to!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Aww... that is adorable!

My cats do that but not Stark.

Stark talks to me during training (schH).... if I tell him to platz or sits he's now started to bark at me.. I can only imagine what he is saying; "Mom! Don't you realize there is a bad man over there that needs to be taken out immediatly?! And you put me in a platz?! Hello?! LET ME GO!!!" He doesn't break his sit or down but he will let me know he isn't happy about it....lol.

The funny thing is he doesn't do it when we are out and about in the general public - only when we are training on the field (obedience and protection). I have to laugh as does everyone else because he is just such a mellow, non-excitable dog that this is like a blessing in disguise! Hahaha..

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Our dog, Baron, will "talk" when he rolls over on his belly to get a belly rub. If you didn't know him it would sound just like a growl, but he stays on his back with his belly up for rubbing.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Scout does the "woo woo" thing. Layla talks in a more barking/moaning kind of way. And Kasey makes noises like a seal.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
We also had one female in the past (top show dog as it turned out) who used to "grunt" when she got excited when we really petted her. Sounded like a little pig!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
yeah, my GSD talks when i want her too lol and especially in the car. My Great Dane says "I wuv u". I have it on my old phone's video but not sure how to upload it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Mine whines, groans and moans....he makes these weird gargling noises when he is frustrated and doesn't want to comply, sometimes I have to turn my head so he doesn't see me almost laugh....yes, Jake is a talker.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
dodger only talks to me when I make him do something he doesn't want to do. like getting off the bed in the morning, especially a weekend, or moving him so I can stretch out. or my favorite when it's pouring outside and he wants to go for a walk, but when I open the door to show him the rain he moans and groans all the way back to his bed, then lays there with his back to me pouting, only looking over his shoulder to glare at and bark at me. I wish I had it on film it was quite funny. and yes I did laugh in full view of him. :D

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Apache is the most vocal, and if the woo wooing doesn't get me he paws me as if to say "hay you I'm talking to you".
If I am sitting in the recliner, Kiya will park her butt by me to scratch her, if I don't she stomps her tail as my husband calls it. She also starts to woo woo if the tail banging didn't get me. This is only at night when she's ready to go to bed. It's her way of saying "ok lets go potty so I can have my cookie and go to bed". Silly girl has been starting early it wasn't even 9pm. I couldn't stand her anymore so I let her out, she came in got her cookie and went right in to her bed. I bet some people wish their kids were that good.
Lakota loves to howl, she even learned if she wants to take a toy from Apache, all she has to do is start howling, he chimes in, she takes toy.
I have a very loud house.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
No :( My dog doesn't talk to me. I wish he did. Sometimes he burps at me, does that count? lol
dodger does that too lol. I think he does it on purpose because he'll waits until he's sitting next to me, turn his head so his face is in mine and let's it rip. brat :mad:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Abby is very vocal either telling us she wants something, doesn't like something or is talking or growling while we play.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wolfie is a talker. I love it when he talks. He does the woo woo woo and all kinds of other sounds too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Georgia is also a talker the most recent conversation was just the other night...It was the first night after going in for surgery to be spade (sp) she was curled up on her bed with a blanket over her when out of no where she gets up comes over to me and lays on the floor with her belly facing me, looking at her belly and then me she started wwoo wwooing , moaning, and growling as if to say to me " what happened to me down there and why does it feel like this .....do some thing would you" it was so sweet it was like she was trying to ask me to help her feel better.....**** dog turns me into a mush

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm trying VERY VERY hard to enforce Banjo's "nnnnoooo" sound. It sounds like "no", and he makes it sometimes when he's given a command that is not to his liking. It's a tough one to train as it's kinda before the actual command is done, but I don't want to reward a situation wherein the command is not followed BUT the "no" noise is.

He also moans when I rub his ears just so, it's almost x-rated type moaning too. He'll do it so long that he runs out of air and has to take a noisy deep breath afterward.

Gurgling and general noises for a whole mess of things. He communicates rather well. I have been trained to recognize several types of barks, growls and yaps he has. I can pretty much tell what's going on outside just listening to what Banjo is doing, it's a good feeling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Opie is a big time talker. Wooing, groaning, he is vocal a lot. But he truly howls like a wolf or coyote when I play my harmonica. I'm going to try to work up a song to accentuate his lead vocal.

Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts