German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8mo used to sleep in her own bed in the living room but now in summer she sleep on my bed with me because it is very hot in the living room....so is it okay to
Have her sleeping with me..??

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never in the beds for sleeping, dogs are welcome to come up in the morning once the wife and I are awake and call them up.

Sleeping in beds if for humans only. Couches are generally fair game. we have two so there is usually sitting room as well for us, if not dogs are told down and they comply quite readily.

Our GSD is still only 10 weeks and his crate is at the foot of the bed, the Heeler Mix has her dog bed on my side and the Border Collie who refuses to use a dog bed. she prefers sleeping on the wife side of the bed

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Yes :grin2: but more often than not he ends up on the floor or his bed after a bit then back up when he hears my alarm in the morning.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My dog is weird - all summer he happily slept in the lounge on the carpet, now that winter is approaching he wants to sleep outside in the cold on the concrete

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Max will sleep in bed every night. Luna will sleep in bed in stints some weeks it’s every night then she will take breaks and sleep down stairs. One thing I find they sleep in the same spot all night which I never had a dog that did that lol! Dogs are clean and they don’t seem to smell so they are allowed in the bed. Sometimes my chihuahua will sneak i from my daughter bed in my room.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Max, Newlie and now Rocky have all slept in bed with me during their time. I don't remember Max ever getting down on the floor at night, but Newlie did quite a bit and Rocky does some. They get hot, I think, so jump down on the floor and then jump back up after a bit. I have become so used to it that I don't even notice, they just do their thing while I am dead to the world.

·
Super Moderator
4,745 Posts
My gal-dog jumped up on the bed about a half hour before it was time to get up and decided that she had an itch! The entire bed shook as she scratched but my hubby and I dealt with it. Good thing she doesn't do that all the time.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Max, Newlie and now Rocky have all slept in bed with me during their time. I don't remember Max ever getting down on the floor at night, but Newlie did quite a bit and Rocky does some. They get hot, I think, so jump down on the floor and then jump back up after a bit. I have become so used to it that I don't even notice, they just do their thing while I am dead to the world.
Yes I sleep with the fan even in winter so the room is always super cool so I’m sure it is why they don’t get overheated and comfortable. Gsds seem to overheat fast when sleeping lol!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Huds has always slept with us and I prefer it now especially since I’m a single dog dog mom now ?

I find he gets me to bed earlier and makes sleep more of a priority for me because he starts herding towards the bed around 9 pm LOL

If he gets warm he hops to the floor for crate time but I think I sleep better with his little derp head resting on my feet. They’ve done studies that say your anxiety goes down wth a dog in the bed and i believe it.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I have slept everywhere imaginable with a dog or dogs curled around me. Cars, tents, abandoned buildings, barns and on the ground. Lol.
I can't see why the bed should be any different and frankly I sleep better. There is something soothing about a dog snoring and twitching next to you.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Funny enough I actually sleep with them!

We have our living room the official "dog room." So they have access to a good portion of the house but the rest is blocked off for our cats safety as our older dog Murdoc isn't good with the 2 cats.

So they get our couch that folds out into a bed. I do in fact have a bedroom however I find it very soothing (aside from the random squeaky toy in my ear at 3 am) to sleep with my dogs. I think both of them really enjoy the human company, as do I with the dog company.

I started sleeping out there when Olivia was 2 months old and have continued till this day (6 months old.) Olivia doesn't really have "separation anxiety" but will whine if I don't sleep out there. I think it's more her feeling she has to protect her pack and since i'm her favorite person/owner she gets nervous when I'm not there.

When I move out and get my own apartment/house she (and I) will actually get to sleep in a proper human bed but for now the fold out bed it is.

I don't know why I find it peaceful to sleep with dogs, perhaps it's because I never had one until now.

-Alyssa

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Inga sleeps in her kennel in the living room, so we may sleep until we naturally wake up without rowdy greetings and nose probbing while semi concious. In addition, we like to be able to wake up enough to go to the bathroom at night without the "I thought I'd never see you again!" over the top greeting behavior while trapped in the bathroom.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Funny enough I actually sleep with them!

We have our living room the official "dog room." So they have access to a good portion of the house but the rest is blocked off for our cats safety as our older dog Murdoc isn't good with the 2 cats.

So they get our couch that folds out into a bed. I do in fact have a bedroom however I find it very soothing (aside from the random squeaky toy in my ear at 3 am) to sleep with my dogs. I think both of them really enjoy the human company, as do I with the dog company.

I started sleeping out there when Olivia was 2 months old and have continued till this day (6 months old.) Olivia doesn't really have "separation anxiety" but will whine if I don't sleep out there. I think it's more her feeling she has to protect her pack and since i'm her favorite person/owner she gets nervous when I'm not there.

When I move out and get my own apartment/house she (and I) will actually get to sleep in a proper human bed but for now the fold out bed it is.

I don't know why I find it peaceful to sleep with dogs, perhaps it's because I never had one until now.

-Alyssa
Consider this. In the early days of the human/dog relationship the dogs had multiple uses. They helped us find and kill food, and they defended us and our possessions. They acted as a warning system to alert us to intruders and presumably at some point early humans discovered that dogs were warm to curl up next to.
It is likely ingrained somewhere in our genetics to sleep easier knowing that our companions are near, and that with their much sharper senses will warn us of any threat.
Either way, I find that I as well sleep easier knowing the dogs are close. So enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
On invitation only. And even then he usually gets hot and doesn't stay long. My sleeping arrangements vary, I have joint custody of my kids so when they are with me it is not uncommon to have a kid in the bed. On my kid free time sometimes I am with my BF, sometimes alone. Hence all the invite only, sometimes there is room, sometimes there isn't. He has a bed right next to my side for when he is off the bed. My son with autism loves the weight of him when he is in bed. Like a living weighted blanket lol

So, it depends.

And it is a little sad, I will admit, that the weeks this summer that I know my BF will be away and my ex will have the kids - I am kind of looking forward to wine-book-dogs in bed evenings lol Big L on the forehead lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
On invitation only. And even then he usually gets hot and doesn't stay long. My sleeping arrangements vary, I have joint custody of my kids so when they are with me it is not uncommon to have a kid in the bed. On my kid free time sometimes I am with my BF, sometimes alone. Hence all the invite only, sometimes there is room, sometimes there isn't. He has a bed right next to my side for when he is off the bed. My son with autism loves the weight of him when he is in bed. Like a living weighted blanket lol

So, it depends.

And it is a little sad, I will admit, that the weeks this summer that I know my BF will be away and my ex will have the kids - I am kind of looking forward to wine-book-dogs in bed evenings lol Big L on the forehead lol
I'm right there with ya. For us it's on invitation only and usually only if it's been a good day or the hub is gone. When he is gone my son has sometimes ended up in there with us too. At first I was a little nervous about all of us together, but when my dog diligently stayed in my husband's spot all night to keep my son from rolling off the bed, I got over it :)

I also like the weight of him on my legs, which my husband can't stand. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he seems to like sleeping on top of my husband and instead wants to "cuddle" with me. This usually results in my husband waking up cursing at 2 am because either a) there is a large dog on top of him or b) there is a dog butt in his face. When the husband is gone, wine-book-dog is where it's at! I know dogs in bed is not a thing for everyone (and there are a ton of people that will advocate against it) but waking up with my face buried in a big fluffy dog neck and my shepherd curled around me is kinda one of the best things in life ever.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
He gives me a lot of comfort at night, when I am alone with the kids or alone period. Even when he is on his place on the floor right next my side.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yup, both dogs.... Areli sleeps with her leg over my shoulder most of the time and her nose on my pillow (not fun during summer but winter adds warmth). Akivah tends to snuggle in the curve of my legs.. may be uncomfortable sometimes but we'll worth it

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
There's no choice when we're camping. The tent is small so we have to shoe horn everyone in. Everyone manages fine just the same.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts