German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ava is always with me everywhere I go in the house. (In fact, there is a meme on Facebook right now with a photo of two GSDs in front of a closed door in a house, and the caption reads: "How I always know where my wife is." :D) Of course, I do her training and I am her primary handler, so I think it's natural that she would prefer me. She loves my husband--her "daddy"--but if I leave a room, she follows me, whereas if he leaves the room and I stay, she stays with me.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
All the dogs in our household, permanent or foster, love me the most. Given the choice, they're always in whatever room I'm occupying; if I kick them out, they sit outside the door making sad faces. Being an R+ trainer with a whole lot of cookie jars sure does let me cheat at winning the fosters' affection in no time flat. ;)

Crookytail does love my husband and will sit near him if I'm not home. He is also happy to attempt working with my husband and gets very excited at the prospect of going out on a walk with him.

Pongu hates my husband, responds to any cue from him with an unmistakable "F you" expression, and flat-out refuses to go on a walk with him if I'm home. He will go right up the leash at my husband and then run off and bang on the door until I let him back in. If I'm not home, Pongu will very reluctantly go out to potty and then put on the brakes and refuse to go more than a block from our home.

Sometimes I feel like I should make some effort to fix this, but I'm a bad person and it makes me laugh (plus Pongu has very good bite inhibition and although he bites my husband constantly, he hardly ever leaves a scratch) so I never have and I most likely never will. Our circumstances are such that my husband hardly ever has to do anything with the dogs -- I'm the primary caretaker/handler/trainer and do everything with the booger monsters -- and while Pongu's undying hatred of my husband could be a source of considerable friction in another home, it is actually pretty harmless comedy for us. He has impeccable self-control in that one area of life, at least, and it's never been anything remotely close to a real danger.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Me. I imagine that a lot of the folks who post on this forum and, thus, respond to this question, are the ones who are more engaged with the day-to-day life of the dog. So, it probably won't be surprising to see that the overwhelming number of responses reflect that fact. : )

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
me:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oy is my shadow so far. Always under my feet and always has his eye on me. I think it might upset my boyfriend a little bit. I try and explain that I'm the one he sees most of the day, but he will still sulk and say "he loves you more."
I think this will change in the future when he grows up a bit and can go for walks around the neighborhood with him. He's quarantined until he gets all of his shots, so hes stuck with me ALL day!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Me, the male, and ultimate pack leader.

He doesn't always listen to my wife, but that is also because she gives up, or doesn't know how to distract and change his mood on a whim like I do.

I also know how to speak clear commands to our guy, "NO, upstairs, outside, sit". Wife has been known to use commands like "Hey, you should go upstairs, or why not go out".... GSD's don't understand sentences. lol.

·
Registered
32,344 Posts
Jax - All me.

Sierra - All Scott

Banshee - All son

Chaos - I would say Scott. She's a very gentle soul and Scott is not as high strung as me so she gravitates to him.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Mine does. :)
Mine too!

Well, more accurately, he knows how to interpret specific key words + intonations + body language. A lot of my "commands" are things like "hey bongobottoms, why don't you go get me a toy" or "hey wienerbasket, let's practice some Heeling" and while Pongu responds unerringly, I am sure it's more than the words alone that he is responding to.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
The dog's natural instinct is to be together with the leader of the pack. They sense who is the leader by body language. For instance - the inferior walks and adresses to superior more often than that one to the inferior. The inferior sounds more often than the superior in any, even the most friendly, arguments. The inferior always feeds the superior. That superior could be a child, around whom the whole universee rotates, not only the household. But you can change your dog's attitudes by walkng him on your own and taking on the responsibility of his training.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Tuke and Zoey (Zoe was supposed to be the wife's dog) are both glued to me. Tuke will go outback to hang out with the kids if I'm being "boring", Zoey stays glued to me regardless. Ranger is DWs, but if the 2 girls are following me around he will to.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think it's split between my GF, myself, the mail delivery people and our neighbors. lol.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Me. While Jaeger loves my husband, he always looks to me first. If I leave the room, he follows. When we get home, he has to kiss me first, even if hubby is calling him over, lol. If I'm not home, he snuggles up to hubby, but once I'm there, he's my shadow. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
Both dogs love both of us, but if they had to make a choice, Halo would choose my husband and Keefer would chose me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts