German Shepherds Forum banner

221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
My dogs make me feel safer in my house, especially if I am home alone. They also make me feel safer on walks.

However this isn't because I think they'd protect me(although I certain they would) but just the fact that a large dog especially of certain breeds is a large deterance just because of its looks. Well and the fact that it means I have company.

If somebody breaks into my house I know my dogs will bark their fool heads off(alert system) and at least one of them would attack the person, however I do not expect them to and is rather they didn't. It's my job to ptotect them, and unfortunately I don't know if a shotgun pump would scare somebody off if the dogs didn't but I could try. Along with calling the cops of course.

·
Super Moderator
4,749 Posts
My dogs make me feel safer in my house, especially if I am home alone. They also make me feel safer on walks.

However this isn't because I think they'd protect me(although I certain they would) but just the fact that a large dog especially of certain breeds is a large deterance just because of its looks. Well and the fact that it means I have company.

If somebody breaks into my house I know my dogs will bark their fool heads off(alert system) and at least one of them would attack the person, however I do not expect them to and is rather they didn't. It's my job to ptotect them, and unfortunately I don't know if a shotgun pump would scare somebody off if the dogs didn't but I could try. Along with calling the cops of course.

I know a gal who has a couple of dobermans. She was taking a nap on her couch with the dogs when someone foolishly tried coming in her front door. When she and both dogs looked up, the intruder decided he was mistaken and left in a hurry.

DUH!>:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I do feel safer with my GSD around in that I can use her better senses to be aware of whats going on. She is very nasty/intimidating in protection and her bark and hold could be used as a good deterrent too. If it actually came to some kind of physical danger I would rather put myself in harms way than risking my dog getting hurt. For actual protection I have guns.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I currently live in a super safe country but used to live in an incredibly dangerous one. We had to stay on alert 24/7.

I recently went out of town for a week and couldn't take my GSD with me. I was up all night, most nights, hearing each little sound, creak and footstep. I realised after a few days that even though I now live in a country with minimal violent crime, my GSD still does a lot for my sense of personal security. He's my eyes and ears at night and lets me have a proper night's sleep.

Now that I'm back home, I sleep soundly. Even my partner (who's lived here all his life, and doesn't know fear for personal safety like I do) agreed that he will always have a dog in the house.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Absolutely. Always have for the most part. Its our job to protect them too, but its nice knowing you have something watching your back if you ever need it. To me its a tit for tat in a way. I'll watch your back if you watch mine type deal. My dogs know I can pretty much anything that comes our way, but the times the dogs have " spoken up" so to speak with strange people or animals I thought it wise to listen. And I can think of three times as a kid when our dogs saved me or my family from what could have been bad situations. Twice where strange people came to our house " uninvited" and once with a rattlesnake. So yes they make me feel safer....

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Ok, we got GSDs because of their kool power and guarding ability among other things, right? So my dogs bark at the other dogs, and occasionally when the neighbors are out, but they are weenie-barks, like, "I want to play too!!!" Occasionally when the neighbors have their dogs it is a little amped up, like "I REALLY want to PLAY, NOW!!!" But when the UPS or FedX man or God forbid, a salesman or contractor comes over, or meter reader, they give me the business bark! So I know if there are strangers about.

And for some reason, they manage to do the business bark. more often than not, when I am in the shower, getting ready to shampoo my hair, and on schedule (or late) for wherever I need to be. So, do I jump out of the shower and peek out the window, or say to heck with them, and finish my shower and figure out later who called.

Today was a "to heck with them" day, and it was fedx bringing Christmas for a certain little boy and girl. Ah Chewey.com. Yesterday, he came with the cots, and I got one made up for Jenna and Kojak this morning, and today they brought the bone with a rope, and the nylabone dino and the little squirrel game refills, that we are calling chipmunks, one of which went to Kojak, one to the werewolf, and the other will be an inside toy, named Chipmunk.

Not sure if it made me feel safer or not to KNOW that someone was out there while I was showering though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a 5ft2 girl, I definitely feel safer, even though my area is pretty safe. I can go for walks at night or in the woods without having to go with other friends or family.

It's mostly for show though. My 1-year-old pup is such a softie. He loves every human he meets, so I'm not sure how much he would actually help with if I was ever being attacked...

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Saw a sign online that said:
You might get in, but you won't get out! (Had a pic of a GSD and an AR15). That would work.:wink2:
That is what I have, but no AR15, just a BIG paw print.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
We absolutely feel safer at home. We sleep upstairs, and feel comfortable leaving the windows open downstairs at night. I've come up the steps at night unexpectedly, my girls scare even scare me then until they hear my voice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in a fairly safe neighborhood even with the moderate price tags on homes here, but we get lots of reports of cars rummaged through on the neighborhood FB group because people don't lock cars then get mad. On occasion someone reports hearing their front doorknob tried but not finding anyone there. Mainly its just people checking cars for drugs and guns to steal (Texas problems).

I keep everything locked because I know if they get in the car they can get into the garage and into the house via the garage opener, so mine's always locked and I've never had a problem. I do feel a bit more safe with Breaux here because I know that if someone tries the door his bark will set them straight before they can come in. These are suburban wannabe burglars after all. Sub-burglars if you will, lol!

I'm looking for a sign I like for the yard. Even though I have kids I'm leaning towards "Beware of dog (the cat is shady as f*** also)" but its not censored lol Nothing a little black electrical tape can't censor.

I'm in a cul-de-sac with a state trooper living across the street whose cruiser is parked outside each night when he's not on border patrol, and two fire fighters. I mean, it's safe here, kids run freerange through the neighborhood all day like its the 90s, but it doesn't hurt to have a good big doggo even if he's a goofball more than a guard dog. I mean look at that face, so fierce right? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I feel a lot more secure not just with a German Shepherd or any sort of breed that is naturally intimidating. I feel more secure with any positive presence around, as I have a bit of anxiety, but having my old GSD Hero at my side did bring me a lot of courage I didn't know I had. He made me get out more, explore places I normally would've never gone, and with that dog I knew that if someone or some large animal was being aggressive, he would come between us and try to protect me. He was not trained to do so, but he was very aloof and weary of new people and animals. He would let me know if something was coming, too, or if he heard an out of ordinary sound I could always tell.

I'll share an experience. Once my dog and I were walking back from a hike through the woods surrounding my old house. The neighbor BYB had a huge pack of maybe 20 dogs at least, who sometimes roamed freely as a pack. They were assorted breeds, some large some small some aggressive some not. You get the jist.

Well this PACK was blocking the entire road to get back up my driveway, every pair of eyes just watching us walk every step of the way. Hero was off lead at first, as I normally let him hike off leash. The first thing he did was start trotting towards them, ears and tail up. Bad. I recalled, leashed him, and with him at my side and a heavy stick on the other, we managed to walk past the dogs without any touching. They gave us a wide berth because I was yelling a lot lol.

Stupid as the situation was, Hero didn't duck his tail and run. He would've marched right up to them and chased em all home, I'd seen him do it before. I think both of us made each other braver in that situation, honestly. Without one or the other, neither of us would've been able to pass those dogs out of fear. But I wasn't gonna have a fight, and he behaved perfectly when I took over.

So yeah, with the right dog I will feel secure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel a lot more secure not just with a German Shepherd or any sort of breed that is naturally intimidating. I feel more secure with any positive presence around, as I have a bit of anxiety, but having my old GSD Hero at my side did bring me a lot of courage I didn't know I had. He made me get out more, explore places I normally would've never gone, and with that dog I knew that if someone or some large animal was being aggressive, he would come between us and try to protect me. He was not trained to do so, but he was very aloof and weary of new people and animals. He would let me know if something was coming, too, or if he heard an out of ordinary sound I could always tell.

I'll share an experience. Once my dog and I were walking back from a hike through the woods surrounding my old house. The neighbor BYB had a huge pack of maybe 20 dogs at least, who sometimes roamed freely as a pack. They were assorted breeds, some large some small some aggressive some not. You get the jist.

Well this PACK was blocking the entire road to get back up my driveway, every pair of eyes just watching us walk every step of the way. Hero was off lead at first, as I normally let him hike off leash. The first thing he did was start trotting towards them, ears and tail up. Bad. I recalled, leashed him, and with him at my side and a heavy stick on the other, we managed to walk past the dogs without any touching. They gave us a wide berth because I was yelling a lot lol.

Stupid as the situation was, Hero didn't duck his tail and run. He would've marched right up to them and chased em all home, I'd seen him do it before. I think both of us made each other braver in that situation, honestly. Without one or the other, neither of us would've been able to pass those dogs out of fear. But I wasn't gonna have a fight, and he behaved perfectly when I took over.

So yeah, with the right dog I will feel secure.
I have heard this sentiment echoed many times and I have come to agree with it. I believe a dog makes people feel safer from two stand points. The first being the security and safety stand point, and the second being from a perspective of quelling anxiety. I am yet to get my shepherd, it's proving to be a long process because my room mates and I can't agree on a pupper yet. However, from my experience with shepherds in the past, they usually help in both of the above departments. They are very loyal and loving breeds and this helps put their owners at ease. Also, they can be very intimidating to people (and other breeds) that are unfamiliar with them. This is an asset that most big dogs possess, which makes them great companions and the perfect means for people to feel safe while they are at home or walking around late at night. All in all, I do believe that the right dog can make you feel so much safer

·
Registered
58 Posts
YES- way safer. My 13yr old told me a 'creepy man' aka peadofile on her school bus was asking her innappropriate sexual questions. I asked her to call me n i can meet her off of the bus n not to get off bus. 3 months later, i got the call. I ran with 2 large male rotties n a giant male gsd to bus stop. Bus pulled up i got on with 3 dogs to a shouting bus driver saying i cant bring dogs on. Ignored him. Walked to where my daughter sat crying. Man had just asked her "do you fxxxx urself with ur fingers?". She pointed to the man sat behind her. I opened up all 3 dogs to 'hold n bark' till police arrived. Or i lost control. He was covered in saliva. But not bitten. Dogs were under my control but I wanted to kill him. So tempting to give command to bite - held off in case he tried to run. Im not an aggro sort of person. But my dogs n i knew "we got this". Scum bag on bus arrested charged n incarcerated. I know tales of females protecting their young. But i am a natural coward n know i only was able to do this as had 300lbs of teeth n muscle backing me up. For intruders im more worried about poisoned food or stabbing of dog or other horrendous injury.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
YES- way safer. My 13yr old told me a 'creepy man' aka peadofile on her school bus was asking her innappropriate sexual questions. I asked her to call me n i can meet her off of the bus n not to get off bus. 3 months later, i got the call. I ran with 2 large male rotties n a giant male gsd to bus stop. Bus pulled up i got on with 3 dogs to a shouting bus driver saying i cant bring dogs on. Ignored him. Walked to where my daughter sat crying. Man had just asked her "do you fxxxx urself with ur fingers?". She pointed to the man sat behind her. I opened up all 3 dogs to 'hold n bark' till police arrived. Or i lost control. He was covered in saliva. But not bitten. Dogs were under my control but I wanted to kill him. So tempting to give command to bite - held off in case he tried to run. Im not an aggro sort of person. But my dogs n i knew "we got this". Scum bag on bus arrested charged n incarcerated. I know tales of females protecting their young. But i am a natural coward n know i only was able to do this as had 300lbs of teeth n muscle backing me up. For intruders im more worried about poisoned food or stabbing of dog or other horrendous injury.
Why was this man allowed on your daughters school bus? Did he work for the bus company ? Crazy. This is where cell phones and I can see bark and hold can come in real handy. Good for you!!!!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
How did an abusive male get onto a child’s school bus? What kind of training do your dogs have? You are very lucky a child didn’t panic and get injured while you were using your dogs to hold someone off. That kind of action worries me a lot, for our breed and for Rotties. They get enough bad press as it is. You also defied bus company policies. If that happened here, the dog owner might be looking at charges.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do any of the guys feel like female dogs look to us for security much like our "women" look to us for security?

When I walked our previous GSD I didn't feel I had to be on as high alert to our surroundings with him as I have felt when walking girl dogs.

Ranger is still young so I still feel like i have to be on alert for him if we see a cat or rabbit or even a butterfly flutter past our path.

Maverick felt more like my bodyguard - like he was on alert for me. If that makes sense

221 - 240 of 257 Posts