German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question applies to all dogs,not just those with PPD training. I like the fact that Casja will alert when someone is at my door,but I know that she would basically give anyone the grand tour if they wanted to take something. So I don't feel 'safe',but don't feel 'unsafe' either if that makes sense.

How much more secure do you feel with your dogs?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
With a 130 lb. 32 inch high GSD very secure:). I had to laugh when I had some remodeling done last spring, I had the door unlocked. So one day the carpenters came early (and my Sting who knew them had let them pet him) - well they opened the back door and the growling/barking started - I heard the door slam shut, and came out to find Sting standing by the closed door and the 2 carpenters respectfully standing outside. After that, they always knocked first and waited for me to come to the door if they came early.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am a single girl living in the city, I live in a good neighbourhood but there is a mall near me so lots of different people.

I walk a lot at night due to my schedule at work so I do feel a bit safer with my 2 dogs with me.

They are a deterrent, for sure. People give me a wide berth when I am walking around the busy streets.

Stark would probably shut down if someone came at us or run, but I know Zefra would relish in the fight... LOL. I also feel a lot better knowing that Zefra has done some hidden sleeve work and real life scenarios in training and will listen to a recall or a bark and hold if I ask, and if necessary.. a bite.

I protect my dogs first, but they definitely make people think twice. :)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
No.
If someone entered my home, I would fear for Kira's safety. Since she is a GSD, most would expect her to be protective, and may try to inflict harm on her.

On a bright note.... She would alert me, and give me enough time to choose between "Smith & Wesson" or a "louisville Slugger" :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Oh, and wanted to add... I usually walk at night with a friend of mine (Wild Wolf on this forum) and her dog Hunter.... so it's us two girls and our 3 German Shepherds..... yeah... people think twice... or three times for that matter. ;)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
As much as being around people makes me feel safe, the fact I have two sets of keen noses and ears makes me feel even safer :D.

It doesn't hurt Delgado can back up his bark with a nasty bite if needed ;). Though I'd never ask him to :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
All of my dogs are my first alert. We (hubby or I) will take care of things after the initial alert.

Nothing says, "You are NOT welcomed here!" like four madly barking dogs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No.
If someone entered my home, I would fear for Kira's safety. Since she is a GSD, most would expect her to be protective, and may try to inflict harm on her.

On a bright note.... She would alert me, and give me enough time to choose between "Smith & Wesson" or a "louisville Slugger" :)
Smith and Wesson is always a better choice :D

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yes. People on the street will usually give me the wide berth as I am walking with Bear. Also Bear is very sensitive to sounds in close proximity to the house and lets us know if something is up.
Not too long ago my daughter came home from college to surprise us, she came through the garage and was having a hard time with the lock. Bear went ballistic because someone was trying to get in, he couldn't hear my daughter's voice because he was so worked up, needless to say my heart was racing a mile a minute because I thought someone was trying to break in. He finally heard it was her and calmed down.
I think if anyone heard his bark it would definitely be a deterrant.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Yes, I feel more secure as my boy's sight and hearing day or night can alert me to any problem that may occur, and then it is up to me to address that problem by any means that is necessary.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Very, very secure.

People avoid me and Hunter, most cross the street. Very secure doing our late night walks just me and him (midnight to 2am range usually).

People who don't know him are afraid to come in the house. He will not allow entry without me allowing the person in, but will sit and watch them intensely when in the house.

If I ask him to defend me, he does so confidently and very enthusiastically.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always love the extra space you suddenly get when you have a large dog with you. I've seen some people run across the street when they see me walking Paddie,and she's in a wheelchair:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes. They absolutely do...even if I KNOW they wouldn't do anything.

Case in point: One evening (during my college days) there was a random knock at the door and my shepherd started going off as per usual. I couldn't tell you why I did it, it was really stupid, but I just opened the door. There on the other side of my glass door was a very large man. A complete stranger.

He made eye contact with me then proceeded to look down, made eye contact with both of the dogs. A glance to my left. A glance to my right. Made eye contact with me again, and promptly said, "Uh, sorry. Wrong house." He then quickly turned and walked away. I was left standing in my doorway thinking, "Oh, ok. Sure."

Later I realized how stupid a thing I had done. However, it goes to show that most people avoid you when you have large, intense dogs whether you're on the street or in your own home. My shepherd will stare down anyone she sees. I know she just wants attention and scratches, but no one else knows that. They just see a large, black german shepherd staring them down from across the street. I'm more than ok with that. In fact, I love it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
At home, yes.

She is a derterent.

She will bark at people at the door, and she has different barks depending on the person's actions. (she can see as my front door is full patterened glass and they can see her, although more difficult).

Walking, I've never had the need to want to feel secure with or without my dog, but, if I were to meet a questionable person I'd want her with me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Absolutely. We were the victims of a home invasion a couple of years ago and our two older boys alerted my husband that something was amiss downstairs in enough time for him to handle the situation before any harm could come to us. They absolutely make me feel safer when my husband is not at home, which happens pretty often with his job in the military. I don't think we'll ever not have a dog (or two, or three) in the house.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
at home, no, my male aussie is the alert button and wouldn't hesitate to corner a male intruder he wasn't familiar with. Masi, nope, "come on in" is her motto, tho if salesmen come to the door, she will stand there staring at them which can make a stranger nervous for sure:)

Out in public, yes I feel very safe, walking/hiking, whatever. THo she's never been in a situation where she's 'had' to defend me, she is very very stand offish, aloof, does alot of staring if I'm stopped talking to some"stranger",,but she does make me feel safer out in public.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts