German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gunther loves the vet :) went in yesterday and they had to run some tests in the back and the vet tech came back saying he was having too much fun giving everyone high fives and hand shakes haha :) He barks though but thats because the people aren't in our room yet and he want to play with them haha (in his brain shots are playing :rolleyes:)

He gets loads of treats and is a real people dog so I think that helped him have a better view on the place. :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My dog is fine with going to the vet. I tried to make a point when he was little to go every month (twice a month when he was a puppy) to get weighed and to say "hi".
Everyone at the vet's office knows Bear and he's used to going there every month so he's ok with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i love my vet. they encourage people to bring in the pups any time they please, not just for appointments. some tech is always available for pets and licks. the receptionists are the same way. taking them when there is no appointment really is effective.

·
Registered
32,046 Posts
My vets are really good with the dogs. They take the time to let the dog approach them and get down on their level so they all behave quiet well. Banshee is the only one with a real issue at the vet's where she might bite so I handle her. Sierra is terrified when she goes in but the vets are very patient with her to help her overcome it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Niko hates the vets he has to be muzzled for them to do anything which really stinks cause he's so tense they can't really give him a thorough exam:(

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
My vet is like Michelles, yet my dogs are like Niko!
I muzzle Karlo and Onyx, they aren't into strangers invading their space.
Kacie doesn't like it, but tolerates it. So far, I've never had to muzzle her.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My dogs are pretty indifferent. When we did their health testing, they slept on the floor in the waiting room while waiting their turn.

They go in, stand for exam, get what needs getting and we leave. I am not too worried about how much they love the vet, just that whatever happens there must be tolerated.

If we are going to flip them on their back for xrays, then so be it. They trust nothing will happen while I am there and I have never had a problem with any vet procedures being done.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
All 3 of mine are good at the vet and the vet is great with them. I tell them if they need to muzzle anyone its fine with me, but they don't ever do so. They don't rush the dogs, they talk to them, offer a treat, make them comfortable. There is no barking or growling.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My smaller dogs want to sit on me and shed a lot. Riley seems indifferent so far.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Only when she goes with us when the appointment is for one of our cats. She loves being the "supportive" one.

For herself - no. She's a good girl, but she trembles and her heart races.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Lara is very excited at the vet. She cries when they leave the room sometimes and tries to follow them into the back area :p and wiggles and wags while they're there. She doesn't notice getting thermometers stuck in there and doesn't seem to feel shots lol. She gets a good bellyful of treats every time and thinks its great

·
Registered
90 Posts
I only have one dog that is scared of the vet. She is a husky mix. But she has had a lot more vet visits than my gsd. She has had surgery a couple times. So when we go its like she expects the worst and hides behind me. She used to like going to the vet. They would say she's like examing a human. She would hold perfectly still and let them do whatever they want.The only problem I have with my gsd is other dogs. He is not a fan of other animals. So when I bring him they send him straight into a room. But he has never had a bad experience. He is 14 and fortunately only has been for regular check ups.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kaos hates the Vet. He pees in about 10 different spots before going in. But he is friendly and lets the vet and techs do what they need to do. He even stayed still enough for a couple acupuncture treatments. It was funny seeing him look like a pin cushion.....

Havoc is still a pup so he doesn't know yet not to like the vet.....

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i got my dog when he was 9 weeks old. my Vet and trainer suggested
that we bring our pup to the Vet 2 or 3 times a week or more for
treats, petting and mock exams. everytime i took our dog to the Vet
i would say "let's go to the Vet". on the way to the vet's i would say
"let's go to the Vet, lots of treats and praise. when we arrived at the
Vet's more treats and praise. once inside the office the vet or a member
of her staff would come out and treat our pup, touch him all over, etc.
then i would tke our pup in the back and place him on the exam table.
then i would ride him up and down on the exam table and weigh him.
now when we go to the Vet i can say let's go to the Vet and our dog get's
his leash and sits beside the door waiting to go to the Vet. our Vet didn't
charge for the mock visits.

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
I used to do what doggiedad does.

Now I am getting pretty lazy.

But they all seem to be fine at the vet.

Usually I am the one handling the leash, but so far I have handed the leash off and and said "Go with her" with half a dozen or so of my dogs, and all of them have been perfectly ok with that. It is probably just that the vet techs know what they are doing, and the dog does not sense any negative vibes going on.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Both my dogs love the vets! I used to take them in almost weekly as pups for visits and treats! Even with all my male has been through recently (THR) he still goes in all happy to see everyone :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Wow I'm kind of surprised by all of the 'my dog likes the vet' responses c:. That's awesome! My dogs don't like the vet. We've only been a few times and they shed a lot, have to be muzzled and their hearts race. Smokey doesn't like the thermometer up the bum. He yelps at that. They don't like shots or blood draws or anal expressions...but they'll willingly go with someone else on leash...

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Both of mine are quiet and well behaved especially if I'm there, my vet is fantastic, he loves all over them and lets them lick him even in the mouth :sick: so they adore him. The only issue is Delgado can get barky if there are other dogs in his space (within 2-3 feet) so I leave him in the car until it's his turn unless there's a room available right away.

I was a little worried how loud Delgado would be when I left him for his neuter, there were lots of dogs and they have two cats who live at the clinic as well running around. Apparently he was great, there were four techs loving on him as I was waiting to pay and they had two funny stories to tell from the day:

One of the office cats kept running up to his kennel and rubbing against it then when Delgado would go to sniff the cat would run away. The cat did this over and over and finally Delgado got fed up and waited until the cat was rubbing again and did a loud BARK! in the cats face which scared the bejeebes out of it :D

I brought his blanket in with him so he'd have something to lie on that smelled like home, when the techs would walk by he'd be looking around the kennel for a toy to give them but there wasn't any so he'd grab the end of his blanket and whine and offer it to them. When the tech went back to get him when I came to pick him up he kept grabbing the end and pulling it out of the bag to give it to her as she was trying to stuff it into the bag and pushing it at her, so it was a funny tug of war game. She had tears running down her face as she was laughing so hard when she came back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts