German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our dog Molly, definitely is a girl that knows what she wants, especially on her walks. In the mornings, she takes me on a tour of all the squirrel trees in our neighborhood, then if we have time, to the tennis courts, then likes to be a "watchdog" for the park.

Earlier in the week, she let us take her to the beach, but last night she guided us straight to our neighbor's condo about 1 1/2 blocks away who owns Roxy, a boxer/pittbull mix so she could play. They are good friends. When they were done, Molly took us home. The other day, she refused to walk to the park area, walked in the opposite direction towards an area we seldom visit, (a residential area across a busy street), she knew to cross in the cross walk and proceed to go for a major "smells" walk.

What was most amazing was her memory of a walk we did 5 months ago at my mother's house which is a 3 hour drive from here. Last week at my mother's, I thought we'd go for an evening walk. I had planned to walk about a mile up her road, but halfway there, Molly stopped at this side street, looked at me like I want to go here, then I realized it was the same side street I took her on when we were here 5 months ago, it was dark then so I did not recognize at first. She then proceeded to take me on all the little side streets we originally took like we did it yesterday.

So I'm curious what interesting places or routes your dog has for you?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm one of those people who doesn't like taking the same route more then once a week, I'll take random turns all the time to go new places :)

At the dog parks we're more limited so we take the same route each time and the dogs know it by heart and will "lead" down the trails and stop to let us catch up lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
:)They are so smart, My (non-GSP) pup got out one day. He is only 11 months old and we had a door to door salesman at the door - he was sitting for a 1/2 hour with the door being open and being calm right by my Mom. Then I turned my head for a minute and we wondered where he was and he was missing. Looked all over the house because he never ever goes outside without us or our dog walker. Nowhere to be found. We opened the door again and here he was coming from down the street walking on the sidewalk like nothing was wrong. The dog walker came about an hour later and we discussed this with him, and he in turn said I know exactly where he went that is our rest area that we take on our walks- He loves to sit and watch the kids and other dogs there, and then we come home.
Silly dog I was not the least bit amused that he got out, but he was not worried at all ( the dog) because of course he knew where he was going. LOL.
We are more careful now with having the door open. Never had to worry before, but when Mommy is not looking babies tend to sprint for trouble. Trouble Makers.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, once we are out of our street, we let Jake decide where he wants to go for his walk - within reason that is.
_______
Sue

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
It doesn't matter where I take mine, when I tell her "Robyn, go home" she takes me right to the front door. I fall in love with her more every day:wub:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts