German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this, so if it doesn't belong here, I apologize.

Gunner loves to bury a ball in the yard. Not just any ball, one particular ball.
I buy rubber baseballs since I found the tennis balls were wearing down his teeth.
Anywho, one day he grabbed one of the older balls that for some reason, had become squishy. It expanded somewhat and is the only ball like it.
This is the only ball he ever attempts to bury.
Now here's the weird part. I swear he goes into a trance. :D
He'll be running, chasing balls, but as soon as he gets this ball in his mouth he starts pacing around the yard, looking for just the right place to bury it. No matter what I do or say, he keeps going like he doesn't see or hear me. I can call him, command him, doesn't matter, he's in his own little world. He'll do this for a few minutes, bury it, take it back out, find a new place and repeat.
Then after a few minutes of this, it's back to fun time.
He does this so often now that I just stand there and watch. It's pretty funny.
Does anyone have a dog that does this?

Here's a video I shot one day. It was on my cell, so not the best quality.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Can I borrow him? I have a dog that digs but DOESN'T fill the holes back in :)

It could be that the ball is very valuable to him, and he doesn't want anyone else to find or play with it. Too cute though!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he doesn't fill the hole in all the way. I shot for a minute, but after he pulls the ball back out, it still leaves a hole.
I have to push the dirt back in myself.

The yard as you can see is in sad shape, so I don't really care right now. But we plan on overhauling the yard this spring, so there will be no more digging (although I suspect Gunner won't abide by that rule). :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
He's so careful and tender with it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i wonder whats so special about that one. i dont think i've ever seen a dog actually bury something so carefully before.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
He puts it in the hole, ever so gently much like he does with bones.
I'm not sure if it's in this one, but he'll touch it with his nose as he's pushing the dirt over it. Kinda checking it to make sure it's alright I guess. :D

i wonder whats so special about that one. i dont think i've ever seen a dog actually bury something so carefully before.
I've yet to figure that out. The rubber balls usually get punctures and sometimes the rubber starts peeling off. For some reason this one is really squishy and it expanded, which is why I can tell it's the same one every time.
He only does it with this ball and never with a different one.
The minute he gets this ball his whole demeanor changes, his tail curls up somewhat and his eyes just seem like he's in a daze. It's so weird.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I can't watch your video from my work computer so I really can't see what his behavior is. But wanted to say the my Golden has seizures and other behavior problems that are based on his seizures. One of his behaviors is he takes his ball, drops it on the ground and then pulls out all the grass around the ball...picks up his ball and repeats the process..it last for a full minute or so. Then he'll want to play ball again.

I can call him, but he is in his zone. If I physically restrain him from doing it, he'll stop, so he isn't in a deep zoned out state. When you see it, you can almost feel it's a release of his. It's strange.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wait, are you saying you think he's having a seizure? :confused:

I hope he's not, geez, that's scary.

Since you can't see it, he digs at the dirt, puts the ball in and covers it with dirt with his nose. Then he'll pick the ball back out and re-bury it the same way, then pick it back out, shake it off and back to play time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, he doesn't fill the hole in all the way. I shot for a minute, but after he pulls the ball back out, it still leaves a hole.
I have to push the dirt back in myself.

The yard as you can see is in sad shape, so I don't really care right now. But we plan on overhauling the yard this spring, so there will be no more digging (although I suspect Gunner won't abide by that rule). :rolleyes:
Ah man, I was so hoping we could all pass him around as the hole filler :)

Our yard is sad too, covered in straw to combat the mud. Not looking forward to spring spruce-up time.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
All my dogs do is carry the ball around in their mouth... All day long! Except Sasha , if I don't throw it, she will toss it in the air herself with her own mouth or she drops the ball on the treadmill while I'm running. LoL

·
Registered
940 Posts
That's funny - he's SO careful with it!

I've seen dogs dig holes (sigh, our yard is a mine field right now it seems...) but I've never seen a dog bury something before and push the dirt back like that.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's funny - he's SO careful with it!

I've seen dogs dig holes (sigh, our yard is a mine field right now it seems...) but I've never seen a dog bury something before and push the dirt back like that.
He's very good at it. He not only buries the ball, but he tries to bury a bone in the house. He uses whatever is available to cover it. A blanket, a rope toy, anything nearby.
About half way through he buries the bone in the corner of the couch and uses his nose to cover it with a rope toy.
He is such a dork!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
:shocked: that's not a glow in the dark hollow ball with a hole in the side, is it? Jax has one of those that he "buries" around the house compulsively too. It's his favorite and he actually stole it from another dog at the park :blush: The first thing he did after the theft was hide it under the entertainment unit with the stereo stuff in it and pile pillows and things around it to hide his crime. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My first GSD(mix) would not eat a hot dog whole so if I gave her a whole hot dog she would hide it in any place she saw fit...in plants, in my bed, in the couch. It was funny, but very disgusting crawling into bed the 1st time to find it. After that I kept the bedroom door closed and had to cut hot dogs up if I really wanted her to eat it.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Funny, Max used to bury stuff either in the yard or hide it in a corner in the house. That was when we had our older female, he does not do it so much now that she is gone. I think he was hiding it from her.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Gunner said mom you keep showing everyone where i'am hiding my stuff! :)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gunner said mom you keep showing everyone where i'am hiding my stuff! :)
Well, in my defense, he's not real good at hiding anything. :D

And he knows I do it:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was funny, but very disgusting crawling into bed the 1st time to find it. After that I kept the bedroom door closed and had to cut hot dogs up if I really wanted her to eat it.
:rofl:
The visual of that is cracking me up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts