German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently bought a very good quality long nylon webbing lead. It lasted 2 weeks before ( last night ) Karma bit through it in one fell swoop. There are now 3 tears ( representing three teeth ) half way through the lead so I have simply knotted a loop to isolate them.

Now….this is no reflection on that product as Karma actually did this to two other shorter nylon leads of exact same quality and I have to say---- she is NOT a chewer. It was just a single bite . I actually think with large dogs if they get the lead in just the right place their large incisors etc go straight through the weave of nylon and cut straight through it so I am betting there are others out there who have had the same issue ?? Am I right ?

I think nylon webbing leads need to be doubled over to help with this which I know is going to make it stiff....

OR

DO any of you use leads made from sailing rope ? Similar to horse tacks ?

I think solid nylon rope is excellent stuff for dog leads and I for one am prepared to pay GOOD dollars for a heavy duty all weather no-nonsense lead that does not fail me.

What are your experiences with both ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
You might have to switch to leather, although that's no guarantee either. I've got one 1/4" leather lead that's about bitten halfway through, but the cut hasn't opened up in years.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I also have a ball with a length of mountaineering rope tied through it for a handle. That thing has lasted for a couple of years.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It doesn't matter what it is, my dog can saw his way through any type of leash in a couple of seconds if I let him get it back in his big molars. I can't tell you how many short leads I have thanks to him.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as white board markers are for white boards .....doesn't mean she doesn't sometimes use them on walls !!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The question is: Why is the lead in the dog's mouth?
A leash is not for play, or to tug or to chew on. It is only for correction. The dog should not be permitted to put it's mouth on the leash.
Maybe it's not a tug for your dog, but it can be for mine. If I don't have a ball or tug handy and I need to either work him up or reward him, he gets the leash. The trick is to make sure I make him drop it when I'm done tugging otherwise he chews it. It's my choice.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I saw a post a while ago about leads and collars woven out of that survival cord, I can't remember what it's called though. If I find it I'll send it to you. Looks like it's pretty indestructible since it's woven out of about 35 ft of cord

·
Registered
27,302 Posts
I've never had my dogs chew up lines, or even try to. Unless they are tethered out, there should be no opportunity to chew. If that is the case, then a chain or coated cable is better suited for tying out, but I am against tying out a dog,too-luckily I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Maybe it's not a tug for your dog, but it can be for mine. If I don't have a ball or tug handy and I need to either work him up or reward him, he gets the leash. The trick is to make sure I make him drop it when I'm done tugging otherwise he chews it. It's my choice.
It's your choice for sure, but it's a bit risky to use your primary restraint equipment like that

·
Registered
27,302 Posts
Many people who do agility or competitive obedience training will use a leash as a tug to get the dog engaged.
There are leashes made for this.Mighty Mite Dog Gear - Tug Leash

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It's your choice for sure, but it's a bit risky to use your primary restraint equipment like that
If you knew my dog you would realize that it's definitely not risky. LOL! He wears the leash pretty much just for the comfort of others, not because he needs one.

He does agility in addition to everything else and it's very common for people to use the leash as a tug. It's only my dog that chews through his.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
This is why I love Lupine products, if you can get them where you are. They have an unconditional guarantee of replacement if your dog chews through it. You just send the chewed up one back, and they replace it for free.
Lupine® Homepage

From the website:
LUPINE® products are
GUARANTEED (Even If Chewed)®

We understand the joys and frustrations of pet ownership! Although we can't replace the legs on your kitchen table or your best pair of shoes, we can do our part to help keep your best friend out of the doghouse.

Should anything happen to accidentally damage your Lupine product - including chewing mistakes -

you can try contacting any local Lupine retailers to see if they are able to replace the item for you. Not all retailers offer in-store exchange.

For a Dealer Locator by ZIP code, please go here.

Or simply mail the item to us:

Lupine Returns
PO Box 1600
Conway, NH 03818

Include your name, mail address & email or phone number.

Your replacement goes back in the mail the next business day after the damaged item is received.

There's no need to send the original receipt or our cost for the return postage.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
If you knew my dog you would realize that it's definitely not risky. LOL! He wears the leash pretty much just for the comfort of others, not because he needs one.

He does agility in addition to everything else and it's very common for people to use the leash as a tug. It's only my dog that chews through his.
I can appreciate having trust and confidence in your dog, but no dog is 100% predictable. What if it was he saw an agility course across the street and thought you told him to go for it and decided to cross traffic?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Interesting. Why? Why not a toy rather than the leash
For use in situations where a toy is not allowed, but a leash is required. I could also use one with Hunther, who is dog reactive in close quarters. When his mouth is already full, he ignores other dogs.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
When she was a puppy, my Malinois bit clean through a leather leash in one bite. It was a new leash, too. :( I have used nylon with puppies ever since. The leather leads are only for shows.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
For use in situations where a toy is not allowed, but a leash is required. I could also use one with Hunther, who is dog reactive in close quarters. When his mouth is already full, he ignores other dogs.
If a toy isn't allowed and you use a leash as a toy why is that not cheating?

·
Registered
27,302 Posts
Before you go into the ring, you tug a bit with the dog with the leash, you can't bring a toy in, so the leash works to get the dog going. It isn't 'cheating' because you are doing it before competing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stosh the survival cord is called paracord. This is a good blogspot for learning how to make things with it. Stromdrane.blogspot.com

1 - 20 of 40 Posts