German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I know every pup is an individual but after watching some videos about Malinois, I am getting nervous. lol

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
A lot of what you see in videos are high drive puppies being conditioned to build drive. Just like you can enhance the raw DNA, so can you suppress it within reason with environment and nurturing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did your Mal develop the black stripe like what sable GSD develops as they change colors? My little guy has a black stripe.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Black stripe? Down the back? No. She had more like an all over black shading. Right now most of it is gone but her sire is colored like she was she was younger. Let me see if I can find a picture of him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Black stripe? Down the back? No. She had more like an all over black shading. Right now most of it is gone but her sire is colored like she was she was younger. Let me see if I can find a picture of him.
I guess I am still trying to see if my pup has GSD in him. His coat is overall pretty dark too but he also has that distinct black line/stripe on top of his back like you see in pure sable GSD pups when their coat gets lighter before their adult coats come in.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I never paid attention until you mentioned it but, yea, she had a black stripe down her back when she was young.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Another thing about your dog is the black toes but no black bars down his front legs, and those tiny ears! GSDs have huge ears that they grow into while Mals have small rectangular ears.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Totally agree with the no black bars down his leg and the small ears. Before this breed discussion, I figured he was going to patterned out like my GSD because that's how she was when she was a pup. Anyways, thanks for all your help and feedback. I will continue to post pics as he grows.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Hi DChuck84,

I have a Mal/Dutch Shepherd mix named Eik. As a pup he was very bitey and active. But at 5 years I couldn't ask for a better companion. He is calmer than my 7 year old CWL GSD and my 1 year old WL GSD.

So enjoy your new pup be it GSD or Mel mix.

Here are some pics of Eik.

central pasco vet-santa 2017-95.jpg IMG_1025.JPG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thank you for the encouragement. So far, he is way more active than my gsd ever was when she was a pup. He gets into everything and is fast as lightning. I am hoping he will learn some of my other dogs’ laziness and mellowness as he continues to adjust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks almost like Blu’s siblings who were all sable. He’s 100% legit working line GSD from Germany

These were when he was around 7 weeks old. Since he’s filled out, he’s been a steady 92-95lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Whatever you boy ends up to be, I just wanted to say I am so enjoying all these adorable pictures. I have found I especially like dog Santa pics. Some times things happen and are meant to be, although responsible breeding is definitely encouraged it doesn’t always end up that way. I also picked up my Dobe/GSD outside a rural Georgia gas station, he was four weeks old although the lady tried to say he was six. They were weaned and she didn’t want to pay to feed the litter of 13. He also was tiny, under 4 lbs and had so many worms in him when I saw them come out it was hard to believe that many could fit in such a little body. He’s almost 4 now and I love my tall boy to pieces.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Here’s a quick update on Tucker. He’s been with us for two weeks now. He’s now just over 9lbs and loves to nap during the day. He is very food driven and would only come if I have food lol. Experiencing a bit of a setback with potty training but no poop accidents so far. He can almost sleep through the night. So it’s been much better than getting up every two hours.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
He is really cute like his eyes. The tail is not what would be the deciding factor dogs carry the tail high when half and excited my male carries his tail a bit more which is normal. Also Purebreds can have different tail settings that don’t fit the standard either. He could be pure gsd he looks gsd to me or There could Belgian malinois in there or even full. You will see more how he grows.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My first thought on seeing the pup was the ear shape looked wrong for a GSD, and the tail set was wrong too. I didn't realize Mals had more rectangular shaped ears, but now that I read that, I definitely am thinking mal or mal/GSD cross!

·
Registered
33 Posts
So we rescued a puppy in July. She was 19 pounds at about 12 weeks. She’s a GSD mix. We were always told she’s Belgian Malinois but we did DNA test and she’s 50% GSD and 25% Doberman. You just never know! Your pup is cute!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts