German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's a big worm load and could account for his small size. Will be interesting to see how he grows.
Good news is he doesn't have worms in his poop anymore. Bad news is he still has the runs and wants out every 2 hours. I hope it's from his new food and environment and no illness. If this keeps up, I am taking him to the vet again. So far its been a week of naps for me on the couch and its getting very uncomfortable. lol

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
Good news is he doesn't have worms in his poop anymore. Bad news is he still has the runs and wants out every 2 hours. I hope it's from his new food and environment and no illness. If this keeps up, I am taking him to the vet again. So far its been a week of naps for me on the couch and its getting very uncomfortable. lol
Are you crating him? Diarrhea could be more worms or something like giardia. You should probably have him tested again. At the very least, put him on some metro to clear up the diarrhea. Pups get dehydrated quickly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are you crating him? Diarrhea could be more worms or something like giardia. You should probably have him tested again. At the very least, put him on some metro to clear up the diarrhea. Pups get dehydrated quickly.
Yes, he's being crated at night and whenever we can't watch him. If he doesn't get better by the end of this week, I will take him in again.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The guy was selling puppy in a cardboard box outside of a parking lot. The pup had worms coming out of his butt. So yes, I gave the guy money so I can take the pup. No, the pup doesn’t have papers or a kennel name if that’s what you’re wondering.
Shadow was only a couple of weeks old when I found her. She had live worms coming out both ends. Puked up a pile of live ones. Really gross. It definitely, along with other issues, was stalling growth.
She fit in my hand.
Your boy should catch up. Get the DNA test if you are really interested, the added health screening might be a good idea.
Definitely look forward to pics. But what is his name!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Shadow was only a couple of weeks old when I found her. She had live worms coming out both ends. Puked up a pile of live ones. Really gross. It definitely, along with other issues, was stalling growth.
She fit in my hand.
Your boy should catch up. Get the DNA test if you are really interested, the added health screening might be a good idea.
Definitely look forward to pics. But what is his name!
His name changed a couple of times since we had him. It got to a point where we were going to draw a name from a hat. We've been calling him Tucker right now and he seems to be responding to it. So before we confuse him, it will probably remain Tucker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Embark breed and health test is $70 off. Only $129. Breed only is $99.
That's a good sale but I am going to wait until he's older. Maybe as he grows, his heritage will show more. Fingers crossed for GSD or Malinois or even a cross between the two. :)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
His name changed a couple of times since we had him. It got to a point where we were going to draw a name from a hat. We've been calling him Tucker right now and he seems to be responding to it. So before we confuse him, it will probably remain Tucker.
Lol. Shadow had multiple names. First was Lucy, everyone but me hated it. Joked that I wanted to call her Diamond since she was brought home just days after my 40th. I really liked Rogue and debated Omen. I most often call her Punk, sometimes Punkin(October pup) and often Pooka. Other names not forum approved.
Dogs seem to be able to understand different names. But I like Tucker. Had one, good dog.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yes, that first photo is precious- like he's trying to be on his best behavior. He's so photogenic. I don't know how you'd get anything else done around your home.....I'd be playing with this little thing all day long.
You sure are lucky to have this little guy. I have a feeling he's gonna be ONE SMART lil guy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you so much for sharing pictures of your Mal. My pup looks just like that but a little darker. He also has the same black markings on the inner parts of his legs and he carries his tail high like that. It could be very possible that one of his parents (or both) was a Mal but mistaken for GSD since they look can very similar. Do you have any pictures of your pup as they got older? I never thought I’ll have a Mal or Mal/GSD cross. I’ve always heard they had much higher energy so I avoided them. Lol

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
The puppy on the left in the GSD picture has quite the ring tail. Sorry but I don't have pictures of it.

This is a picture of my girl when she was young and quite dark. Nobody expected her to lighten up like she did including the breeder.

Here is a current picture. She just turned 5 months so I am not sure what her adult color will be.

Then this is a picture of her brother. He has a high set tail.

I have not found the Malitwins to have higher energy levels in comparison to my workingline GSDs but they do have a lower frustration level and can go from 0 to 60 in intensity level in the blink of an eye. I also see a lot of anger for them being young pups with less bite inhibition.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The more I look at your pictures, the more my pup looks like a Mal. I do see the less bite inhibition thing. He is very mouthy and his little shark teeth can hurt a bit. He is also very bold. He is not afraid of my GSD and will follow my Staffy around and try to push her buttons. Both of my older dogs are really patient with him right now but it looks like I will have my hands full.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I would not say that they are more bitey than the WL GSDs but that they are more intense about it. When GSD pups squabble because one bit the other too hard it is usually handled with a verbal. With the Mals, physical removal might be necessary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
How much more exercise do Mal need than GSD? My GSD is not a working line and I am very lucky that she's pretty chill. I can usually run her 3 miles every few days and she's satisfied.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I have not seen much of a difference between the exercise needs of Mals vs WL GSDs. Mine all get a lot of off leash time hiking with other compatible dogs.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts