German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, does this pup look purebred GSD? We rescued him and he looks very small for “8 weeks” and weighs exactly 7lbs. If anything, he looks more like 6-7 weeks to me.

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
He looks shepherdy. What color is he? What does he look like from the side?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The person we got him from says he’s a GSD but I am not 100% sure because he lied about his age when we got him. There is no way he’s 8 weeks. He’s sable and is pretty dark.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is him with my gsd. I’ve seen gsd puppy tail curls like that when they are younger.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Did you rescue him or buy him? He looks wormy. Has he seen a vet?
Likely not GSD but all things are possible. He's cute.

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
Looks GSD to me. The vet can tell approx age by the teeth. Did she look? My girl was 1 of 12 and was a small puppy so it's possible.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
So is he a rescue or did you buy him? Is this a misrepresented purchase? And what is his name?
Age could be correct. Some pups are small. My old girl was tiny and she grew into a moose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks GSD to me. The vet can tell approx age by the teeth. Did she look? My girl was 1 of 12 and was a small puppy so it's possible.
She said he had all of his baby teeth so he has to be over 6 weeks but couldn't support the claim of 8 weeks by the way he was moving when she examined him. I just estimated his age based on how much my other GSD weighed when I got her at 8 weeks.

From certain angles, he looks GSD to me but I am not an expert. He does not have a straight tail and he carries it high. It is usually curl forward (like in the picture of him playing with my other gsd) so can that be an indication that he is mixed? Don’t Malinois carry their tails higher and curled? Or perhaps he is GSD with a “happy tail?”

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is he a rescue or did you buy him? Is this a misrepresented purchase? And what is his name?
Age could be correct. Some pups are small. My old girl was tiny and she grew into a moose.
The guy was selling puppy in a cardboard box outside of a parking lot. The pup had worms coming out of his butt. So yes, I gave the guy money so I can take the pup. No, the pup doesn’t have papers or a kennel name if that’s what you’re wondering.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sense an Embark DNA test may be in his future. LOL.
He's so cute and your big girl is gorgeous.
Congrats on the new arrival.
Yes, DNA test will clear all this up. Lol Thank you. He is very cute and very smart. Learning how to “focus“ and already whining at the door to be let out. My big girl is a patterned sable. Hate to brag but shes not very photogenic. She looks much prettier in person. lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
The guy was selling puppy in a cardboard box outside of a parking lot. The pup had worms coming out of his butt. So yes, I gave the guy money so I can take the pup. No, the pup doesn’t have papers or a kennel name if that’s what you’re wondering.
I know it's pitiful to see puppies like this, but every time you give those types of people money, you support their business and efforts. It's like giving panhandlers on the street money. All you're doing is paying them for panhandling!

·
Registered
446 Posts
He looks like either Malinois or GSD to me - either way, he's super cute! I can't wait to see pictures of him as he grows up!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would have done the same just to get the neglected pup AWAY from neglectful owners. An old couple once left a shoebox w/ cover right next to their and my car in a McDonald's parking lot. For some reason I was eating in my car that day and they kept staring at me. When they pulled out and left I heard the little mews coming from the box so I
scrambled out to check it out. A teeny tiny kitten was crying in the box. I took it to foster it til I found a proper home for
it- FAILED- She's still here today, never grew over 5-6 lbs so stunted. A great, personable cat.
So sometimes these throwaway pets end up being a very lucky.
Have fun with your baby and train him up the right way and you'll have a great friend.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts