German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Why do you even question it? Did you not get from a reputable breeder?

·
Administrator
10,682 Posts
Shepherd enough.

If you told me he was purebred, I wouldn’t argue. If you told me there was a bit of sighthound, I wouldn’t argue that either…

Standing photos that show coat, structure and tail would help…

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I showed one picture of my dog Hudson sitting like that everyone would say purebred GSD.

Side shots, and a good shot of the head profile show some distinctions between purebred GSDs and Hudson. He has slightly shorter legs, a deeper chest, a more muscular neck, and has a triangular shaped head reflecting his australian cattle dog heritage. At least that's what those pictures would show if he sat still long enough to let me take them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for my typo on purebred.

No, this dog is still in a rescue (picture sent by a friend). It looks purebred but something looks off to me. My thought is that someone else might pick up on what I might be missing. Perhaps my brain is playing tricks and she is a purebred.

Most of my shepherds came through the breeder who supplies our department with canine dogs. The last one was an emergency rehome issue. So basically someone else has been picking out my dogs. The original breeder retired and the department ran into some issues with the new breeder, so that option is less desirable.

When I am referring to LE breeder, the department gets them at around 1 year old (give or take). In the past I have take the ones that did not make the grade, which came with a deep discount. All three have made great pets.

I can training shepherds, just not as versed in identifying the various lines.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Those beautiful amber eyes can throw you every time. I would say not to worry about it, she's shepherd enough. A DNA test would settled any arguments. Duke (photo over under my id) is 84% shepherd and he looks like a shepherd, but he does not have the intelligence or working ability. He's a happy clown dog that can't be off a leash because he follows his nose wherever it goes. He' a big sweet gentle slug who finds great joy in dancing around with your shoes. A dog is what a dog is, she looks happy and healthy and will make someone a great companion. Nice dog.

·
Administrator
10,682 Posts
…when/if you’re considering a rescue, you simply have to give up this idea of knowing the purity or lines of any dog. sometimes it’s an owner surrender and you get that info. sometimes it’s very clear from looking at the dog. sometimes the rescue has done a dna test. but none of this applies to the vast majority…..most rescues are a mash up of many lines or high content GSD mixes.

i’ve had many presumable purebred GSD rescues - both personal dogs and fosters. i’ve currently got a confirmed mix who looked like and was treated like a GSD for 5yrs before i decided to test him. and, he’s been my best dog yet.

if you like this dog and she’s a good fit…. don’t miss out because of 12% of this or 4% of that. does something look off? sure if you’re looking at the written breed standard, but are you headed to the show ring? she looks like a young happy dog that’s eager to learn.

photo tax because i love the heck out of my 50% GSD
Dog Plant Tree Carnivore Wood

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What is it you want to do with the dog?
My friends realize that I am dogless so they have been sending me information on available dogs and puppies in my area. If we decide on another Shepherd (the “if” is based on my age that is covered in another thread) it would be a pet companion, plus one last dog for me to train.

·
Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,086 Posts
My friends realize that I am dogless so they have been sending me information on available dogs and puppies in my area. If we decide on another Shepherd (the “if” is based on my age that is covered in another thread) it would be a pet companion, plus one last dog for me to train.
I see in your previous post mentioned you are 67. My husband and I are/were in the same boat. Before we lost our last dogs, JRTs, we said "No more dogs at our age." We are 69 coming very, very close to 70. But we lost them last fall and had already changed our minds to have one more go at it. We were not experienced in GSDs, but after extensive research, joining this forum for help and information, finding a good breeder and trainer locally who was also able to help us, we took the challenge.

They say "You are only as old as you feel." Well, some days are really young, some days are really old. So taking an average makes it ok, I guess. We ended up not just with a WL GSD, now 9 months old, but also decided to get another pup to provide comic relief: A Pembroke Welsh Corgi, now 4 months old. He makes us laugh. Both pups have added a whole new dimension to our life, given us ongoing purpose and contribute to our well-being, physical fitness, and anger-management (just kidding).

Go for it. Don't give up on life until you are forced to. Your age is just a number. People keep telling me I don't act my age....I take that in a positive light.

Keep us posted. Looking forward to seeing who becomes your new family member.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see in your previous post mentioned you are 67. My husband and I are/were in the same boat. Before we lost our last dogs, JRTs, we said "No more dogs at our age." We are 69 coming very, very close to 70. But we lost them last fall and had already changed our minds to have one more go at it. We were not experienced in GSDs, but after extensive research, joining this forum for help and information, finding a good breeder and trainer locally who was also able to help us, we took the challenge.

They say "You are only as old as you feel." Well, some days are really young, some days are really old. So taking an average makes it ok, I guess. We ended up not just with a WL GSD, now 9 months old, but also decided to get another pup to provide comic relief: A Pembroke Welsh Corgi, now 4 months old. He makes us laugh. Both pups have added a whole new dimension to our life, given us ongoing purpose and contribute to our well-being, physical fitness, and anger-management (just kidding).

Go for it. Don't give up on life until you are forced to. Your age is just a number. People keep telling me I don't act my age....I take that in a positive light.

Now you are one with your hands full. 9 & 4 month olds running around the house has to be challenging.
For me, my heart say go for it and the mind (along with the body at times) says hold on partner. It is hard being in such a quiet house. I miss the alert barking. I will not miss the walking in the winter time or taking the dog out in the rain.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Great response....love it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts