German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Still haven't gotten over the recent death of my beloved Kal but came across someone advertising this young GSD for sale. Thought the forum might have some answers. I think it is a good idea to deal with reputable breeders for temperment alone so I won't likely support a seller whom I know nothing about the parents or siblings or breeding history. My guess is that it is a backyard-bred GSD based on several variables. But my question is does this dog look mixed?

- why does he have a white spot on his chest?

- would a purebred GSD have true GSD head/ears with alternate physical characteristics of another breed or mutt?

- I also think it is an backyard raised dog which I would be leery of as my dogs stay in the warmth of my house, but can GSDs make the switch or do they get restless after being raised while young outdoors?

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Are you deep into questionable breeder territory? Otherwise, why would you ask these questions?

Name the breeder/kennel and the sire and dam and let the people here help you with that. A picture does not quite cut it if you are wanting to do the right thing like you say.....:)

PS... If you do get this pup...leave that ball behind! I had two for my pup. They're electronic and emit the most annoying noise and they are hard plastic and not good for any dog's teeth. Cheap China stuff.:eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you deep into questionable breeder territory? Otherwise, why would you ask these questions?

Name the breeder/kennel and the sire and dam and let the people here help you with that. A picture does not quite cut it if you are wanting to do the right thing like you say.....:)

PS... If you do get this pup...leave that ball behind! I had two for my pup. They're electronic and emit the most annoying noise and they are hard plastic and not good for any dog's teeth. Cheap China stuff.:eek:
I'm just looking at dogs because I'm lonely. I don't think he has any AKC papers and the price is a bit high for an undocumented GSD. I plan on getting a GSD from a reputable breeder and already have contacted a couple for upcoming Spring litters but wondering about this dog.

To be honest, I kinda wanna save him but know that it would probably be unwise.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
He looks like a pure GSD, probably a bi color. Yes a bit of white on the chest is not uncommon. He looks lovely!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
He's a beautiful pup, but you're wise to find out more about breeding.

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
^ this!
indeed a bi color...
will do fine transitioning from outdoors to inside.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I'm just looking at dogs because I'm lonely. I don't think he has any AKC papers and the price is a bit high for an undocumented GSD. I plan on getting a GSD from a reputable breeder and already have contacted a couple for upcoming Spring litters but wondering about this dog.

To be honest, I kinda wanna save it but know that it would probably be unwise.
Oh, I understand that....and I know how that "empty place" feels. Just keep rationality in harmony with your emotions.....

2 years ago, I wanted a GSD rescue after losing my GSD at 14.5 years. None were to be had in a 4 county area....

I ended up going to a BYB and paying $500.00. I have papers but that does not mean anything..... Paying 5,000 does not mean anything.... What you want IMO is if you can find it - a repeat breeding that demonstrates health. Simple health... but you won't get that unless you do some deep homework and learn what to ask for and what references available that you can actually contact.

I found out way after the adoption that the breeder was lying about hip rating and one of his sibs is in the area and cannot pass hip rating either, but that breeder offers litters from him every 8 mos. Yes, AKC papers, but so what?

Just do your homework, learn how to look back in the sire and dam's lines for health testing and be a little more patient. Or, you could end up like me - hoping for the best with at least a decade ahead with my girl - but not knowing if there will be a host of painful problems and cost for her in later years.... It's just not worth it and you can minimize your risk if you learn to ask the right questions and read the line's history.....:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm relatively new to the breed but have done a lot of research on the appearance of the breed due to my own situation with my girl, Athena. If I get any of this wrong someone please correct me....

From what I've learned on this forum, a small white spot on the chest is "permitted" according to the breed standard but cannot extend up through the neck.

The ears and tails are often large on them as puppies and their head/body "grows into them" as they mature. The larger ears often make the head appear small. Females have a "feminine" head which is more delicate than the larger, more blocky appearance of a males head.

Every puppy has their own growth patterns and wonky stages just as humans due. So they may look quite awkward at some points until they mature.

I had similar questions about my girl after adopting her. As I got her without paperwork from a couple that could no longer care for her. I feel as though if you are this uncomfortable with where the pup is coming from, you might want to look elsewhere.

Hope this helps and good luck with everything.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I understand that....and I know how that "empty place" feels. Just keep rationality in harmony with your emotions.....
Thanks. My Kal died a week ago tonight and it is really hitting me like a slow-moving train. I keep getting all these mixed-up thoughts in my head but I know they are just a way to distance myself from the loss. I might go look at the dog above and if he needs saved...then maybe save him.

But more than anything I just want to be in the company of lively dogs. I went to a petstore the other day to be around puppies but then was sickened & disgusted by the animal cruelty and left. The underlying abuse never occurred to me because my dogs are from reputable-breeders but I asked one of the petstore associates "when do these dogs sleep or get rest?" + they are kept under bright lighting all day. As you know sleep/rest is CRITICAL for babies, puppies, kittens, etc.

Her answer "oh...whenever we're not busy!". Some answer, huh?

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Thanks. My Kal died a week ago tonight and it is really hitting me like a slow-moving train. I keep getting all these mixed-up thoughts in my head but I know they are just a way to distance myself from the loss. I might go look at the dog above and if he needs saved...then maybe save him.

But more than anything I just want to be in the company of lively dogs. I went to a petstore the other day to be around puppies but then was sickened & disgusted by the animal cruelty and left. The underlying abuse never occurred to me because my dogs are from reputable-breeders but I asked one of the petstore associates "when do these dogs sleep or get rest?" + they are kept under bright lighting all day. As you know sleep/rest is CRITICAL for babies, puppies, kittens, etc.

Her answer "oh...whenever we're not busy!". Some answer, huh?
I wouldn't want to go into commercial pet stores this soon after losing my bud. I'd want to rescue all the animals and burn the place down.... because of the pain and clarity:eek:

Well, if it's meant to be with this pup - it will be:) Looks great as you know from all the comments. Sometimes, I wish I didn't know what I do know now about the breed. I managed to raise 3 GSD's to 13 & 14 plus years old healthy and happy - fed on grocery store food....

The only thing I can tell you is I was driven by my emotions because of the pain and emptiness that you are feeling right now. Some of that can be helped with a new pup, some - you're going to have to deal with and place that love for your lost dog in your heart and head - a permanent place that you carry where ever you go and will always be with you..... just not in the physical, but very much alive and joined in your spiritual house....:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I agree with other posters.

But if his parentage is unknown, he's going to be listed as a GSD mix.

My dog is a GSD mix, you can tell he's not purebred but the GSD lineage is unmistakable.

Whether purebred or mixed, if you get a GSD, they're not couch potatoes so expect to spend a lot of time with them outdoors. :)

That dog looks beautiful! If I hadn't adopted one already, I'd want to scoop him up myself!

If you really need the AKC papers, find a breeder but in the end if you and the dog do get along famously, who cares about them?

·
Registered
812 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Kal.
I lost mine in September. If you start searching too soon, you may jump at the first thing you see. That said that dog is gorgeous, and looks very purebred and beautiful, wow.
I went dogless for several months for the sake of my cats (they were still having "settling in" issues). In the iterim, an amazing thing happened. I missed Dynamo more than ever, but old wonderful memories kept rising to the surface, letting me revisit and renew and retain wonderful times. She is with me now in memory more than ever. If I had taken in a new dog too soon, I'm afraid much would have remained forgotten forever. So it can pay off to wait, in a bittersweet way.
Dogparks may be a good way to get your dog fix in the meantime. Or take in that beauty.
You will remember Kal forever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like a purebred bi color to me. The white marker on the chest is pretty common amongst the American lines, in fact the #1 bitch in the country has a white spot on her chest as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So sorry for your loss of Kal.

You will remember Kal forever.
Thank you. Your advice has helped me a lot. I keep having to remind myself that Kal has passed away. He was the best-looking GSD (pic below) that I have ever seen and I've never seen another solid-gold GSD in my life except on the internet. Others mentioned other dogs as look-alikes but that always turned out to be false. I've always been puzzled by people who say their dog looks just like another dog but are completely delusional about appearance. I dunno, maybe that's just polite petowner smalltalk?

Anyways, regarding the bi-color GSD for sale. I asked to take a look at the dog but the seller said he suddenly couldn't find the AKC paperwork (well, why then advertise it as such???) then he said he decided to keep the dog. Very sketchy. I have a feeling the dog was either stolen or sold to someone else who wasn't as inquisitive...probably both.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts