German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I was wondering if the bitchs temp always drops before labor?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok my bitchs temp was 99.7 this morning then 100.1 this afternoon now its 98.7..all week its been fluctuating from 99.9-101.0..this is the first drastic dip.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
It does in many cases, but you should also be looking for other signs, nesting, refusal of food, restlessness, panting.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Usually it will fluctuate up and down and up and down, gradually getting lower. Then it will usually stay low for a number of hours, maybe 12 or more, before climbing up to around 100 or so before whelping actually begins.

It sounds like you are getting closer.

Agree with watching all the signs.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
For my dogs, that drastic drop would mean they will start to whelp in the next 24 hours.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
her temp is 99.3 and no puppies yet? shes breathing a littler faster and has been basically laying down all day

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi..sorry it's been a busy 5 wks..I had to bottle feed 10 pups..mom delivered on a Thurs night into Friday morning by Monday was having emergency surgery for an infected uterus and was turning septic..she had surgery which included a spay and couldn't nurse due to heavy antibiotics. .and she dried up...but everyone is good an healthy and we still have all 10 pups !

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Hi..sorry it's been a busy 5 wks..I had to bottle feed 10 pups..mom delivered on a Thurs night into Friday morning by Monday was having emergency surgery for an infected uterus and was turning septic..she had surgery which included a spay and couldn't nurse due to heavy antibiotics. .and she dried up...but everyone is good an healthy and we still have all 10 pups !
Wow! That would be an awful amount of work. Baby puppies do not always drink from bottles very easily, and it is like round the clock with them. By the time you are finished with the last one, you probably are having to get ready to do the feeding thing again. I think I would have gone with tube feeding. But you kept them all alive, so kudos to you!

Sorry your bitch had such a rough time. Was this your 7 year old, or your 2 year old?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was hard I stopped work and school to stay home and feed around the clock..it was my 2 yr old...I have to say this was and experience I never wanna go through again ..between emotionally and financially I am drained lol they all did well with the bottles ..my biggest pup is already 7 lbs..they will be 5 wks old tmrw :) I'm very attached to these little buggers ...

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Did she retain a puppy? Is that what infected her womb?

I am really sorry. This is not all that common. But I have heard of people losing their girl, and I am glad you were able to save yours.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks...nope no puppy the vet said he wasn't sure what caused it ..He never investigated the uterus when he removed it..but when they did X rays they showed no other pups..I think maybe a retained placenta?? I wish he would have looked into it ..it would have been nice to know.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
I know they can resorb a puppy up to a certain date. But after watching Dr. Hutch's DVD on the maximizing conception in the bitch, or the other one, it says their body will take care of a retained placenta.

He could be wrong though. It is just fortunate that you were able to save her and the puppy. In the middle of keeping everyone alive, everything else takes a back burner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts