German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to the forum!... so my gsd Shane Von Fromer is 9 months old now and lives in and out side...I brush him daily wity a rubber curry comb..and find myself pulling loose fur constantly. ..what can I do? And does it ever stop!! He was eating royal canine for 5 months. Then blue buffalo for 3...and now hes eating kirkland puppy from coscom...help please

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Nope they call them German Shedders for a reason. :) I like a slicker brush it picks out the undercoat better than the other brushes I've tried.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
what can I do? And does it ever stop!!
Nope. It never stops. It's heavy year around, and then the blowing their coats start... and omg, I do nothing but brush, vacuum, brush, vacuum.... over and over and over again... all day, every day for weeks.

Honestly, all you can do is feed good quality food, thoroughly groom him weekly, and give supplements for a healthy coat (fish oil, vitamins, etc). That will at least give them a healthy shed and not just dull, brittle hair. A happy healthy dog will shed a bit less, but it definitely will always be heavy... that's part of the breed.

Good luck! He's very handsome! ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ps. If he is a puppy, no back packs. You don't want the weight to add stress to their joints. I prefer to wait until at least 18 months if not 2 years for large dogs. Beautiful dog. And no, it never ends. :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ps. If he is a puppy, no back packs. You don't want the weight to add stress to their joints. I prefer to wait until at least 18 months if not 2 years for large dogs. Beautiful dog. And no, it never ends. :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Even if its empty? I wanted him to get used to wearing it? Cuz hes off leashed trained and I noticed he focuses more

·
Registered
88 Posts
alls i can say is we do brush from time to time and we still have fur all over the place .........so the answer is NO....:)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Boy I wish I could say yes but that's just not true at all. However it does slow down a bit from time to time for at least Bella. Last week she was shedding up a storm we had hair every where it was awful, this week it's not so bad. I've had sooo much hair I could have made another dog lol.. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boy I wish I could say yes but that's just not true at all. However it does slow down a bit from time to time for at least Bella. Last week she was shedding up a storm we had hair every where it was awful, this week it's not so bad. I've had sooo much hair I could have made another dog lol.. :)
Lol made another dog..I know what you mean though... my dogs fur is everywhere. ..

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Lol made another dog..I know what you mean though... my dogs fur is everywhere. ..
I'm just happy it stopped I was vacuuming twice a day and sweeping once man that was a lot of work, I'm just glad to have a bit of break :happyboogie: Cute baby by the way :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
where i live he sheds heavy April through September. October
through February he sheds lightly. i use an under coat on his sides,
back and tail. i use a pin brush underneath him, on his head and legs.
i brush him 2 to 3 times a week.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
The shedding is a downside, no way to get around it. I have discovered over the years that a grooming rake does a much better job of getting the under coat out, and it is the under coat that they shed by the arm load.

So, my advice would be to use the rubber curry comb to the end of each grooming session and use a rake (which are inexpensive and available in most pet stores). Run the curry comb over the coat a couple of times as the last step in your routine. Try it, I think you'll see better results with a rake.
Sheilah

·
Registered
334 Posts
Handsome pup! I suppose I am very lucky or else just oblivious! My GSD has a tight black coat and except for coat blowing seasons, I really don't notice excessive hair. I am in for a surprise when GSD #2 comes along one day!

·
Registered
64 Posts
We used to joke that our dog's shedding season lasted from around Jan 1 to Dec 31 :D There are times when it is more intense (usually the spring and fall) but it never really stops. You do have to clean up more often. We usually vacuumed every 2nd day ... that is just part the deal imho.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts