German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Also I apologize if I’m posting a lot or responding to messages incorrectly (quoting vs note quoting?) I use this on my phone and also don’t know how to navigate the site very well yet.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
No I’m sorry I have to disagree with that. And I know photos are deceiving and I’m taking no offense but she was sickly. She could barely stand and she shook when she did, you could go down her whole back and feel nothing but sharp spine. She was just under 60 pounds at 24 1/2 inches. She was very thin when I got her. And while I understand our dogs may be similar height her build is very different. Even when she was 60 pounds she still had a very built and large/muscular upper body while her back half was truly skin and bone.

Since I posted this we’ve been going on daily 2hour + hikes and got told today she looked muscular and strong! I agree that she looked a little overweight and definitely agreed she needed more muscle. I was wrong to say she was at a “perfect” weight. I relate overweight and fat to mean unhealthy and I worked several months and spend several thousands to get her from near death to healthy.

I appreciate the response and advice! I’ll look into those FB pages.
Look, clearly you love your dog. I have pulled rescues that were in fact "skin and bone" . Your girl was thin, underweight. The spine is one of the things that becomes easily visible when muscle mass is lost. Or with chronic dehydration. Common in old or sick dogs. Shaking when standing would indicate to me a lot of time confined.
I feel like I am talking to an old world mother. Lol. Too skinny! Eat, eat!
Recent photos would be lovely. Sounds like you are doing good with her.
Oh! And her nails. I would bet will wear down with exercise. They aren't that long. She needs her nails.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Definitely fat and lacks tone.

A photo of my 9 year old for comparison... She has spine and other health issues but I still keep her toned.
In my original photos yes she lacked tone and needed to shave a few pounds which she has since I posted. Going to take some shots today in the light to post.

I went to two different vets when I first brought her home and both were horrified at her condition and her spine protruding. It may be good for your dog but just not for mine. She is a very big girl in person just structure wise.

Definitely gonna keep working on toning her up and adding some more muscle where it needs to be.

thank you for the response!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure why you posted asking for opinions then?

I still stand by my response.

My vet likes my dogs on the heavier size, which is actually more painful for my dog who has a spine and knee injury. I trust my vet but we do not see eye-to-eye on a few things. Weight being one of them.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
View attachment 556295 One more around the same time and weight
I tend to get accused of keeping my dogs too thin - by strangers, by vets ('he needs insurance weight!'...we don't use that vet anymore), by friends...so take it for what it's worth, but I like the level of tuck in this picture (conceding that some muscle could be gained). I'm glad you've upped her exercise and it sounds like she's already dropped a decent amount of weight which is great!

For me, having had a GSD with hip dysplasia (kept her thin) and Luc who lived to 15.5 (made him thin) - there's a lot at risk in dogs, particularly a breed disposed to joint problems, who are overweight.

My non-GSDs...well. Xerxes is a beagle but has like 4% body fat, extreme tuck, but he's also very broad in the chest - he's beautiful to behold (compared to the quoted picture, he's proportionally broader with a far more extreme tuck). Neb varies in weight, I also think he's a chubster but our vet and my husband strongly disagree. He's not overweight and is slim by most standards, I just think he could be even thinner. He's 38.6lbs and I remember when he was 36lbs (admittedly as a young adult) and he looked great then. I suspect 37.5-38lbs is his sweet spot from a 'where I want him to be' and 'from where my husband and vet will stage an intervention'. He's a senior now so I feel like keeping him slender is important. With Agis (GSD mix pup), I am letting him be a bit round because he's 4.5 mos old and he's also part Rottie and I feel like will not have a naturally slender build...he's got a certain tank thing going on. Even he has a tuck though, I just don't fuss about it like I do with the adults.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
OP, do with your dog as you will, but you asked for opinions. Mine, like so many others is that she's over weight now.

Take that, and let it guide you, or don't.

·
Registered
30,708 Posts
She looks very barrel chested which would give the illusion of being muscular in the front while weak in the rear. I think she looks good in those pictures there as far as weight. Have you looked at the Fitpaws or Totofit equipment? These really help build core and overall fitness. And they are easy to do inside whenever.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I asked for opinions on the photos I posted initially. And I took all of the advice and opinions and have been using them since I posted.
Not sure why you posted asking for opinions then?

I still stand by my response.

My vet likes my dogs on the heavier size, which is actually more painful for my dog who has a spine and knee injury. I trust my vet but we do not see eye-to-eye on a few things. Weight being one of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
OP, do with your dog as you will, but you asked for opinions. Mine, like so many others is that she's over weight now.

Take that, and let it guide you, or don't.
I have responded saying that I used every single opinion and advice given to me... don’t see how I’ve exhibited that I didn’t want opinions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I asked for opinions on if she was overweight and posted photos. You all gave me advice and responses and I stated later that I was wrong in saying she was a perfect weight and that I was using the advice given and also said that I’ve been working on her losing a few and toning her up. I defended the photos I posted later because she was truly sick and near death and was still losing weight the first week she was home. You are all very hostile with your responses and choose to see things only your way. I came asking for advice because I’m new to owning German Shepherds and clearly didn’t know much.

I appreciate those who gave me great advice and we’re kind while doing so and know that I’ve used and seen great results!

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I see some "bluntness" that text alone can can bring, but nothing hostile. Whether it's kids or dogs I think we can become a tad defensive when our perspective bubble gets popped by others sharing theirs, especially in text. One of the first things said to me when joining this forum was that my gsds were over weight and I'm thankful that it was. My girls are fast approaching 10 and both are healthier today in part because I was made aware of what ideal weight should look like.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey all,

This is my 4 year old girl Maisie who sits at about 25 inches in height. When we adopted her she was 60 pounds and all skin and bone. After 6 months she definitely is at a much healthier weight.

These aren’t the best photos, but my family keeps telling me how fat she looks and how she’s “5 pounds from being overweight” which I don’t see at all. I think she’s finally at a really good healthy weight for her size. She could DEFINITELY gain some more muscle in her backside, but I don’t think she’s anywhere near being overweight.

Taking her to the vet this weekend to get weighed, but wanted your opinions.

took these 10 minutes ago right after she ate dinner
Every normal animal is ten percent of their body weight from being overweight. Can you feel her ribs?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts