German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This is my 4 year old girl Maisie who sits at about 25 inches in height. When we adopted her she was 60 pounds and all skin and bone. After 6 months she definitely is at a much healthier weight.

These aren’t the best photos, but my family keeps telling me how fat she looks and how she’s “5 pounds from being overweight” which I don’t see at all. I think she’s finally at a really good healthy weight for her size. She could DEFINITELY gain some more muscle in her backside, but I don’t think she’s anywhere near being overweight.

Taking her to the vet this weekend to get weighed, but wanted your opinions.

took these 10 minutes ago right after she ate dinner

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
So I have seen charts that show that your dog should have a 'tuck-up' when seen from the side, and a 'waist' when seen from the top. ( There's one tacked up in my vet's office, so I stare at it while waiting for her to come in.) :)

I keep my eye on my dog's waist (that's my easiest view of him, the top view, because he's so furry) to monitor his weight. The top view of your dog looks like she should have a bit more of a waist? But that may also just be the way she's built or the photo angle. Hmm, she basically looks like a healthy dog at a good weight to me, maybe could use more conditioning/exercise/running. But, so could mine!

(And I have seen dogs that look like furry barrels with legs sticking out the bottom...
those are the owners that I would be talking to!)

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
For a 4 yr old, to me she's right on the cusp. I certainly wouldn't want her to put on any more weight, and if it were my dog I'd probably bring her weight down a bit...but just a bit ☺

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow...ok, I think my dog must be a bit overweight too!

OP's dog looked like a healthy weight to me...maybe needing some exercise/conditioning but I didn't think she needed to actually be thinner than that. She looks just a tad heavier than my dog.

Actually with mine, when he's wet or blowing coat, he looks a lot smaller/thinner. With all that fur it gets hard to tell!?

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
her body condition is not ideal (which you’re aware of).
the angle of the photos are not ideal either, but i can see that you were trying... (should be level / parallel)
a 4yr old dog can stand to be a bit trimmer, but i personally would not cut her food back any if you can accomplish this through exercise - which i believe you can.
my first thought was that she looks as if she’s been recently bathed as her coat looks quite plush.
no one here can feel the coverage over her ribs, etc, from a photo, so keep that in mind when considering their opinions.
using the science diet body condition score (bcs) chart with 4-5 being ideal... i’d put her at a 5.5
would love to see better photos.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
her body condition is not ideal (which you’re aware of).
the angle of the photos are not ideal either, but i can see that you were trying... (should be level / parallel)
a 4yr old dog can stand to be a bit trimmer, but i personally would not cut her food back any if you can accomplish this through exercise - which i believe you can.
my first thought was that she looks as if she’s been recently bathed as her coat looks quite plush.
no one here can feel the coverage over her ribs, etc, from a photo, so keep that in mind when considering their opinions.
using the science diet body condition score (bcs) chart with 4-5 being ideal... i’d put her at a 5.5
would love to see better photos.
thank you! I appreciate the actual response instead of just telling me my dog is fat. Definitely need to get more muscle on her 100%. Ill take some better pics of her that I’ll probably post to get some better responses.

thanks again!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow...ok, I think my dog must be a bit overweight too!

OP's dog looked like a healthy weight to me...maybe needing some exercise/conditioning but I didn't think she needed to actually be thinner than that. She looks just a tad heavier than my dog.

Actually with mine, when he's wet or blowing coat, he looks a lot smaller/thinner. With all that fur it gets hard to tell!?
she is definitely a healthy weight according to my vet (took her in yesterday) but she lacks muscle and definition. Vet said she shouldn’t lose any weight but add a lot more exercise to turn the fat into more muscle.

thanks for the response!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's fat. And I think she lacks muscle tone. You might want to look into core exercises for her.
Near overweight sure but fat... that’s a stretch. I took her to the vet yesterday and she told me that she’s at a perfect weight for her size and considering how malnourished she was before but that some of the fat needs to turn into muscle.
going to start taking her on daily hikes versus daily walks to get some more muscle and I’m looking into agility training.

she definitely isn’t fat though I think my pictures were a little deceiving.

·
Registered
30,708 Posts
Near overweight sure but fat... that’s a stretch. I took her to the vet yesterday and she told me that she’s at a perfect weight for her size and considering how malnourished she was before but that some of the fat needs to turn into muscle.
going to start taking her on daily hikes versus daily walks to get some more muscle and I’m looking into agility training.

she definitely isn’t fat though I think my pictures were a little deceiving.
Wait...you posted your family said she's fat. "telling me how fat she looks " So I agree with your family and you get mad at me? If your vet said she's perfect it must be so. I can't even take people anymore.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Hey all,

This is my 4 year old girl Maisie who sits at about 25 inches in height. When we adopted her she was 60 pounds and all skin and bone. After 6 months she definitely is at a much healthier weight.

These aren’t the best photos, but my family keeps telling me how fat she looks and how she’s “5 pounds from being overweight” which I don’t see at all. I think she’s finally at a really good healthy weight for her size. She could DEFINITELY gain some more muscle in her backside, but I don’t think she’s anywhere near being overweight.

Taking her to the vet this weekend to get weighed, but wanted your opinions.

took these 10 minutes ago right after she ate dinner
You asked if she looks overweight. Yes she does. I am really not clear why you felt a need to be offended.
Vets for some strange reason like overweight dogs.
Ideal body condition is a noticeable tuck at the abdomen viewed from the side and a defined waist viewed from the top. I like to be able to see the last rib but you should easily feel the ribs at least.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait...you posted your family said she's fat. "telling me how fat she looks " So I agree with your family and you get mad at me? If your vet said she's perfect it must be so. I can't even take people anymore.
I said my family thought she was overweight. And I never said I was offended but said the word fat seemed to be a stretch and that my photos were likely deceiving.
my vet simply said good weight but fat should be more muscle never said anything about perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You asked if she looks overweight. Yes she does. I am really not clear why you felt a need to be offended.
Vets for some strange reason like overweight dogs.
Ideal body condition is a noticeable tuck at the abdomen viewed from the side and a defined waist viewed from the top. I like to be able to see the last rib but you should easily feel the ribs at least.
I never said I was offended and I am not. Like I said in some comments I think my photos were deceiving and I’m sure she is overweight but rather nearing it. My vet agreed that she is at a perfect weight but that her fat needs to turn to muscle.

I simply found it annoying that people
Commented “she’s fat” or “she’s overweight” rather than the comments that elaborates and explained their answer which is the advice I was looking for.

·
Super Moderator
5,402 Posts
I just went through a fat shaming at a dog show with Scarlet in September, lol. Hadn’t shown in months, and hadn’t planned to show then, but got talked into it. Apparently I let Scarlet’s weight creep up over the summer, and I hadn’t been in the show building 5 minutes when everyone told me she was fat. Not overweight, but fat. Geez. It was kind of embarrassing. She won on the last day she was shown, and when I saw the photos from the photographer, yikes! They were right.

Just exercise your dog. She’ll be fine.

·
Registered
30,708 Posts
I said my family thought she was overweight. And I never said I was offended but said the word fat seemed to be a stretch and that my photos were likely deceiving.
my vet simply said good weight but fat should be more muscle never said anything about perfect.
here is where all the confusion is coming from. In your original post, you asked if for opinions on her weight because your family told you she looked fat (your words). And that's what you got.

your reply quoted here says "never said anything about perfect."
But what I responded to was this "she told me that she’s at a perfect weight for her size " in your post above.

I don't think anyone is really trying to argue with you but you are stating things and then saying something else so nobody really knows what you want.

I stand by what I said - she's chunky and needs muscle mass. 5# overweight on a dog IS fat when you consider how much stress that extra 5# puts on their frame. It's not an insult. It just is what it is. My dogs have gotten chunky and they've gotten to skinny. It's just a management thing. So while her weight might be fine for her size, her body condition isn't. Sounds like you have a plan to help her gain muscle. Expect her weight to go up when you do. When I was doing agility with Jax, she weighed 72# at 24.5" tall. When I stopped, she stayed the same size but she weighed 62# because she lost her muscle.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
The dog in this picture is overweight, not fat, and lacking in muscle tone. I attached it so you could see the difference. This is an 8 year old female, so technically a senior. Your dog is just 4, still young. She needs to build muscle yes, but you do not turn fat into muscle, you keep your dog at a healthy weight and build from there.
20190717_133331.jpg

1 - 20 of 55 Posts