German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Grass

Hi we have been sold a border collie puppy and she is now six months and doesn’t look like a border collie. We believe she looks like a panda shepherd and she weighs 66lb. She also has the typical character of a German shepherd she is loyal, loving and affectionate but has a huge amount of energy and is super strong and has ran into me and I have almost been knocked out. The only thing that confuses us is that there are Merle puppies in her litter. IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHETHER SHE IS A PANDA GERMAN SHEPHERD PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
I don't see any GSD at all

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
That should have been your warning. The merle gene does NOT occur in German shepherds or in border collies. It does in rough collies, though, as well as many other breeds.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
She looks very much like a younger version of my Border Collie, Blacktop. He was about the size of a small GSD.
Since we are talking BC's though, are these from registered or working stock? I know multiple working Border Collies that are in close proximity to Aussie's, Heelers and Kelpies. Two of those breeds could account for merle looking pups, although Heelers aren't merle the ticking could cause a merle like appearance in a pup. And working dog breeders are less concerned with pedigree and more concerned about work ability.

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
That should have been your warning. The merle gene does NOT occur in German shepherds or in border collies. It does in rough collies, though, as well as many other breeds.
She looks very much like a younger version of my Border Collie, Blacktop. He was about the size of a small GSD.
Since we are talking BC's though, are these from registered or working stock? I know multiple working Border Collies that are in close proximity to Aussie's, Heelers and Kelpies. Two of those breeds could account for merle looking pups, although Heelers aren't merle the ticking could cause a merle like appearance in a pup. And working dog breeders are less concerned with pedigree and more concerned about work ability.
this!
no registered BC is going to have the coloring of this dog anyway... nor produce a 6mo that’s 66lbs. stock dogs almost always have the other breeds sabi’s mom mentioned somewhere in their background. very common out west, i’m in CA and have met plenty merle or ticked BC’s.
google says they can exists but are rare.
but i digress...
no, this is not a panda shepherd! not even sure i’d call it a BC x GSD but i suppose it’s possible. another possibility is that the litter had multiple sires.

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Have you seen any of the parents? Could be some Kelpie in there. Looks like a pretty intense pup. Love her, train her!

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
66lbs at 6 months, assuming she is part BC... i’d say the other half is a livestock guardian-ish breed. location plays a part in that likelihood however.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
cute pup! Markings suggest Aussie, the spots on his legs suggest a hound and his nose suggests shepherd, the rest - ????? I'd recommend a DNA test so you'd know what to expect size, temperament and health wise. Do those ears stand up? Are his eyes green or is that a photo thing? If those ears pop up, you might have some German Shepherd there, but I don't know if I'd go as far as saying he's purebred. Either way you have a very nice looking dog there, very unique and will make a great companion for you and your family.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
No, she looks like a short coated Border Collie to me. Oversize, if she weighs that much, but still a Border Collie. She looks like she would be a lot of fun to work with.
Sheilah

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Ashwood Border Collies in Ontario has a merle. They breed dogs registered with the CBCA which would be the working dog registry.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Appearance
While a group of one hundred Border Collies will probably look as if they belong to the same breed, they will not have a uniform appearance. Since a "good" dog can be judged only by its herding performance, there is no "breed standard" of appearance to which Border Collies should conform. In general, they are of medium size (25-55 pounds), with coats that may be smooth, medium, or rough. Colors are black, black with tan, and, less common, reddish-brown, all usually with white markings. Predominantly white Border Collies and merles, though unusual, also occasionally appear.
Border Collie Characteristics | All About Border Collies

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
66lbs at 6 months, assuming she is part BC... i’d say the other half is a livestock guardian-ish breed. location plays a part in that likelihood however.
My Blacktop was presumably all BC and he was a pretty good sized boy. I would have guessed him about 70lbs, not that I ever weighed him. Lol. He jumped into my truck at a truck stop, no one claimed him and he could work cattle AND horses! Also very adept at bringing back my deaf Great Dane. All in all a keeper regardless of weight.

·
Registered
32,298 Posts
She is not a panda. High energy and all that stuff you said, sounds like a border collie or border collie mix to me. Remember that German Shepherd Dogs and Border Collies are BOTH in the herding group. This means that they both were designed to herd sheep all day long. They will share a lot traits. High energy, intelligence, loyalty, and she looks like a border collie or at least a border collie mix.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, I'll play too. I don't see anything about her/him resembling a GSD. When I saw the photo, the first thing that occurred to me was some kind of sighthound (e.g., greyhound, IG) mix. As to color variation within the litter, keep in mind that more than one sire, of whatever breed/mix, could have contributed to the litter.

ETA. Given her expression, I wouldn't let her off lead unless and until you have a rock solid recall.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Nope, not a Panda, and I don't see GSD at all. Agree with Border Collie and Greyhound...

·
Registered
212 Posts
View attachment 576398 View attachment 576399
Hi we have been sold a border collie puppy and she is now six months and doesn’t look like a border collie. We believe she looks like a panda shepherd and she weighs 66lb. She also has the typical character of a German shepherd she is loyal, loving and affectionate but has a huge amount of energy and is super strong and has ran into me and I have almost been knocked out. The only thing that confuses us is that there are Merle puppies in her litter. IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHETHER SHE IS A PANDA GERMAN SHEPHERD PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts