German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got our little girl at 6 weeks and she’s never been very affectionate - not excited to see the family (there are 4 of us), not when we come home from school or work, or in the morning - she just sort of opens an eye to see who’s there.. Yes, before the questions, we act excited to see her. There is always someone home with her interacting, playing. Plus I take over after work and play with her from 6pm until bedtime. We hug her, kiss her, etc., and she just didn’t seem interested. We accepted that maybe that was her personality and after reading so many posts about aloof GSD’s figured that was the case. However, when friends and neighbors come over she is excited, licks them to death (we don’t get licks), jumps in their lap, wants to be pet, etc., The exact opposite. She’s been in socialization and training since we got her and she’s an angel. Never aggressive or mean to anyone - never snaps or growls. Just perfect, except for the affection. It’s a very clear distinction of how she’s “aloof” with the people that live here and affectionate and attentive to strangers. Just trying to see if anyone has had the same experience. Will it change? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We got our little girl at 6 weeks and she’s 7 months now. She’s never been very affectionate - not excited to see the family (there are 4 of us), not in the morning, not when we come home from school or work - she just sort of opens an eye to see who’s coming in.. Yes, before the questions, we act excited to see her. There is always someone home with her interacting, playing. Plus I take over after work and play with her from 6pm until bedtime. We hug her, kiss her, etc., and she just didn’t seem interested. We accepted that maybe that was her personality and after reading so many posts about aloof GSD’s figured that was the case. However, when friends and neighbors come over she is excited, licks them to death (we don’t get licks), jumps in their lap, wants to be pet, etc., The exact opposite. She’s been in socialization and training since we got her and she’s an angel. Never aggressive or mean to anyone - never snaps or growls. Just perfect, except for the affection. It’s a very clear distinction of how she’s “aloof” with the people that live here and affectionate and attentive to strangers. Just trying to see if anyone has had the same experience. Will it change? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We got our little girl at 6 weeks and she’s 7 months now. She’s never been very affectionate - not excited to see the family (there are 4 of us), not in the morning, not when we come home from school or work - she just sort of opens an eye to see who’s coming in.. Yes, before the questions, we act excited to see her. There is always someone home with her interacting, playing. Plus I take over after work and play with her from 6pm until bedtime. We hug her, kiss her, etc., and she just didn’t seem interested. We accepted that maybe that was her personality and after reading so many posts about aloof GSD’s figured that was the case. However, when friends and neighbors come over she is excited, licks them to death (we don’t get licks), jumps in their lap, wants to be pet, etc., The exact opposite. She’s been in socialization and training since we got her and she’s an angel. Never aggressive or mean to anyone - never snaps or growls. Just perfect, except for the affection. It’s a very clear distinction of how she’s “aloof” with the people that live here and affectionate and attentive to strangers. Just trying to see if anyone has had the same experience. Will it change? Thanks and sorry for the long post.
In my experience, most working breeds show affection differently. They have desire to work and please you, but won't be super physically affectionate. I have a Rottie mix who I got very young, from a backyard breeder just trying to get rid of him so he saw me as his Dad/Mom and has always been super clingy and affectionate, meanwhile my GSD doesn't like to be touched much unless it's on his terms. He wants to please me, not sit in my lap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my experience, most working breeds show affection differently. They have desire to work and please you, but won't be super physically affectionate. I have a Rottie mix who I got very young, from a backyard breeder just trying to get rid of him so he saw me as his Dad/Mom and has always been super clingy and affectionate, meanwhile my GSD doesn't like to be touched much unless it's on his terms. He wants to please me, not sit in my lap.
I understand, but she’s super affectionate - licking, petting requests, on lap- with everyone except her family. That’s the puzzle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I understand, but she’s super affectionate - licking, petting requests, on lap- with everyone except her family. That’s the puzzle.
Could just be excitement. New people are fun!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could just be excitement. New people are fun!
Thought of that. But it’s not like she sometimes shows us affection. This dog has NEVER greeted us at the door, never showered us with kisses, never sits with us. But ALWAYS sits with visitors and showers them with kisses. I’ve had at least a dozen dogs and I know they get excited when people visit, but they’ve always been excited to see me. This one doesn’t seem to care - even when I come home from being away for a week or more...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yeah that is definitely odd... do you train your dog frequently? My gsd is not affectionate at all but if I leave to go get the mail for 5 minutes she acts like I haven’t seen her for a month.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
we act excited to see her. There is always someone home with her interacting, playing. Plus I take over after work and play with her from 6pm until bedtime. We hug her, kiss her, etc., and she just didn’t seem interested.
Why would she? You interact, play, hug and kiss her constantly. Does she ever get down time?

Ignore her for a couple of days. I bet you see a different reaction when you grab a ball and ask if she wants to play.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Have you ever owned a dog before her? What kinds? Did you personally work with a trainer on training, or was this a board and train where only the trainer worked with her without you present? What kinds of things do you do with her while playing from 6 PM until bedtime? How does she like that? What's her favorite game?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Sounds like you may be giving attention too freely and now it has little value. Like Jax said, ignore her some and it'll change. What's a typical day like for her? Does anyone engage her in play or training?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that is definitely odd... do you train your dog frequently? My gsd is not affectionate at all but if I leave to go get the mail for 5 minutes she acts like I haven’t seen her for a month.
We had an in-home trainer for the first 2 months and then daycare training about 1 week a month - drop off around 10am and pickup around 5.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you ever owned a dog before her? What kinds? Did you personally work with a trainer on training, or was this a board and train where only the trainer worked with her without you present? What kinds of things do you do with her while playing from 6 PM until bedtime? How does she like that? What's her favorite game?
I had a GSD growing up and about a dozen after that. I have 3 friends with GSD’s and they’re affectionate and attentive. We had in-home training for the first couple of months and now about 2 or 3 days a week we’ll do daycare training - drop off in the morning and pickup in the afternoon. Only positive reinforcement training - no ecollars or anything like that. We either play frisbee catch and return or with a ball outside and inside with a variety of toys tug and catch. She loves to play. When I come home she’ll pick up her rope toy and and come up to me or if I’m doing something else she’ll come up behind me with it and nudge to get my attention. She actually responds to her name when playing, so I know it’s a choice when she doesn’t.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you may be giving attention too freely and now it has little value. Like Jax said, ignore her some and it'll change. What's a typical day like for her? Does anyone engage her in play or training?
We actually have another dog - a little shih tzu. We had 2 and one passed and I wanted a GSD because my childhood GSD was so great. Anyway, when I’m at work my wife of kids play with her. If not, she goes to day training and socialization a couple days a week- drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon. She loves it. The first 2 months of training were in our house with us. We all practice training during the day and go on long walks. The neighborhood loves her.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don’t know, every dog I’ve had usually craves attention, and I’ve had plenty including GSD.. I have 3 friends with GSD’s and their dogs are a bit more affectionate. I’ve seen other threads where people say their dog became more affectionate later on. Which would be fine if she wasn’t affectionate with anyone but she’s affectionate with everyone except us....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We got her at 8 weeks, not 6...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just a thought. Did you train your dog on obedience? Perhaps you and your family overdid it and your dog went overly obedient with you. GSD are working breed and might have thought and with you and your family it’s “work time” and with others people it’s “down time”

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a thought. Did you train your dog on obedience? Perhaps you and your family overdid it and your dog went overly obedient with you. GSD are working breed and might have thought and with you and your family it’s “work time” and with others people it’s “down time”
No because she’s always been like this with us. That’s why, at first, we accepted it as her temperament until she was warm and fuzzy with friends. Even during training when we were teaching her not to jump on people they told us what to do when she got excited and jumped on us, BUT she never gets excited or jumps on us. So we have to count on when friends come over and help us train for that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Scotibs said:
No because she’s always been like this with us. That’s why, at first, we accepted it as her temperament until she was warm and fuzzy with friends. Even during training when we were teaching her not to jump on people they told us what to do when she got excited and jumped on us, BUT she never gets excited or jumps on us. So we have to count on when friends come over and help us train for that.
It is indeed strange. All I know that sometimes dogs pick whom they get excited for and it’s not necessarily their primary caregiver.

My sister has a beagle, and in the past he showed her only minimal affection (pays attention and is affectionate only when treats are involved). But she clearly loves that dog and he gets excited with everyone else.

What We did was to lend her my dog (larger, older, and extremely well behaved dog) for a couple of weeks. Seeing that he has competition and my sister giving my dog attention and the other dog being affectionate. He started to do the same for her.

Perhaps Previous advises are correct. She’s taking your attention for granted. If ignoring her doesn’t work maybe borrow a gentle Labrador and see if she’d change her ways if given the presence of another dog.

However, not knowing your dog, best take extra caution and assess her well. You have to be sure she’s not aggressive as I wouldn’t want the other dog to get hurt. With my sister’s dog it was easier as I know beagles are a non aggressive breed - and I know she’d take good care of my dog.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts