German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok another stumbling block. Do I force Roxy to stay out in the rain to "work" or do I let her be lazy in the house?
She wants no part of being out in the rain ( 4 months old) ..I put her leash on her and she wants to do her business and get back in the house.

She does have the enclosed kitchen area to "romp" and chase her ball around..it's not a huge area but it's not tiny either.

we are predicted to have rain and thunderstorms for the next 3 days ( ARGH) :help:

"I" have no problem putting on a raincoat and being out with her..but I don't want to force something else on her and make her even more rain shy.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since she is going to the potty outside in the rain, I wouldn't force her to stay out in it. Playing indoors is fine.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
Get her crazy with some toy and gradually move to the outside when it is raining mildly to get her comfy in the rain. Once she is in working mode she may be forgetting about getting wet.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't see any reason to force her to work in the rain. She goes potty and that is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Lucky for you you can at least get her out to do her buisness, I actually have to force Penny down the stairs of the deck to go to the bathroom or else she will just laydown on the deck and no go, come in whine to go out poke her head out over the edge (past the roof) gets wet from the rain shakes her head and lays down near the door on the deck again, she will only go if I physically get her down the stairs (not in a mean way dont worry lol ) If there is another dog to play with she will ignore the rain and play... silly puppy (she is 7 months old)

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 13 week old just experienced a few days of rain and she didn't like it at first, so I played with her (used her favorite game, chasing a towel on a stick) and soon she didn't even notice the rain.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd take the lazy in the house option. That is a relaxed dog.

Also walk your dog like normal if it is raining and you'll find they really don't mind the rain. I'd also not coddle etc if it's is stormy/thundery. Just act like normal.

If the dog is refusing to go out, lead her out with a leash or coax her with a bit of food. Stay with her there, and let her sniff around and do her business and then let her follow you back.

Don't lock her out there or she'll become more reluctant to go out.

·
Banned
377 Posts
I used a big old golf umbrella when my dog was a pup. As time went by she ventured farther and farther away. Now, when it is raining, she goes out and does her business and gets right back in .... unless there is something interesting then she stays out and gets soaked. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so I'm guessing it's normal. we are opting for the lazy inside day..cuz it's a cold wet rain and now I'm with her..it's a movie ..chew on a bone kind of a day. :)

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
so I'm guessing it's normal. we are opting for the lazy inside day..cuz it's a cold wet rain and now I'm with her..it's a movie ..chew on a bone kind of a day. :)
In the Pacific NW this would mean staying inside for 9 months out of the year with a working dog:eek::eek:. We have to train our dogs to go into the rain, and buy rain gear for ourselves, no excuses in the NW. I think actually people are born with rain coats here.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rain let up to just a mist / gentle rain...so we did get an hour of training/walking in..YAY US! and now she's napping. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and obviously it's going to be just about like the rainy coast here for the next at least 3 days :( sigh..I seriously do not know how you rainy coast dwellers do it. I'm moody enough without it raining ALL the time. I watch Greys Anatomy and have panic attacks just seeing it's raining almost every episode! HOLY COW

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
and obviously it's going to be just about like the rainy coast here for the next at least 3 days :( sigh..I seriously do not know how you rainy coast dwellers do it. I'm moody enough without it raining ALL the time. I watch Greys Anatomy and have panic attacks just seeing it's raining almost every episode! HOLY COW
Part of life here. Rain keeps Oregon green and prevents overpopulation. People are way too scared of rain. I once was in Phoenix where the sun always shines. Not for me; everything is poisonous, too hot or prickly. You can't walk your dogs most of the time due to the heat and and the cactus needles (or how you call them).
I love the moist forest trails the serene silence of old growth, plenty of swimming holes and comfy temps for GSDs.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
In the Pacific NW this would mean staying inside for 9 months out of the year with a working dog:eek::eek:. We have to train our dogs to go into the rain, and buy rain gear for ourselves, no excuses in the NW. I think actually people are born with rain coats here.
haha, I am in the NW too. The rain lately has been crazy, I do want summer! I had to get my corgi used to the rain. He still has airplane ears sometimes in protest, but once we get training he forgets about it.

I don't mind the rain at all, I wish it thunder stormed more, though....:)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I'm used to iowa having lived in the same town all my life..I like some sun/warm and then some rain and thunderboomers ...and then rotating it all over again. But looks like we are stuck with rain for at least 3 days.

LOL that's funny airplane ears...Roxy does that!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts