German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thunder, 10 weeks old is really resisting having a leash on. He is ok with a collar, but when the leash is on, he will either chew it frantically, or start walking backwards and sounding distressed. We can run with him with it on, but the moment we stop.. its all back on again!

I presume this is normal, but thought I'd ask if there were techniques for helping him adjust.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Baron did the same thing. He still likes to bite the leash from time to time. Until I put a harness on him and the hook for the leash is on his back
He looked pissed

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Our puppy took her time getting used to the leash. Have you let him walk around with just the leash on (in a fenced in yard) so he can get used to have it behind him? Our pup would BUCK and BUCK whenever we tried to get her to go anywhere. I would just give it a firm tug and let her negotiate her feelings about it. She eventually came around and now she can't wait to get that leash on (because it means we are going out!) I say be patient and don't try to baby him while he is distressed. I know it is heart breaking to hear them whimper, but unless he really is hurting himself, he has to figure out that the leash is actually his friend!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right. A few times we have had to scruff him to the ground when his nipping got out of control, he has made a LOUD noise and won't stop, and usually afterward runs away for a few seconds. He seems as good as gold a few seconds on.

One question. Sometimes when he gets the ball or similar toy and we are playing fetch, fairly hit and miss with the bring it back part, he will run away with the ball when we are trying to get it. I am thinking this is him being dominant and, other than forcing him to give it back, I am not sure how to put a stop to that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
>>>> he will run away with the ball when we are trying to get it.

FWIW, My dog did -- and still does -- this. She's not guarding the ball. She's just not interested in the ball, or any other retrieval object, very much at all. What she loves are games of chase and touch (remember "Calvinball" from Calvin and Hobbes? That's Annie's favorite), and the ball is just a way for her to get this started.

And sometimes, clearly, she's bored with ball games and just takes the ball out of circulation. On walks, when I've thrown a stick to the point of boredom for her, she goes through the most amazing and creative contortions not to retrieve it to me, although she clearly understands what I'm asking. If I insist she'll bring it to me, but I anymore I cut the game off at a good retrieve before we get to that point.

I've never pushed her hard on retrieving -- it's not that important to me, and we do lots of other things together (walks, games of tag, training games) that I prefer, too. I did do basic retrieve to hand work with her, starting off with exchanging the ball for treats. She does this nicely for short periods of time, but she obviously thinks of it has a "have to" not a "love to".

She's very loving, responsive, and well behaved and enjoys all kinds of training exercises -- it's not a dominance issue for her.

My first GSD loved the ball with a purple passion from the time she could stagger and would retrieve until she dropped.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My pup is 7 months, and he has been off and on with leashes and behavior. We got him used to the leash really young (7-8 wks) but sometimes he has tantrums with it and bites and tugs. He is in that phase again right now. I think his problem is mostly defiance and struggle for alpha role. Hopefully some calm firmness with it and work in other leadership areas will help.

I've never been able to use the long lead because he wants to play with it or fight it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my pup home yesterday (8 weeks old). I pretty much followed the Leerburg approach and it seems to be working well. Basically anytime she is out of the crate she has a leash on. 6 foot in the house and 20 foot outside. She wasn't thrilled at first but seems to have got used to it already.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
The way I dealt with the leash issue on a pup, was I didn't

It wasn't worth the battle or frustration. Frankly, both my GSD pups were really bonded to the house/yard and really didn't want to leave (leash or not).

Since I have a backyard, and young puppies want to be with me (course I go out with treats and toys, so who wouldn't) I use the yard for poops/peeps and general bonding/fun training. But NOT for exercise.

Keeping with the offleash theme, and the socialize until we drop theme I alway preach
for exercise, I pack that puppy in the car and we go somewhere safe I can have them off leash. A NEW place will assure they stick with me (not run for the house/yard). And I don't need the leash cause, uh, they will stick with me....

Here's Bretta when first got her (see, no leash!)... (dark sable puppy) Swimming

Meeting a friend and their dog and going for a hike

Here they are after saying hey

Have to admit around 5 or 6 months, the maturity level and independence starts to show in my girls and the leash is a bit more in evidence. But since this coincides with my obedience classes.... the leash and training fits right in!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I agree with MRL that there is great benefit to bonding and training without a leash, but I also think that a dog should be able to wear a leash without flipping out (how else will you get to the vet? what if something happens to the owner and someone else needs to more the dog?).

If it were my dog I'd put a drag line on him. Just snap on a short leash and let him drag it around, so he gets used to having a leash on, but there's no resistance yet.

As for the ball thing, it sounds like the dog is thinking the ball is for a chase/keep-away game. This has absolutely nothing to do with dominance. Not all dogs inherently retrieve and drop the toy. My dog will bring his ball back but when I try to take it he runs off with it. He wants me to chase him and play his game. I just turn around with my back to him and refuse to play. Then he figures out that *I* make the rules and he brings the ball back. I'm also teaching him to "out" (drop the ball, sit and wait).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts