German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a German shepherd puppy at 8 weeks old. He only weighs 10.5 pounds at 8 weeks. Does he look pure?

He looks very bony, but has huge hands, and stands. His mom and dad were pretty large, but him and the rest of his siblings looked pretty small. I guess the questions i have are...

1) Is he underweight?
2) does he look pure bred? (I have no papers)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
Cute pup!Looks to me like there is some type of hound mixed with Gsd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I took him to the Vet and the vet said he looks like a shepherd., but i just checked hound mix and he looks alot like what you said.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So cute :) To me, his ears do look a bit broad for pure GSD, but that's a tough one. You may just have to see how he grows :) He doesn't look underweight in those photos but they aren't the best angle for viewing. Can you take one from over top of him, looking down at his back?

·
Banned
56 Posts
Where did you get him from? He looks a lot like my current German Shepherd puppy who is 14 weeks now.. My pup also has giant paws, and a thick bone structure, with floppy ears.

He looks pure German Shepherd to me because of his eyebrows and muzzle. He is a little skinny, most pups average 12 lb at 8 weeks, but there have been loads of people who picked up their puppy when they were 10 lb, just keep feeding him, he's just a baby, it's an easy fix. Mine was 10 lb when I brought him home, skinniest pup out of the litter, yet... Had the biggest paws and tiny litter mates.

Edit: If you can try take a side shot of his snout.

Cute pup!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got him from a breeder on craigslist. She seemed honest. She said there are two litters, same dad different mom. In the other litter, the pups ears were already up. its really tough for me because i always wanted a pure shepherd, but I dont want to get too attatched and find out that I was lied to.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just posted new pictures of him.

Where did you get him from? He looks a lot like my current German Shepherd puppy who is 14 weeks now.. My pup also has giant paws, and a thick bone structure, with floppy ears.

He looks pure German Shepherd to me because of his eyebrows and muzzle. He is a little skinny, most pups average 12 lb at 8 weeks, but there have been loads of people who picked up their puppy when they were 10 lb, just keep feeding him, he's just a baby, it's an easy fix. Mine was 10 lb when I brought him home, skinniest pup out of the litter, yet... Had the biggest paws and tiny litter mates.

Edit: If you can try take a side shot of his snout.

Cute pup!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just posted new pics of him, let me know if you need more!

So cute :) To me, his ears do look a bit broad for pure GSD, but that's a tough one. You may just have to see how he grows :) He doesn't look underweight in those photos but they aren't the best angle for viewing. Can you take one from over top of him, looking down at his back?

·
Banned
56 Posts
I got him from a breeder on craigslist. She seemed honest. She said there are two litters, same dad different mom. In the other litter, the pups ears were already up. its really tough for me because i always wanted a pure shepherd, but I dont want to get too attatched and find out that I was lied to.
Nope, he looks pure German Shepherd to me. Usually with mix, you can see a bigger head and the way the markings are placed all over them, yet the eyebrows are more spread apart with a fatter/squarer head, even his eye shape looks like a pure GSD. Does he have a slope on his back at all when walking around? (Doesn't have to obviously.)

Gorgeous pup, he looks like mine literally, but mine was by far bigger at 8 weeks since he was the biggest out of the litter with the massive paws, even he has white toes like your pup and the floppy ears.

Since your puppy has massive paws you can tell he has a thick bone structure, pups with a thicker bone structure (like mine), tend to have ears that take a longer time to go erect than their litter mates ears, I wouldn't worry, they're always going up and down either way and will finally go up.

Either way though, I see no mix in him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your very informative response. I appreciate that there are people like you to help with questions other have. His back does not curve when he stands. The breeder told me that he is a "straight back shepherd"

Nope, he looks pure German Shepherd to me. Usually with mix, you can see a bigger head and the way the markings are placed all over them, yet the eyebrows are more spread apart with a fatter/squarer head, even his eye shape looks like a pure GSD. Does he have a slope on his back at all when walking around? (Doesn't have to obviously.)

Gorgeous pup, he looks like mine literally, but mine was by far bigger at 8 weeks since he was the biggest out of the litter with the massive paws, even he has white toes like your pup and the floppy ears.

Since your puppy has massive paws you can tell he has a thick bone structure, pups with a thicker bone structure (like mine), tend to have ears that take a longer time to go erect than their litter mates ears, I wouldn't worry, they're always going up and down either way and will finally go up.

Either way though, I see no mix in him.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Thanks for your very informative response. I appreciate that there are people like you to help with questions other have. His back does not curve when he stands. The breeder told me that he is a "straight back shepherd"
there is no such thing as a "straight back shepherds" The only bloodline that doesn't fit that description would be some of the West German Showline dogs (unlikely to find those in a Craigslist ad) which have a roached back.

what most people view as the "curved" back (your words) is actually just a show stack. Simply a way they are taught to stand to show off body angles for judging.

You may never know for sure if he is pure since you went to a less than responsible breeder. He may be a mix that takes mostly after the GSD side of genetics so that you can't tell. Or he may grow to look like "maybe he's a mix, maybe not" because he is from a breeder who doesn't take great care selecting their breeding dogs.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't worry, the breeder isn't obviously a professional breeder, looks like she just bred her pets, but he is purebred like I said before. Like someone said you can always get him tested ;) - I still bet he's purebred.

Like to mention, like someone said there is no straight back shepherds, usually though, you'll see the glorious slope of their backs when they "trot" like this:
- It's something you'll see with the breed only, it sounds ridiculous, I know.

Again though, absolutely gorgeous pup! Enjoy him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
He definitely looks pure Shepherd! I wouldn't worry about his weight at the moment, Rollo was only 5.8kg at 10 weeks, and now at 20 weeks he is 22kg :surprise:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts