German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my new Sable Male. Sire has a long coat. Dam has a short coat, but her mother had a long coat. Puppy is currently 6 weeks old. Was wondering if anyone would look at the pictures and let me know. I have pictures of him at 5 and 6 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,747 Posts
Very cute, but definitely not a long coat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for replying. Updated pics from yesterday (Week 7). His is getting big and his hair is coming in thicker. He has twice as much hair as his brother (purple) in the pictures. I've been told that he may have a "plush" coat rather than a short coat. Do you agree?

I also attached pictures of both parents. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,747 Posts
Plush is just a descriptive term, it's not a coat type. Stock coats can vary in length and thickness but they're still considered stock. Long coats can also vary quite a bit.

Reactions: Mei

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
They look great! Whatever coat, I want one of those fur balls.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Not coaties. Your breeder should know what they are breeding. One parent has to carry for long coats, I think it's only one, in order for there to be a possibility of long coats.
Frankly if the breeder does not know what they are breeding I would walk away. This breed has enough issues with poor breeding to make that a deal breaker. What else don't they know?

·
Super Moderator
9,476 Posts
Not coaties. Your breeder should know what they are breeding. One parent has to carry for long coats, I think it's only one, in order for there to be a possibility of long coats.
Frankly if the breeder does not know what they are breeding I would walk away. This breed has enough issues with poor breeding to make that a deal breaker. What else don't they know?
Both parents need to carry, but both don’t need to express it. The sire of this pup is a long coat, as is the dams mother. But I agree, I don’t think either pup pictured here will be a long coat.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
LC is a recessive gene so both parents must carry it for there to be a chance of LC puppies in a litter, but don't have to be LC to have LC puppies. My first puppy was an LC, but bother parents were stock coats. They both carried the LC gene though so some puppies were LC.

Neither puppy looks to be long coated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts