German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked my pup up at 7 weeks. He is now on week 8 (8/20/2020) and weighed in at 7lbs. Mind you, i weighed him by jumping on my scale without him and then checking how much it shows with me holding him. Should i be concerned? I have seen many forums and what not that says Males weigh more around 11-20lbs at 8 weeks so my pup doesnt even hit the minimum. How can I help catch him up?

·
Registered
58 Posts
He looks beautiful but 7 lbs is pretty light.
I found that the bathroom scale trick doesn’t work very well.
Is he eating well? How much do you feed him? Could be worms or he is just a little guy at this time.

There are some very qualified members here that will chime in.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If he’s healthy, I wouldn’t worry too much about weight. Has he been to a vet for a checkup? If so, was he tested for parasites? It’s totally possible he’s just on the smaller side, and you really have nothing to worry about. Some dogs grow faster than others.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Is he a good eater and does he have normal puppy energy levels? Has he had a vet check yet? If he hasn't been to vet yet, that would be my first suggestion in order to make sure there are no internal parasites or other health issues holding him back. He's a cutie and may just be on the small side, but probably a good plan to have him checked out to make sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I feed him strictly what the feeder scales says to give him based off of weight and age. Right now it says to feed him 1 cup of his food. I am feeding him Wellness Core Large Breed Puppy food. He is definitely a good eater. The food doesn’t last long once I put it down and he never leaves any to waste which is good. He is still still in the transition stage though from the food the breeder was feeding him which was luvsome. It is located at Kroger Stores and I found a small bag of it for $3.00. My bet is he wasn’t getting the proper nutrients. As for shots and checkups, from what I was given, he just received his shots on 8/12 so I set his checkup for September 4th which was the soonest the vet would allow me to go so unfortunately I don’t get to have him checked for another 14 days.

·
Super Moderator
9,112 Posts
their feeding guidelines aren’t very clear to me... at 387 calories per cup, that’s not nearly enough for a growing pup 🤔 i can’t tell his body condition from the photo you posted, but i’d gradually increase his food by a quarter cup every day (making sure his stools stay solid) and feed him 3x a day for awhile.

for reference, at 6-8 weeks, the labrador puppies that i work with eat .5-1.25c (per serving) of food 3x a day... it’s adjusted according to each pups body condition (checked weekly). not the bag, not the number on the scale.

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so for him I am feeding him 1 cup to maybe 1.25 cups for the entire day. Not per serving. Am I supposed to be doing more?

·
Super Moderator
9,112 Posts
Ok so for him I am feeding him 1 cup to maybe 1.25 cups for the entire day. Not per serving. Am I supposed to be doing more?
in my opinion, yes

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You should feed more. My puppy was very healthy at 1.5 cup servings 2x a day.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Definitely feed more. I would feed at least 3 or 4 times per day. Puppies need to eat frequently since they can't hold so much at one time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you feel your puppy isnt gaining weight but is very active, supplement some of the fats with chicken fat. Just get chicken skins and fry then and use that fat with the food. make sure you arent giving too much or you will have a pup with diarrhea. I did the same for my 4 month old puppy when I got her. She was way underweight. I think her weight is little too much now but we exercise a lot so Im ok with a 8 month old puppy at 50 pounds.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Giving extra fat can cause pancreatitis. In addition, cooked fat is denatured. If you do give fat, it should be raw.
However, I would not add fat for a puppy eating kibble. He needs more food, not fat. One cup is a fraction of what he needs.
You need to feed a puppy the amount an ADULT would eat, divided into 4 meals. Hans arrived eating kibble. The breeder said to feed him 3/4 cup 4 times a day.

If you feel your puppy isnt gaining weight but is very active, supplement some of the fats with chicken fat. Just get chicken skins and fry then and use that fat with the food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with most everyone else a cup a day seems way to low. I've mostly fed raw and the puppies eat about a pound and a quarter to a pound and half over three meals for the day (about half a pound a meal).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Giving extra fat can cause pancreatitis. In addition, cooked fat is denatured. If you do give fat, it should be raw.
However, I would not add fat for a puppy eating kibble. He needs more food, not fat. One cup is a fraction of what he needs.
You need to feed a puppy the amount an ADULT would eat, divided into 4 meals. Hans arrived eating kibble. The breeder said to feed him 3/4 cup 4 times a day.
I understand you disagreeing. I know people who only feed raw food to their dogs and others who say they would never do it. I seen them both healthy. I took the recommendation from a friend who knows a few things about dogs. I do agree with you about making your dog sick, that is why you only add a tablespoon per meal or less depending on the size of the dog. It worked on my dog and she actually is 8 months and a little taller than 26in, weights around 50 pounds and is very active. When it comes to dogs and kids, different things work for different dogs. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
He looks beautiful but 7 lbs is pretty light.
I found that the bathroom scale trick doesn’t work very well.
Is he eating well? How much do you feed him? Could be worms or he is just a little guy at this time.

There are some very qualified members here that will chime in.
What scale does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They weren’t a licensed breeder or anything like that. Just a random couple who’s dog got pregnant and were selling the pups. This was their first time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts