German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I wonder if my dog (3 yr old GSD) has kennel cough and if he can pick it up even though he is current on his bordatella vaccine? (I am definitely taking him to the vet tomorrow morning to find out.) He was boarded at a kennel (the kind where the dogs get to play with each other all day) for a week about 10 days ago. Last night in the middle of the night, he woke up with the sounds of coughing/dry heaves. It seemed as if he was trying to cough up something, and then occasionally he would vomit white bubbly mucousy stuff. This has continued all day today (Sunday). We called the emergency vet to make sure it didn't sound like bloat, and they assured us that it wasn't and that we should just go to the vet tomorrow. They also told us not to feed him tonight (and the poor guy is giving up very sad, hungry eyes!). What we have observed all day and this evening is that he seems relatively fine, but if he gets up suddenly or is active, he starts the heaving/cough sound. Most of the time now, though, he is not vomiting up the white foamy stuff, or at least just a little bit of it. He only vomits up anything when he coughs enough.

I even pulled up youtube and looked at some videos of dogs with kennel cough....seems like it probably is that. Our dog is definitely not happy, though. He wants to play, but we are telling him to lie down since it seems to start when he moves around. So, now he is lying at my feet whining....Oh this is so sad.

I always assumed he couldn't get kennel cough if he had the bordatella vaccine, but I am getting the feeling from reading online that maybe that is not the case.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
there are several strains of kennel cough. bordatella only protects against bordatella (which is most common). the incubation is up to 10 days, so it could definitely be what your pup has. i tried two different antibiotics for my boy and he wasnt responsive to either, so before "polluting" his system even more (even tho he was taking a probiotic) i made my way over to an all natural pet store in which i was given a product by World Herbs / Natural Canine. the woman said his cough would cease within 2 days... this ways say on a sunday evening - by tuesday morning he had absolutely no more symptoms (but i continued to administer for 10 days), and my female which he'd been exposed to for over a week, never picked it up from him.

in the meantime, if his cough is getting worse - i gave my boy a teaspoon of pure honey to soothe his throat.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Sounds like kennel cough. I don't understand why they said not to feed though! You want the immune system working to kick the KC out of his system and proper nutrition is important for a healthy immune system!

I had a foster dog last winter who came home with kennel cough. Chama, although never immunized, did not catch it (and they slept right next to one another). I treated him with a homeopathic product for coughing and also gave him some immune boosting herbs and supplements. He got over it in a few days.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Sounds like it, we are just getting over Kennel cough. I had 5 dogs with it, a foster brought it in from the Shelter I don't know why the vet told you not to feed, my dogs still liked to eat , it took them a couple weeks to get over the kennel cough, one of the dogs it took a little longer

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, we are beginning to think that the emergency vet was an idiot. Well, it is after midnight now, so I guess we just will hold off feeding him until morning. I can't wait to get him into our vet, because he is so pitiful right now. I bet it is going to be a long night....

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Originally Posted By: pupresqI think the no feeding thing was in case there was some issue that would require putting the dog under anesthesia.
nods
its a precautionary measure.
of course in emergency cases they'd have to operate regardless, but its higher risk.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just called the vet (it is 7;15 am here), and they told me that it sounds like kennel cough. They said go ahead and feed him. Even though he has deteriorated a lot overnight, then can't give me an appointment until 4 pm today. Grrr..... At this point, it is now affecting his behavior. He was still playful all weekend, but now lethargic and very clearly feels unwell. the vet's office said he definitely can get kennel cough even though he had his bordatalla vaccine. I know it is irrational to be mad at the kennel, but I think I am anyway....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vet said that it was definately kennel cough! He gave us 2 medicines for Ranger -- one of them is 2 pills twice/day for 20 days and the other is 1 pill twice/day for a week. So, I am glad that they are going after it aggressively. Ranger was beginning to get really listless and clearly felt awful. I am relieved that we at least have medicine now. The vet said that if Ranger is still vomiting white foam after 48 hrs, then he wants us to call him back.

Hard to believe, but after one dose of meds, he seems more comfortable. Must be my imagination, but whatever works!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts