German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.5 year old is marking seemingly uncontrollably. It's like he smells another dog and then will just go without warning. He's unfixed (waiting at least 2 years). It makes it impossible to go to a per store without at least 2 incidents. Even while moving, the pee will flow haha. He does this walking while peeing thing. It's impressive. And annoying.

I just fear it'll become ingrained in him to mark even after getting him fixed later on. Or does this behavior tend to go away after neutering? And how do I prevent it in the meantime from happening more often than it should (besides the obvious control when he's allowed to sniff)?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've never seen walking and peeing before... Are you sure he doesn't have a UTI? My girl is spayed and she marks like it's her job. What I've done to control it is to correct it. I see her look like she gonna start and she receives a verbal correction. I now feel comfortable taking her into stores, but I doubt I'll ever feel comfortable having her off leash in someone else's house. She's never marked in someone's house but she almost did once, and ever since then it's been on leash or laying right next to me in someone's house.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Marking is a training issue and managing it is important. I let my dog know he can't lift his leg just anywhere and his marking is minimal....though he did do it once in a pet store and I stopped him immediately! He had really never been in a pet store for over a year, and I'm sure the other dogs scent made him feel the need. But he was corrected and was fine for the rest of the visit.
It's impressive.
Don't let your dog do it, neutering probably won't help that behavior....as you've let him get away with it over and over.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Did you ever correct him for it. My intact males have always known I had to give them permission to pee on a walk.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sniffing leads to marking. Don't let him do any sniffing when in the pet store or out on a walk unless you want him to pee. He should only pee on leash when you let him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I do my best to prevent and correct and work on a sit and stay when in smelly situations. Was just curious if being unfixed played a part at all.

And no he doesn't have a UTI. He's never been a leg lifter and has always peed and then sometimes started walking before he was done. He likes to be on the move. He tends to poop and take a few steps and poop some more too. It's just his style I guess.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how do you know he doesn't have a UTI?? i let my dog
mark wherever he wants when we're outside. i've never had
a problem with him peeing/marking when indoors.

Yes, I do my best to prevent and correct and work on a sit and stay when in smelly situations. Was just curious if being unfixed played a part at all.

>>>> And no he doesn't have a UTI. <<<<

He's never been a leg lifter and has always peed and then sometimes started walking before he was done. He likes to be on the move. He tends to poop and take a few steps and poop some more too. It's just his style I guess.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hummm....

I have had 3 male dogs. Two of which were neutered and marked like crazy, and my current male is not neutered and I have seen him mark one time. He turned two in May. I think it's more of a training issue for the individual dog instead of a whole dog/neutered issue.

I am also pondering whether it is a dominance issue; the dominate dog wants to claim territory..? Both of my males who liked to mark were dominate, and Jackson is more submissive and doesn't mark. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
No not really, at least it didn't effect Taz a bit. He marked every tree and bush in the neighborhood. :laugh: But all dogs are differnt "this is my experience" with neutered dog

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
No not really, at least it didn't effect Taz a bit. He marked every tree and bush in the neighborhood.
Because he was allowed to?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
The main reason I try to manage marking is the burning of my plants. In the spring I put a pot of dahlia's out and every morning, Karlo chose that spot to lift his leg....by the 3rd day, I stopped him and he knew better. The plant was burned but not destroyed. I try to respect landscapes(where I train there are designated spots for this) and don't let him just lift his leg wherever he wants.
He figures it out fast and I don't have to correct him. Key word 'outside' or potty' will let him know it is ok to go.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I've had close to 200 foster dogs through my house over the years and most of them were males. Most of them were neutered before I got them, but not all, and I currently have two intact males and one neutered male of my own. My own dogs do not ever mark. I have found that almost all of the males that were into marking when they arrived, stopped doing it within a week or two of arrival, both intact and neutered.

My guess is it's me and not the dog that's causing this. I'm not doing anything to stop it when they are out in the yard, but I do not ever allow them to potty when out walking and I walk them a lot. The walking thing must carry over because they quit marking in the yard when they potty. Weird.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well maybe there is a possibility of a UTI but they are different problems. One is walking while peeing and the other is marking. I don't want to confuse the issues. The pee walk has been the same since he was a pup, the marking was after puberty struck. What other symptoms would a UTI show?

It could be a dominance issue but he doesn't show any other signs of dominance or aggression. He gets along with just about every dog and when he wrestles he spends equal time on his back as not. At least, I don't think there are any other signs but people who watch him tend to say he plays really well

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My conclusion is prevent and correct more and keep at it. Don't let him sniff at all even if he cooperates on walks. If he dips his nose down even while walking nicely, remind him it's time to walk and not sniff right? When we stop, unless I want him to sniff, make sure he sits and stays instead of sniff around and potentially mark

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I would would say your on the right track for sure. The peeing when he walks though you might want to have your vet check and make sure hes ok.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
My conclusion is prevent and correct more and keep at it. Don't let him sniff at all even if he cooperates on walks. If he dips his nose down even while walking nicely, remind him it's time to walk and not sniff right? When we stop, unless I want him to sniff, make sure he sits and stays instead of sniff around and potentially mark
Yes! You get to decide when it's potty time by stopping, telling him to potty, and letting him sniff. Otherwise, he keeps his nose up and there's no peeing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. I'll have the vet check him for UTI just be be safe and do what I said above for the marking! I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
This is actually an interesting thread..none of my dogs(male or female) mark or have ever marked. They pee one time and they are done. Now stray dogs that I have brought into my home did, but they weren't fixed and once they were fixed the marking did stop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts