German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD's ears are still down at 23 Mo. I don't really care whether they ever stand up or not. That is not why I got the dog... I have only had her for 3 weeks, but she is already the love of my life and we spend all day every day together. I am disabled and was fortunate enough to get a dog that was deemed unsuitable for continued training as a Service Animal. Since my Government doesn't consider me to be ill enough to help, I have to go to outside the box solutions to in the box issues. With plenty of love and one on one training she will complete her training with me and become much more than she already is. So I ask why it would matter if your GSD has floppy ears or fully erect rin-tin- tin ears. No matter what we end up loving them and they do some amazing things just seeking our attention and approval. Is it that important, or perhaps a genetic flaw that is trying to be bred out or eliminated?

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It is a genetic fault, GSD's ears are supposed to be erect as part of the breed standard. Some need help, some never stand regardless. It doesn't make them any less purebred :)

Some people care while others don't, if I personally had a pup that was young enough to help I would for a little bit, but if in the end if they never came up I really wouldn't care or love them any less

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Most everyone would like to see standing ears on their gsd's because that is the standard and how the dog is recognized by their looks. It is not a deciding factor in how we love our breed because we love them regardless.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
To me the ears are not that big of a deal. If you happen to have a dog with soft ears, so be it. Your dog still has all the attributes of what makes a GSD a GSD, enjoy her!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
To me it doesn't really matter either sure it looks nice but it doesn't make the dog. Bella ears stand up but in all honesty she has them down most of the time and I think of her as the most beautiful girl :)

Congratulations on your new addition, would love to some pics !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,367 Posts
It only matters if it matters to you. If you don't care, then it doesn't matter! It certainly isn't going to affect her temperament or her abilities as your service dog.

I want my dogs to look like German Shepherds and the breed standard specifies erect ears, so it is important to me that the ears stand up. Halo got an ear hematoma a couple of months ago and needed surgery on one ear. It actually healed pretty well, I've seen a few dogs where the ear is either flopped over after surgery or ended up kind of scrunched up, but hers just tips slightly to the side. It's actually sort of cute so it really doesn't bother us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only matters if you are going to show or breed . It's a fault so no show & if trying to breed purebred dogs to std you wouldn't use it. Years ago I had a male with 1 ear up & 1 ear down . We called him A/C D/C still a great dog just no show or breed .

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
she is already the love of my life and we spend all day every day together.

Doesn't sound like ears up really matters to YOU, does it? :)

Congrats on your new partner in crime, sounds like the two of you were meant to find one another.

Of course, this thread would be made better with a pic of aforementioned floppy eared dog :cool:

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
My dog has a fault, too.
He has a reverse mask. But then, I wanted one like that, so that part of the standard was not important to me.
Erect ears, on the other hand, are a distinguishing feature of the breed, so to me they were important. But if they are not to you, it shouldn't matter.
Enjoy your floppy-eared girl!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it gives her character. They do not look like there is any hope they will ever be erect, but it doesn't matter to me at all really. I chose a GSD for their intelegence, loyalty and fearlessness. Heres a couple of pics of my floppy eared girl. She has her faults and we are working them out with time, but she is extremely smart and willing to do just about anything you ask her to do. Sometimes it just takes a while to convince her that it is OK. She was originally a SD in training, but transitioned too slowly to complete her training and be placed with a Service Member with PTSD. DSC00329.jpg , DSC00337.jpg

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi Bob.
That's us exactly what my girls ears look like too but I don't care because she is the love of my life.. I paid for show quality and my breeder will absolutely do nothing for me. You know what, she is smart, loyal to a fault, intelligent, great temperament, and even though I got ripped off by a my breeder, I still wouldn't trade her for the world. Two other pups in the litter, also sold and paid show quality prices, ears don't stand either.

Nala Von vertrauen 3/15/12

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
It only matters if it matters to you. If you don't care, then it doesn't matter! It certainly isn't going to affect her temperament or her abilities as your service dog.

I want my dogs to look like German Shepherds and the breed standard specifies erect ears, so it is important to me that the ears stand up. Halo got an ear hematoma a couple of months ago and needed surgery on one ear. It actually healed pretty well, I've seen a few dogs where the ear is either flopped over after surgery or ended up kind of scrunched up, but hers just tips slightly to the side. It's actually sort of cute so it really doesn't bother us.

This. I want a GSD. I want the erect ears. Wouldn't make me love them any less if the ears didn't stand but I cant deny I wouldn't be disappointed at first.

Not to mention, the breed is serious. Soft ears tend to make people take them less seriously. I don't want people getting the wrong impression of my dogs because their ears are soft and they therefore look more friendly. Yes, my dogs are friendly but the point is, erect eared dogs are taken more seriously. I hope that makes sense

·
Registered
479 Posts
This. I want a GSD. I want the erect ears. Wouldn't make me love them any less if the ears didn't stand but I cant deny I wouldn't be disappointed at first.

Not to mention, the breed is serious. Soft ears tend to make people take them less seriously. I don't want people getting the wrong impression of my dogs because their ears are soft and they therefore look more friendly. Yes, my dogs are friendly but the point is, erect eared dogs are taken more seriously. I hope that makes sense
I am sure this is what we all wanted. But buyer beware, there too many big commercial breeders out there now that only care about making money and not producing quality German shepherds and do not take Genetics into account at all when pairing up a male and female gsd. Beware of breeders that have more than 5 or 6 females and a couple of studs. There just in it for the money ..

Nala Vom vertrauen 3/15/12

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you can't include all breeder's with 5 or 6 females and a couple of
studs as being in it for the money. think about it.

I am sure this is what we all wanted. But buyer beware, there too many big commercial breeders out there now that only care about making money and not producing quality German shepherds and do not take Genetics into account at all when pairing up a male and female gsd.

>>>>> Beware of breeders that have more than 5 or 6 females and a couple of studs. There just in it for the money ..<<<<<

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Bob thank you for sharing your pics she has such a sweet little face, she is precious looking :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Oh yes she is a piece of work. Even when she is being skittish she has an air and aura that projects cuteness with an underlying warning to be careful because all you see is not gold. She is very non aggressive and doesn't mouth anything at all except her beloved toys and her "Babies". She carries them around for hours and brings each one for our approval just like a female showing her litter of puppies. But her Big dog voice is fearsome and definitely something to be paid attention to. She only uses it on rare occasions, but if she is using it I immediately know that something important is going on. Sort of belies this sweet and gentle little girl. This is also a completely untrained voluntary behavior that she began immediately after she decided that she wanted me to be her special people. My wife and I are about the only humans she sees regularly and she has decided that we are to be protected above all. It is very humbling and heart warming that she has accepted us in such a total and complete way. She is special and we do love her quite a bit already so the feelings between her and us are mutual and I think this is where a strong bond comes from between owners and their pack members. Thanks!!!!

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think she is absolutely beautiful and all that matters is that you love her and she loves you. Ears are only cosmetic and not the true worth of a dog.:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I am sure this is what we all wanted. But buyer beware, there too many big commercial breeders out there now that only care about making money and not producing quality German shepherds and do not take Genetics into account at all when pairing up a male and female gsd. Beware of breeders that have more than 5 or 6 females and a couple of studs. There just in it for the money ..

you can't include all breeder's with 5 or 6 females and a couple of
studs as being in it for the money. think about it.

I agree. I've seen a couple solid breeders who have several dogs and no issues. I doubt they're in it for the money. That many dogs and vet bills and training costs take up a lot. if anything they lose money. Those with a male and a female that breed them are in it for the money more than a reputable breeder would be IMO.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Today at the dog park I met someone who raises german shepherds, mostly rescue. She stated that she has seen several german shepherds that their ears did not stand up until almost 24 months. (But ears were up at one time when younger). that the only time she would worry is if theyve never gone up. Does anyone I agree/ disagree with this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts