German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Shadow for around 6 months now. He was found as a stray. Had surgery. He blew coat, (as I learned on here), now he looks so skinny. I changed his food. Is he just hitting adolesents and looking long and lean? Does he look to skinny or unhealthy? He is under one, maybe 11 months.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am not sure you can tell how skinny he is in this picture. It is more from his top back looking down. I may have to take another one.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I agree that he doesnt look to skinny based on that picture. But it is always hard to tell, I think my dogs look heavier in pictures.

You might want to take another pic, maybe one from above him.

Most people say they like to run their hands along the side of the dog and feel the ribs, but not necessarily see them. And look at them from above to make sure you can see a waist.

When Kelso is heavily exercising you can see a few ribs, he might need to gain a pound or two, but I think he is looking pretty good where he is.

Here is some links on the topic

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=546289#Post546289

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=653478&page=0&fpart=1

Hope that helps

Shadow is handsome

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is hard to tell in that picture. I will try to get another one. From above.
If I go by what you said Kelso, he is fine. The vet said he is fine. He is just built like a Grey Hound.
You cannot see his ribs, but you can feel them. Now that he is feeling better, he is so active it is hard to keep weight on him. Last weighed he was 65, I think, 3 wks ago, I need to have him weighed again.
Thanks both of you (midddleofnowhere) for your input.
I think he is handsome too, but I am bias.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
You aren't biased - he's gorgeous! Beautiful markings and a very sweet face.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was visiting a new Pet Smart in our area today and took him for a free vet visit. They said he weight was perfect. 58 lbs. I guess he is going to be small.
His elbow displaysia, back foot surgery and his pad are still a mess. That all needs addressed, x-rays, etc. I put him back on his meds.
I thought he was getting better.
Bummer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts