German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered because my 'teenage' daughters prefer the 'accessory size' dogs and my husband flip flops between being proud of him and annoyed. I'm always on my toes to call Tazor away from him if he is hyper or trying to beg.

I just had to have another shepherd after our last one passed away at 13yrs. I think my husband didn't really want another big dog and as much as he loved our last dog he seems to expect the same perfect behavior from Taze. Not gonna happen. I also think sometimes my husband is actually jealous of the attention I give the dog.

I have had several shepherds and I just don't feel right without one. Its been about 30yrs of shepherd ownership. Sooo anyway, I just wondered if I'm the only one who is living with people who may not have the unconditional love for the best breed on earth.

Not to give the wrong impression, no one here is mean to Tazor, just not as smitten as I am. :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
My boyfriend shares my every joy. I've taught him about dog behavior and I have to say one of my favorite things is sitting with him letting the dogs outside as the sun is setting and the heat is letting up, watching the dogs hanging out with each other and their hilarious interactions and we belly laugh at them.

Now that I've had this with him, I don't think I would enjoy being with someone who doesn't enjoy my dogs like I do.
Our families both like dogs, but find their excited behaviors, intensity, poop, pee, smell, fur less than desirable and are not against complaining about it.
They enjoy the small moments of a tired dog and petting them lol

I would find that boring personally but I realize I am an exception

·
Super Moderator
32,036 Posts
Yep! :D

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Myself, wife, & 2 youngest children absolutely love them. My teenage children are somewhat indifferent. My teen son hates how Zoey takes his football and won't give it back, she's popped a number of them. My teen daughter is like meh, until she is home alone, then she corrals them in the lv room with her :laugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
My son does. Kaiser is his buddy, the two of them are thick as thieves. My daughter can take or leave him. And my husband is hot and cold. Like tonight they had "zoomies" together, that was something to see. Other nights he wants nothing to do with him.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yes, but I've noticed they don't love the work that comes with it...especially poo poo clean up:D

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
The dogs are loved by me most, then my DH(he helps me with raw feeding if I am gone, which I totally appreciate!)
My teenage kids barely tolerate them and for the most part wish I didn't have them. But their friends like the dogs and play with them when they come over.
The cats agree w/ my kids...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Yup! Everyone in the house loves Wolfie, and most of our extended family loves him too. My in laws don't like Wolfie, but I don't really care since they don't live with us, and I don't like them at all : )

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Wow that must be awkward,your kids don't like the family dogs??!! Anyway both me and husband really love all of the animals,although he lets the dogs get away with a little more than I do sometimes.

My teenage kids barely tolerate them and for the most part wish I didn't have them. But their friends like the dogs and play with them when they come over.
The cats agree w/ my kids...

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Wow that must be awkward,your kids don't like the family dogs??!! Anyway both me and husband really love all of the animals,although he lets the dogs get away with a little more than I do sometimes.
Not awkward, *kids*(DD~17-DS~almost 20) just aren't into my dogs as their own lives are busy, busy and my son lives elsewhere now.
Clover was their heart-dog growing up and when Clover passed at 14+ it was a bit hard(never had to deal w/ a pet passing).
The GSD's are my choice, my dogs, not theirs~ they have no interest in training or working with them....unfortunately! The dogs will happily comply with whatever they ask of them however.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yes... and no.

I think if my SO never met me, he wouldn't have a dog. That being said... he still loves the dogs and doesn't regret having them at all. He just doesn't enjoy them like I do. I train with them, I walk them all the time, I play with them..... he takes care of them, and plays with them here and there... but not like I do. He doesn't have the tolerance and patience like I do either.... and I think that comes from a lack of experience and knowledge on his part of owning a dog (which was slim to none before he met me).

Zira is mostly attached to him. Duke is my dog through and through. He loves my SO, but I honestly think sometimes he just... tolerates him being here. He's my training partner, and my right hand man. We definitely have a closer bond. And the puppy is all mine. I brought her here for me, she's mine to raise and train, and she's for me to learn with. My SO still helps with her here and there... but, not like the other two.

My life revolves around animals and that's normal for me (I grew up around them!).... but, that's not the same for him. You can definitely tell I have a much larger passion for them then he does. But, that's ok... he still loves them, and we enjoy our little pack. There's just definitely a difference in the intensity of which we enjoy them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nope, they all get annoyed with them. It's funny though, they always brag about them to their friends ect... like they did all the training...Um, I dont think so!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Seeing as its just Me, Myself, and I- Yes we all love Dooney girl equally- LOL. I just moved out from living with my mom/brother for 7 months and my brother asks me to bring Dooney over so he can watch her. My mom... hmmm- she offers to come over HERE to watch Dooney, she can't take the German Shedder at her house too much these days- LOL. But mom does call her her Granddaughter and my brother is "uncle"

I want to get my 2nd GSD next year before I really get seriously involved with anyone "new" Love me- Love my dogs, or get out!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Some of our dogs have picked my husband, some have picked me, some have picked the kids but all our dogs are loved by everyone. Sometimes they just get extra loves from their chosen person. We are all destroyed when they pass.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Well there is only one other person in my household, my husband, and he is as devoted to the dogs as I am. My mom and my mother in law are also really in love with our dogs. I think my mom gets more excited to see the dogs than me when she comes to visit!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts