German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering today, as I was walking Emme, do other pet owners obsess like I do, or am I just plain crazy? I swear at least 50% of my thoughts are on Emme. How she is walking, how she is eating, did she pee, did she poop, did she pee again, what is she doing in her crate, is she fit, does she need to eat more, does she need to drink more water, when will she come into heat, when will she stop going crazy, when will be able to start showing, and oh my gosh I go on and on.

And I obsess about the dumbest things I'm sure. Right now I am obsessed over if I should move her crate to the downstairs bedroom. We tried this when we first got her at 8 weeks, and tried it for a good month, with no success. She was working herself up to some real issues, so one night I let her sleep in the living room crate (just down the hall from us). She's slept there ever since, quiet as can be and HAPPY. But now she is nearing 7 months old, and at some point I DO want her to be in the downstairs bedroom. We have 4 cats, and I'd rather they are free to roam and not worry about her during the day, and if she's away in the bedroom, they have no worries. And then once she is mentally ready, she can have free roam of this bedroom, and not be crated. I feel bad she is crated 8-12, and then 1-5 every day. At least if she could be in the room she'd have more room to stretch out, look out the window, etc. My other dog (passed away in dec just before we got Em) used this room and it worked out well.

So see me obsessing? Am I ready? Is she? What if she freaks out... what if I mess something up. If I mess with this perfect system right now and screw it up...

When she visits my parents (she was there last week while I was on vacation) - she is crated in a separate bedroom quite aways from my parents, she was going in it just fine after a few days, but whining some. So I suppose she'd be OK... but maybe not!

I guess I'll just keep obsessing about this until it feels right! LOL...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You are not they only one who thinks about their pup a lot. Can the crate be moved? How about the first 4 hours the crate is in the room and then the next 4 is living room. To get her used to it. Then after a month, both 4 hours in the room.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh good idea Cheyanna! I had not thought of that option. Maybe I could try that, see how it goes.

I also obsess about our cats. We have 4... 3 avoid Em altogether, the 4th seems to not mind her but we really wish Emme wouldnt chew on his head. I wonder if I should just enforce a "NO CAT CONTACT" 100%.... then maybe we'd have better luck with the other cats, too.... but then again, I think it is a good thing when the 4th cat and Em actually really play, and chase in a healthy way... but is it good enough to trump the other cats never coming out of the bedroom unless Emme is in her crate or outside?

As it is I spend half the night following Em around the house while she follows the cat around, trying to nibble on his ears, or getting the opportunity to snag his tail or put her paw on him. Its getting old! Though it is greatly improved from the start! Before it was just chase chase chase eat eat eat. Now she follows him around a lot and hardly any eating his head but she really LOVES to do that. Everybody always says oh they will work it out, just let them work it out......

But you wouldnt let your kid go around wacking your other kid in the head would you? Nope... so we dont let them work it out. We train.... slowly.... Plus, our cats all have their claws, and I have read some horror stories, and have entirely too much invested in all my pets to let something happen!

Obsess...obsess...obsess....

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
OMG you sound like me. I'm sure you're a great mom! You just care about your pup, that's all.

I'm terrible with worrying so much. My dog isn't helping me though, because she's not got a great immune system and is constantly getting lumps, bumps, loose poop whatever.

I agree, try some different things out. My pup would FREAK when I was first leaving her in her crate, but now she's really great about it! Maybe try making her bedroom crate more special somehow. Give her a nice treat in there every time she goes in? My pup now bolts to her crate when I open the treat jar! :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
My black cat Cosmo, thinks he'll a little dog. At bed time, he wants to snuggle next to me to sleep - he's endearing and I wouldn't be the same without him - he's a sweet and loving boy!

My Siamese Lilly, she's affectionate and quiet. I don't think I've met a Siamese cat that wasn't chatty and demanding and she kind of balances things out.

Cubby, my black GSD, is so happy to always go out for a walk and she wants to run off the leash but she knows better. She loves to be kissed, cuddled and stroked. And she likes treats!

I think we do obsess over our pets to a certain extent because of their personalities and the joy they bring to our lives! Pet owners are healthier and happier and they're also more responsible. There are disadvantages to be sure but I dismiss them because on balance I get more out of it than I put into it.

And my world wouldn't be the same without my cats and dog for sure. I love them very much and I have never regretted considering them my family!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Norman! I have a kitty named Cosmo, too! Go Cosmos!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm certain I obsess over Lisl as much as anyone would a two year old child.

I researched heartworm preventative for GSD's for three hours this morning. I then called the Vet and talked to the Vet tech for 45 minutes about what they prescribe for the breed, the choices I have, and what everyone there uses for their dogs.

I asked that a blood test be performed before anything was prescribed and asked if they do a genetic test for reactions to ivermectin. She said they won't prescribe that for GSD's.

That was a very good phone call.

·
Registered
874 Posts
well let's see if you can top this.... I have moved my sleeping arrangement to the living room beside the crate...at some point I will move her crate back to my bedroom but for now I am working on her not howling when I am gone and so the crate is kind of a "safe" area I want her to get used to in the front room where there is more activity. And I obsess about her food..amount...kind...poop etc!!! I am worse than I was with either of my kids

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lyssa and Michael, that makes me feel better! Oh the hours I've spent researching everything!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I do that with pretty much everything I'm interested in or care about.

I like to be informed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes. Every day: I hope the dog isn't bored, I hope the cats aren't bored, what should I feed the dog when I get home, what about tomorrow, I hope it's not too hot inside the house, where should I walk him when I get home, does he need new toys, should I get the cats new toys... It goes on and on and on lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
wow, obsessing, is that what that is called when you think about
and worry about your dog all of the time. i feel better now. now
i know there's a name for how i feel and i'm not alone in my feelings. :crazy:

·
Registered
874 Posts
LOL my kids are both grown now..but the still live here at home and tell me everyday ..."mom stop buying her a toy every time you are out". LOL I think they are a bit jealous ;)

I just hope the neighbors don't see me out in the yard inspecting every poop she takes. And calling home when I am gone to make sure she's ok.

I am sure my friends and family think I have totally lost it

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hee hee! poop inspecting....indeed! I am always inspecting....reporting to my boyfriend. I'm sure he thinks I've gone mad.

Personally can't find anybody will to listen to me fully! That's why I love this board....lots of people obsessing.

On a side note, I've really become an admirer of a well behaved GSD after hanging out here. What amazing dogs!

Today we have a four hour road trip, the a visit to my brothers family. My pup has never met their two older dogs, so I will have plenty of time to figure out how to deal with it! Em gets a little out of control and somehow her play antics are too aggressive-looking so nobody likes her! And then the kids....

·
Registered
874 Posts
good luck with your visit. I had an interesting one last night that ended on a high note. My bff's yard connects with mine ( we live in the same housing addition)...she has relatives staying and they all walked over to see Roxy. I was outside walking her and saw the parade of people..so I hurried up and sat in the grass with her ..she did try to bolt to the house a couple of times but I held onto her. When they all walked up slowly and let her do the introductions ..we had a great visit. That was her first real GROUP of people and included yet another 5 year old...who she immediately took to...luckily that little girls mom has always had big dogs so she knows how to approach dogs. In fact her and the little girl played so much that I got to sleep until 7am. WOOT !!! go us!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'm sitting here realizing that I am not crazy. I inspect my dog's poop, worry about whether she is getting too much to eat or not enough to eat. I buy her toys. I take her places. I worry about her when I have to work in Key West on Fridays, even though my husband comes home to let her out. I obsess over whether a new bump I found is important and watch to see if it changes in size or disappears. I even spent an extra $500 to rent a van when I went on a trip so she would be comfortable and I wouldn't have to leave her home (cause I wasn't going if she couldn't come). Us GSD owners can be a crazy lot but we love our dogs for sure. Glad to see I'm not alone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone else worry about where to walk thier dog that the dog will prefer cos the walk is realy the dogs special time and do they prefer variety or going to the same places ,playing with thier friends or us or just sniffing around. I try to do three long walks a day ,to different places,one walk with swiming,one with friends and one with his brother(who belongs to my mum).If only i knew which he preferd we could do that all the time.lol

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Does anyone else worry about where to walk thier dog that the dog will prefer cos the walk is realy the dogs special time and do they prefer variety or going to the same places ,playing with thier friends or us or just sniffing around. I try to do three long walks a day ,to different places,one walk with swiming,one with friends and one with his brother(who belongs to my mum).If only i knew which he preferd we could do that all the time.lol
I think they enjoy variety on the walks. We do the same walk every morning to the post office to get the mail and I have her heel on the way there and let her walk loose leash and sniff on the way back. The evening walks vary - we go different places and do different things. The middle of the day is just some time in the yard for her as I have to work, but I work at home so she can come in or go out - whichever she wants. I bet my dog would love your schedule though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts