German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some posts on here lately where people think just because they have two pure bred GSDs that they love they have the right to breed them...also even two mutts. So without attacking any individuals on whats already happened I'd like to hear both sides reasoning as to what dogs should be bred or not bred.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
You seem to have already stated your position in your post...Do I think that people should have a criteria when they breed dogs ...yes...but it is also really tiring to read posts from people who are telling other people what they should do...sometimes accidents happen or whatever I don't know

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
It's my belief that even if they are going to spay/neuter everybody and keep them and can afford them, they still should not be bred until health tests are done. If they're keeping all puppies and don't care for them to be titled.. well..

If they want to sell, I think they should be titled and tested, and be good representations of the breed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For me, the big issue on this topic is the shelter situation. Every life is so dearly important, yet so many get killed every day as a result of human negligence and ignorance. One persons mistake isn't another person's problem, sure, but I can't help but feel that the first option should always be to rescue a dog that already exists, and needs a home to love it.

That said, the working quality or temperment of these abandoned dogs is sometimes not appropriate to what a dog owner would like to do, activity/sport-wise. This is a good reason to breed two proven animals, in the seeking of a particular trait in a dog. Or, for the guarentee of lifelong support from a quality breeder. It's my opinin that offering these things to a buyer (or to family members, if the goal is to provide animals to people you love) are good reasons to breed. Sometimes things just happen, sure, but as dog owners, who are completely responsible for the health and happyness of our animals, and as responsible adults who have a love for dogs, of whatever breed, reducing the number who suffer and get killed, scared and sad, should be a constant concern, especially when deciding whether or not to bring more into the world.

I don't really want to argue, as I know this is something everyone will have their own passionate feelings about, I just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Does every dog owner have the right to breed? Yes, this is still a free country. Should they? No. I don't believe in forcing my beliefs in breeding on others (except my puppy owners), but I also do not support those whose breeding practices do not meet my own standards. I execute my rights by not buying what they are producing.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I don't want to get into "rights" but how about responsibilities? if the person does have a litter of puppies, I do think that they need to step up and insure that the pups are vetted, find good homes, offer support to the new owners and step in if the pup needs to be re-homed.

I know that a lot of people get into the "all my friends want one" mode and decide to breed. Then, when the pups are weaned, suddenly all those homes disappear. Too many times, the breeder then just dumps them off at the pound because they can't find homes for them and now they are eating too much and pooping too much and making too much noise. Too bad, you made the decision to have these pups, now it's your responsibility, not something to be dumped off on someone else..

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You seem to have already stated your position in your post...Do I think that people should have a criteria when they breed dogs ...yes...but it is also really tiring to read posts from people who are telling other people what they should do...sometimes accidents happen or whatever I don't know
I don't think people are meaning to sound like that, I think they are trying educate people of the problems caused by irresponisble breeding

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
what Lisa ^^^said:)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
For me, the big issue on this topic is the shelter situation. Every life is so dearly important, yet so many get killed every day as a result of human negligence and ignorance. One persons mistake isn't another person's problem, sure, but I can't help but feel that the first option should always be to rescue a dog that already exists, and needs a home to love it.
That is my main problem with everyone breeding more puppies just cause they can. My second problem is all the genetic issues in dogs, both mixed AND purebred. So without at least a basic interest in genetics and the backgrounds of both potential parent dogs........ the health and temperment of the puppies can be a big question that's not answered sometimes until years down the line.

If our shelters were empty and dogs no longer being killed by the thousands every day in the USA. And if people had at least a basic interest and concern about the genetic issues in their dogs and how to try to get rid of them in future puppies.......... then I'd be much more on board with people breeding their dogs.

I think it's the word 'responsible' that I find missing in many people who just want to breed their dogs. Responsible for health/temperment. Responsible for any puppies they ever breed for the entire lives of those dogs... to assure they don't end up in shelters (or even the puppies of these puppies, and so on and so on).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had just composed a beautiful dissertation on this topic and then my wireless "burped" and I lost it. Oh well, it was too wordy anyway.

In short, I think that breeders that do it for the love of the breed, or the individual dog and are trying to get another just like the 1st, are fine. AS LONG as they have responsible, loving and COMMITTED homes lined up prior to breeding. The market is flooded with too many puppies and dogs from irresponsible breeders and this ruins the odds of a shelter dog getting a chance at a life and a loving home. Shelter dogs make the best pets if frivolous people could just get past the looks. My 1st shelter dog, Spud, is a basset-pitt mix and is the oddest little piglet of a dog you'll ever see. But he is the coolest dog on the planet. Kai is a close second, but no one would adopt her because 1) some moron thought she was part wolf (no she is not) and 2) she was so mis-behaved and uncontrollable. She is a beautiful dog and probably came from a puppy mill and was originally purchased for looks.

Money does not a responsible dog owner make, so charging thousands for a pup does not guarantee a loving home for the animal. Money breeders ruin the chances of adoption for the dogs already in shelters and the puppies they sell to anyone willing to write them a check will likely become the next pretty pooch in the pound.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Get rid of the millers, first, IMO. That is one business that I just don't understand~ why they are still allowed to treat the animals the way they do.
Shelters wouldn't be so overwhelmed if the millers were extinct.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I feel it is wrong to breed your dogs just because you can.

It breaks my heart when I go to shelters and see all of those dogs wagging their tails when they see someone walk by. Wanting to save them all and knowing that you cant is one of the hardest things for me.

If it's an accident, well I hope they learn their lesson and find those puppies a good home. If it's not an accident then, :angryfire:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think the one thing people are forgetting is this is the internet and people are posting their decisions or potential decisions here. It is a forum in which people give advice the best way they know how. If the best way they know how is to
vehemently discourage someone from breeding their unregisterd, hip dysplasic dog just to get one puppy, then so be it.

Once you pose a question or an opinion on a public internet forum you lose your right to protest about what will come after if the person doesn't think you're ethical, correct, just, saavy, etc.

These people who are anti-irresponsible breeders are not going through the newspaper and showing up on people's doorsteps lecturing them about their irresponsibility. They are responding to something via the www that people put out there at their own risk.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
No Way! Not anyone who has a dog. Only to better our breed for the future, by someone who knows and has what it takes.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Only if you(as in general) are responsible and do your homework when it comes to the amount of time, money, and energy it takes to breed a healthy litter. Breeders should be breeding to better a breed.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMO what should never be bred is..

a rescue/adopted dog, an unregistered dog, a dog that hasn't been health tested and more importantly had excellent results, a dog that has not yet been proven (working/showing etc..), a dog with poor temperment according to the breed standard, a dog that physically does not meet the breed standard

even if your dogs meet the above reasons I gave YOU should not breed them if..

you are not willing to keep the puppies if suitable homes cannot be found, you will not take puppies back even if they have severe health/temperment issues, you have not thoroughly screened future puppy buyers, you are not prepared for properly raising and caring for a new litter, you are not prepared for the risk to your own dogs during breeding and welping, you cannot financially provide for the care of the dogs and new litters should there be unforseen circumstances, you do not have knowledge of bloodlines and genetics...

drawing blanks now

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Like so many questions....just because you can does not mean you should. I have three rescues, one in particular who is clearly of AWFUL breeding. Lord knows what the circumstances were. It would be nice if every dog could get a good home, but until then, it would be nice to see fewer of them all being brought into the world.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Do they have the right? Yes. Dogs are property and so long as they're receiving adequate food, shelter, medical care, etc you have the right to do what you want with them. Should it happen? Nope.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts