German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the breeders, who are actually friends of ours so we can visit often, the puppy that my daughter keeps gravitating towards (and the one that gravitates towards her as well) is nicknamed Tank. Yeah, he's a big guy. The breeder says he eats the most and he is the most husky looking (as in looking big boned). Does that mean he'll end up as a really big adult? What are your experiences with that, as in did your puppies size predict adult size?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
How big are his parents? That's usually a pretty good indicator of how big they'll be.
What's not to love about a puppy called Tank? Sounds like a movie waiting to happen.:)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
In Zoe's litter there was one male they called Thor- he was the biggest, ate the most next to mine, and was the biggest boned. He is now the second smallest male of all of them though my Zoe is still the biggest female. However, until 6 weeks the one female fattyfat was the biggest and now she is the smallest. Wait until 8 weeks:)

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The answer is no - relative puppy size does not necessarily indicate adult size. A small puppy can catch up to his siblings and outgrow them, a large puppy may top out at a relatively smaller adult size.

·
Registered
27,316 Posts
Along with what Lucia posted, the pup may not end up anywhere near the parents size either.
My pups parents are both well within the standard and Karlo is much larger than either of them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not sure how big the puppy is, just that he's bigger than all the rest. The mom looks about 70 lbs (but I'm not really good at that so I'll ask). Never met the dad. I'll have to ask how big he is. I think the puppies vet visit was Friday but our friend was really sick so we haven't bothered her in the last few days. She had said last weekend that they would be ready to go to their new homes in a week in a half to 2 weeks. I'll let you know his weight when I find out. He's soooooo cute!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so just visited our new puppy. He is 6 weeks old and 9 lbs. His mom is 84 lbs if I remember right, and dad is 95 lbs. He is a chow hound. When they brought him in the house from the puppy room he sniffed out both dog bowls right away and was into the food. He's one chub a lub.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok, so just visited our new puppy. He is 6 weeks old and 9 lbs. His mom is 84 lbs if I remember right, and dad is 95 lbs. He is a chow hound. When they brought him in the house from the puppy room he sniffed out both dog bowls right away and was into the food. He's one chub a lub.
Need pics SarahSmith!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next time we visit we'll take pics. Our friends are in no hurry to have pups go, but do believe 6 weeks is not too young. I'm reading at least 7 or 8 weeks because of socialization. However, we could visit a couple times a week for him to play with the other pups and his mom and older sister. We are actually building a house right next to theirs so could even visit everyday if needed. I had no idea how old they were and we told my daughter we would be taking him home this weekend. Because we could visit so often I'm not worried about socialization, but my heart will melt if he cries.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Six weeks is too young, 8 weeks is the youngest age they should come home. It's great that you can visit so often- mine were a little over an hour away and I still visited them almost weekly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts