German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking of adding DLPA to my 14 yr. old's supplements for arthritis pain. Probably start at 250mg 2x day. Does anyone use it? How are the results?

I've read that it may be more beneficial given on an empty stomach or between meals. Has anyone found this to be the case?

Thanks for the info!
Shelli

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
This is so weird, but I JUST read about this on dogaware.com and wondered the same thing.
Right now I am using Zeel and Traumeel tablets. Good stuff. Completely safe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are the results with Traumeel?

I need to try something new because his standard complement of arthritis supplements is doing enough for his pain. I'm only looking into natural pain relief. I also came across Yucca, perhaps this is also something to look into.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What are you giving currently?

Zeel is for arthritis and Traumeel is for trauma but I would give one or the other. I don't think you'd get much from using both.

Only Natural Pet makes a good anti-inflammatory called "Get Up and Go." I give Rafi that at night and he also gets:

Ester C
Longevity
Fish Oil capsules
Tumeric
Connectin

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I did use DLPA for my previous dog for arthritis and some persistent limping she had after a bone biopsy. I had her and my other senior on several other supplements as well- Syn-flex, Duralactin, fish oil, the combination seemed to work quite well with it. My holistic vet recommended the DLPA.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I don't give Traumeel that much, as it's for soft tissue injuries. I used it myself after having tennis elbow for months. I used Traumeel tablets and cream and it was gone in three days.

I really think the Zeel is working. I give Rudy three in the morning, three in the afternoon. I am going to start him on accupuncture soon, as well.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Rudy's nutritionist recommends Dog Gone Pain. He can't take it, though. He is on a blood thinner and DGP has feverfew in it (thins blood).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops,, just read my last post and I meant to say that his current supplements are NOT working enough....:confused:

For arthritis/joint issues, he currently gets fish oil, turmeric, Synflex, Ester C, MSM, Vit E, 2x month Adequan, as well as acupuncture. All these have worked well for him so far, but given his age and back end weakness, he's developed persistent limping in his front leg and that indicates to me we need to address pain.

I picked up some DLPA, 500 mg capsules. I was planning on starting at 250 mg 2x day, see how it goes, and if successful, cut back the dosage to maintenance. For those that have used it, what was your dosage? Did you see better results on an "empty" stomach as is recommended? As far as I know, he's never had high blood pressure which may be a concern if using DLPA.

I'll look into some of the supplements that were suggested. I picked up some Yucca capsules years ago, but for some reason decided not to use it. Maybe it had some side effects if given long term. The Yucca Intensive drops seems to get good reviews online.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
My dog is on a full array of supplements as well. But the one thing (besides Adequan) that I have seen him make an improvement on is Microlactin (milk protein). It's a natural anti inflammatory

There is a dog version called Duralactin, but it's the same thing just flavored and costs 2-3x as much.

I get it from Swanson's Vitamins.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, the DLPA seems to have relatively no side effects from what I read. Has anyone experienced anything unusual while on it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My GSD had a phenomenally positive response to boswellia serrata (aka frankincense...yes, the same frankincense used in Bible times.) I buy it from Vitacost dot com. For my dog, it took 10 days of 4 pills/day to begin to see results. Kendra had been taking high doses of gabapentin (300 mg/day) PLUS tramadol (an opioid) up to three times a day...and STILL she was panting despite lowered temperatures, which is a sure sign of pain for her. Now she only takes the gabapentin and her respiration is 22 bpm (completely normal); she still lopes after deer now and then, and is clearly more mobile. She is 13.

Boswellia was not an option for my Australian cattle dog who gets heartburn easily; but I found that he was able to tolerate a powerful extract of boswellia called 5-loxin just fine, which comes in a small capsule. He showed results from 5-loxin -- just one a day! -- in 4 days. He too was able to stop taking any tramadol.

It's good stuff, and cheap, and safe to take along with prescription meds if necessary. It's safe enough that dosing need not be exact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DLPA should not be taken with SSRI's

Just a footnote for anyone considering DLPA....WDJ reports that it should not be taken with SSRIs (e.g., prozac). Boswellia is fine taken with SSRIs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts