German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Re: Does anyone use a handler training vest?

I have a nylon training vest. It has so many pockets and is so useful I don't know how I did without it. I have had it so many years I can't remember where I got it, but it speaks to its durability!

Next, would like to have a lightweight one for warmer weather as it gets a bit warm in the nylon!!

·
Registered
27,366 Posts

I have a Gappay from Hallmark k9. I bought a medium and it is a bit big, but fits over winter gear. I think I should have gotten a small in hindsight. But when I add two tugs and or a ball, the medium is better.
There was a discussion at the club yesterday about fishing vests and pockets. Gappay has the slide in side pocket and most fishing vests, you have to reach from the top for the treat or ball. Everyone agreed side/slide is easier for the dog to correctly position themself, as you are paying them.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I got the Gappy drop vest

If you keep your eyes open you will see people selling them cheaper. I know I have snatched up some good deals. I do feel they tend to run a little large. What is nice is the ball drop is removable so when you do not want it you can easily take it out. I am currently using it without so that was a big plus. I am hard on clothes and so far this vest still looks great and has been through the wash several times and have has been jumped on a lot and so far has not torn (huge plus!). Could I live without the vest - yes - I was fine without it before but it has been super nice to have - plenty of room for tugs, balls, leashes, etc. I do not regret getting it at all and so far it has been holding up to my abuse.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

I would like one but cannot justify the cost. I found a nice all-season jacket on clearance and it has big pockets and breast pockets large enough for my reward toy. Or I just hold my toy in my armpit or left hand.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

I have the gappay drop vest as well. Love it.

·
Registered
431 Posts

I have the Elite K-9 vest. I found it was better priced than some others and quality is just as good as the other vests I've seen people using a club, etc. I LOVE it. I don't even know how I got on without it before. I'm way too clutzy to juggle all the stuff I was carrying around, this makes it easy. The treat pouch is also removable which I like. It was so nice to have in my last obedience class where I was frequently switching between treats and toys.

http://www.elitek9.com/Clothing/index.htm

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

I have a nice jacket that I use - has HUGE pockets and they are accessible plus it is super warm for those chilly winter days and nights.

I also use a training treat bag that attaches to my hips. It's large and has a place to clip the leash and to hold the leash when not in use or if you want to work "hands free".

I love it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use mine occasionally. It helped me when I used a lot of treats for reward. I use mostly tug now so I dont use it as much. But I hated how the little treat pouches hook on to your belt and get in my way and with the vest you dont have to worry about the pouch come off or being too bulky on your hip. I purchased my from Elite k9 and found their prices to be very reasonable and high quality.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I like the Gappay vests but can't justify it. I already wear jackets with big side pockets (I'm always cold) and even then, I usually just have the ball in my left hand or in an armpit. I feel like if I bought one now, I'd have to re-train myself to actually use it. However, I really only use a ball for a reward so I don't need more than one hand, armpit, or pocket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.