German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 8 month old puppy Geno got fixed 2 weeks ago. A day or 2 later he had red bumps that look like hives down by his groin. I called the vet. They said that it was just an irritation from the surgery, it will go away on it's own. I am wondering if that is the case now because he still has it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Looks to me like it could be irritated where the hair was clipped or shaved pre-surgery... but I'm just a dog owner..not a vet

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Why at 8 months?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
If the vet used dissolve able stitches? But that would be a strange place for them to show up unless he had a retained testicle. Is the "irritation" decreasing or changing in any way? It does seem like it is an after effect, maybe a shaver burn?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Looks to me like it could be irritated where the hair was clipped or shaved pre-surgery... but I'm just a dog owner..not a vet

Also......Having your pup wear a "cone" is a good thing after surgery because some dogs will constantly lick the area which in the end helps to keep it irritated

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I agree with GypsyGhost. I'm concerned about staph. Hopefully it's not, but get it cultured ASAP -- staph can spread to people, and antibiotic-resistant staph is real, so it has to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Looks like when Deja had a Staph infection. Any scratch coming into contact with Staph can cause it, so even a short shave. The vet gave me a spray for her and it cleared it up instantly.
By the way, comments about early neutering will only be effective to help owners decide whether to neuter or not. It is after the fact here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts