German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it is allowed to take your dog to Niagara Falls? We are wanting to take a trip up there, since I've never been, but I'm not keen on leaving my girls for a week.....Anyone know? Thanks!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Not sure what you're asking? You can definitely stand down at the falls with your dogs. It is insanely crowded though so your dogs may not enjoy it! And I have no idea about finding pet friendly hotels but I'm sure there are some.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is what I found... sorry for not looking better to find my answers, but thanks.
Pets in Niagara Parks

Niagara Parks has posted "no dogs allowed" signs at the children’s play area at Kingsbridge Park, Old Fort Erie, Dufferin Islands Nature Area and Queenston Heights Park. These are preserved historic areas and sensitive environments containing bird and wildlife nesting grounds and protected plant species.

In the remaining parklands on Niagara Parks property, animals are allowed only if they are kept under the owner’s immediate control at all times on a leash. Any cat, dog or other animal is not permitted to be within a designated public swimming area. Animals are not allowed to be taken in any building, attraction or ride, even if they are small enough to be carried in arms. These restrictions do not apply to working dogs (Guide dogs).

While at Niagara Parks, visitors are respectfully asked to "Take Only Photographs, Leave Only Footprints" - therefore pet owners are asked to "stoop & scoop" to clean up after their pets.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowNot sure what you're asking? You can definitely stand down at the falls with your dogs. It is insanely crowded though so your dogs may not enjoy it! And I have no idea about finding pet friendly hotels but I'm sure there are some.
Thanks, I'm not sure if they would like it or not either, so maybe by next Spring, they will be calm enough to go with us if we really work hard on socializing and behavior training.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Are you planning on going to the American side or the Canadian side?? I have been to the Canadian side MANY times and I do not recall seeing any dogs. That's not to say that you couldn't walk down the street adjacent to the falls with your dog on leash. I just don't know.

I'm sure you'll find all kinds of info on the Niagara Falls Ontario Canada web site. I suspect that in order to go into Canada that you will need all kinds of documentation on the dog's health records etc.

Having been there at least once a year over the past 15 years or so in some rather unusual circumstances (especially since 9/11) all I can say is DO YOUR HOMEWORK. The Canadians can be very tough if you don't meet the criteria for entering their country. Also keep in mind that I think as of 2009 you will need a passport.

Good luck - it's an awesome experience.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
We were at the Falls in 01 and it was WAY to crowded for it to be any fun for the dogs or us. Thankfully we left the girls at my grandmothers (we knew there would be fireworks). But I just know the dogs would have been too crowded and I would have been worrying about them being stepped on or grabbed or having to deal with too much other stupid humanness around animals to actually enjoy the trip myself.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree I think it depends what side you are going on.

To cross the border all you need is an up to date Rabies.

And we have pet friendly hotels as well.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are planning to see both sides, we have some friends in Canada with whom we are going to visit, so we don't really need a hotel, we have that taken care of. Maybe it would be best to maybe leave the dogs at a kennel somewhere close while we visit the falls and then pick them up after the visit, then take them back to our friends place (they have a guest house and are ok with the dogs staying in the house with us). that way the Girl's don't have to be frightened by the crowds of people?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts