German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a lady and her husband who used to live pretty close to me who raised feeder rabbits, goats, and other critters to feed to their Irish Setters. Does anyone up here raise feeders for their dogs or maybe even hunt wild game? I don't do either one of the two.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I don't currently, but I plan on it once the house is built. It won't be just for the dogs-- we'll be raising livestock to feed both us and them... sheep, ducks, chickens, and cattle.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't but plan to raise rabbits and chickens when we are in the country. My boyfriend hunts so my dogs get venison, duck and goose at certain times of the year.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
There was a lady and her husband who used to live pretty close to me who raised feeder rabbits, goats, and other critters to feed to their Irish Setters. Does anyone up here raise feeders for their dogs or maybe even hunt wild game? I don't do either one of the two.
I "think" this might (?) be "Lauri & The Gang" from this blog who does this.
Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Yep, that's me. I used to raise meat rabbits for the dogs and us. Right now I travel for work and leaving the DH with 7 dogs, 3 cats, 4 rats (and babies) is more than enough for him! :) Once I'm back to a regular job I will be raising them again.

I would suggest to anyone that is interested in doing this - find someone that does it now and ask if you can come watch them butcher. You'll end up with a farm full of pets if you find out AFTER the fact that you just can't handle it.

Having someone else do the butchering is not cost effective on a small scale.

Rabbits are the easiest to raise, butcher and process. Chickens - I'd have to have a plucking machine to raise those for eating but for eggs they are great. Any larger animals require lots of room.

Some day I will raise miniature beef cattle for us and the dogs!! Ok, mainly for US! YUMMM!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts