German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned in other posts that I just rescued a 9 month old tripod yesterday. This is a first for me. I just could not leave her in that awful situation she was in so...I think she's better off with me. Even if it's only until I can get her healthy and adopted out.

However, in the mean time...I put down extra area rugs for her. (I have hardwood floors). I know to keep her weight down. Is there anything else she may need...like a certain supplement for joints since she only has 1 remaining leg? It's her right rear leg that was taken off. Her remaining leg seems to be doing OK. She's a little wobbly. Her surgery was 2 months ago.

PS She has horrible - HORRIBLE tummy issues. I'm trying to figure out if it was just a lack of quality food or if she's allergic to something. Right now I have her on just plain rice and chicken I made to help bind her up a little.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
She's adorable! There's actually a Tripod dog website that I hear is good: Tripawds Blogs Community Canine Cancer Dog Amputation Recovery Tips Help Advice Information I don't think it has to be cancer related.

Keeping Your Three-Legged Dog Healthy | The Bark

Canine Amputation - Tripod Dog

The rescue I volunteer with has had some tripods - some that have gotten prosthetic and some that have not had the amputation in the right place for one. Special-Needs-Success-Page The fosters of those dogs didn't do a ton different that I know of, but the only partial legged dog I fostered had 3.75 legs and we were concerned only with her GI system while I had her. We are pretty big about healthy weight so that helps like you've said. I bet a low dose of joint supplement ongoing for life would be helpful? I have a young dog on one, and another that's been on since he was 10 months old. Both have 1 mild hip (x-rayed at time of neuter so no causative effect there unless it's instantaneous ;)).

I would probably look into a rehab type place - I am sure you have some there with the sport dog. TheraVet - Rochester Rehab, Equine and Canine Health Care gives you an idea of some of the services, and their links page might be able to help.

I am sure she is better off with you Linda! :D

With her GI issues - some GSDs don't seem to tolerate chicken for whatever reason. I have found that adding pumpkin to 1 dog's meal not only helps their poop, but you can find their poop in the group of poop more easily. :) Like you said, doing some elimination - simple bland diet, will help. If she was in a bad place it is very likely she has worms and parasites. A fecal check may be able to help you pinpoint that.

A probiotic type thing wouldn't hurt most likely. You don't have to spend a lot, or buy the vet kind either.

If it persists, then you would want to start reading at Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency but hopefully it's just a result of her bad beginning and it will straighten itself out. Thank you for helping this girl.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
With the food issues...do you know what she was eating before? If she wasn't being taken care of who knows what she was eating. Maybe putting her on a good food will take care of it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the help and the links. She was on Royal Canin. I only feed my guys Solid Gold dry, Solid Gold canned and Solid Gold Seameal. I plan on taking her to the vet for an exam and fecal testing. This poor thing has been through so much in her short life...and she has a great spirit still! She wants so badly to play with my big guys but...they play rough. I am being very careful. She is so danity. She ran into my leg three times already, cried and tipped over. :-( Poor thing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts