German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first german shepherd puppy and have messaged a few breeders. I finally got a response from one of them in Michigan, Tower Farms German Shepherd Dogs. I was only able to find one of the parents OFA score, he scored excellent for hips but I don't think her other dog was OFA tested. I am new to all of this, is there anything else I should be looking for. I asked about temperament and was told training plays an big role with that.
I also came across another breeder, Anita Clouse, from Illinois, but her dog scored fair for hips. How important are these scores?
I found both on Marketplace.akc.org

·
Premium Member
18,687 Posts
I would want to know the hips cores on both parents (OFA, 'a' stamp from Germany or other European scores, Pennhip)/ Fair is still passing. When breeding we look at the depth and breadth of pedigree so a fair from a litter of a bunch of goods and excellent or normal and from a long line of goods/excellents/normals would not worry me much where as an excellent from a litter of not passing or a pedigree that is missing a lot of ratings would.

Temperament is genetics influenced by training. You might be able to help a dog with a bad temperament or weak nerves function in life they will never be as strong or reliable as a dog born with very good or excellent temperament and nerves.

I have heard of neither breeder.

In MI, you should check out Wildhaus kennels.
(Wildhaus Kennels, Working German Shepherd Breeder in Michigan)

or

Aus Gerstbrei
https://www.facebook.com/gerstbrei/

I know both of their dogs well and both trial, temperament and health test their dogs.

·
Registered
723 Posts
A person advertising in the AKC Marketplace may or may not be a good breeder. The only requirement to advertise there is that they not have their AKC privileges suspended or revoked.

I'd for sure want to know the results of health testing, as well as what they do with their dogs besides breed them (showing, bite sports, actual working dogs, etc.).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts