German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've decided to keep Lugar and even though he will bond with other people within a household, he definitely picks 'his person' ( which is me) and prefers me over my husband. He will listen to others if he has to, but can't wait to get it over with.

Does anyone else have a dog like this?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My old BC/GSD mix was a one person dog. She switched alliances when my dad was sick. She glued herself to his hip and stayed there till dad passed. She kept him warm while his body was shutting down. It's the small things sometimes that mean the most eh?

Banjo liked other folks, but never really relaxed when in the presence of others. I'm the only one that saw his super-goofy cuddlebug side. Fine by me really. My dog, his human.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
We've decided to keep Lugar and even though he will bond with other people within a household, he definitely picks 'his person' ( which is me) and prefers me over my husband. He will listen to others if he has to, but can't wait to get it over with.

Does anyone else have a dog like this?
Yes. My husband often says that Jax is a different dog when I"m not around. This morning my DD was telling her to sit. I came into the room, told her to sit and she came over to me and sat.

Sierra is like that with my husband. Chaos would love anyone as long as there is food in their hand. Banshee is a free spirit and adores my son.

So I would say ALL breeds will do this. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Corey is to some degree. She loves EVERYONE. Literally, she can meet someone once and they are her very best friend in the world after that. But while she loves people, she doesn't like me to leave her with anyone. And it's almost impossible for anyone to make her listen (unless they have a treat, then whe'll pay attention). It's pretty perfect considering she's a service dog and needs to be more attached to me, but I know it also drives my roommate a little nuts that Corey adores her, but if she tells Corey to do something, the dog just looks at her like "You're not my Mom."

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yep. There are three beings in this world: Jack, Lillian (the dog who gets between Jack and me), and Me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Border Terrier whose live revolves around me and me alone. She doesn't see my husband or kids and isn't very fond of our GSD. She spends all day long waiting for me to go do something with her.

It's why I decided not to get another one. My GSD looks up to me the most but she also enjoys playing with the kids and runs up to my husband for attention. She's a lot more family oriented. Being a mom, it's nice if the dog can get company from other family members since I have to split my attention between everyone in the family.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do! My Boxer, Gabby, will not listen to anyone besides me, haha. She's always by me, won't leave my side when I'm home, and when she sees me leave, my parents tell me she won't leave the door. She loves my little sister of course, but I only have to say the first part of her name and she's suddenly right there.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My male Cairn Terrier is a one person dog, the sun rises and sets on my head, he is my constant shadow and as far as he's concerned the rest of the people in the world don't exist. When he goes to the groomer I have to pick him up and hand him to them or he will attack them, and when he's in the cage they say his head is pressed into the corner the whole time trying to see if he can catch sight of me, and oh man, when I return to get him he lays into me barking and growling and grabbing my feet to let me know just how pissed off he is! He makes the whole shop come out and watch and they laugh hysterically. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
My girl is definitely a daddy only little girl. She will grudgingly do what her momma tells her but she prefers me over her anytime. It is almost like she comes to me and asks if she has to do what mom says. If she can avoid doing it for mom she does, she doesn't even hesitate when I ask her to do the same thing so yup there is definitely one person dogs just like one person people. The key is to make the dog understand that the other human is also a pack leader and must be paid equal attention to at all times. We are currently struggling with this issue, but she is getting better at it everyday. It just takes repetition and practice to set it in their minds how it is going to be.

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Cafall is from Czech lines and definitely has the suspicion to go with it. He is obscenely obvious about the fact that he is my dog. I am the only one he will allow to pet him for any length of time. Sometimes he will adjust his walking pattern to avoid making physical contact with other family members. He def likes his space around others, with me though he just can't get close enough. lol.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yep! All 3 of mine.

Zira's human is my SO. She could care less about me. She listens because she knows she has to, but in the end she really doesn't care about all the bonding stuff or showing enthusiasm to work with me. My SO.... that's another story.. Since day 1 this dog's life revolves around him.

Duke's human is me. He adores us both, but will not really listen to my SO if he knows he doesn't have to. He'll look to me first as if to ask "do I listen to that?".... Once I say it... he does it. Drives me SO crazy...

Storm's human is definitely me! She adores me, wants to be all over me, and listens to me very very well. My SO.... not at all! She gives him the bird constantly. I've given them some "bonding games" to help work on this..... since he does need SOME respect (completely his fault it's not there... since she's "my working dog" I guess he thought he just didn't have to do anything with her... he also felt like he was going to "ruin" her... ugh) Anyway.... she's warming up to him, but she will definitely always be MY dog in her head.

However, we treat them all as 'ours', and try to have a bond with everyone equally. The dogs definitely choose on their own though.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Sage is absolutely my dog. She is just crazy about me, and the feeling is mutual. If I am with her, she doesn't listen to anyone else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts