German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has any ever fed dehydrated ( dried) chicken feet? I picked up a bag. I have a 13 week old puppy. I got them for the glucosmine content. Not sure if her stomach can handle the bones yet, or if she should even eat them because they are dried at all.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
We just picked some up, will be the first time. I was going to trim the nails, but i guess I won't bother, lol

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I feed them a few times a week. I want to try dehydrating some at home in the future.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
They take awhile to dehydrate. I now trim the nails....not because I feel the need but because they freak my customers out. Gus eats his whole, nails and all.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
They take awhile to dehydrate. I now trim the nails....not because I feel the need but because they freak my customers out. Gus eats his whole, nails and all.

How long to dehydrate roughly?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Ugh chicken feed.... my father actually eats those in his chicken soup... it's disgusting, but he loves them.

I tried clipping off the toe nails and feeding it to lucy and she wanted no part of it. I really don't blame her though.
Omg gross. Now that I have own chickens, I see what they walk around in and there is no way because I can't help think that chicken poop must be embedded in their feet. No way I could eat that. Dogs love gross things though :)

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
All 4 of ours ate them up last night and came looking for more. Ollie wanted out for a pt break earlier than normal (4am), but no problems otherwise.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
When I had Varik in his puppy class, as a graduation present the instructor gave each puppy a little gift bag of baked chicken feet. She may have sprinkled them with something, I can't remember. It made them crunchy treats. Varik LOVED them. I just feed them raw when I can find them, but haven't been able to find them in a lonnnng time here locally.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There is a chicken factory just round the corner here from the office... I wonder if they will give me chicken feet for a cheaper rate... I don't think I've ever seen them in the shops here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Supermarket. Or better, an "ethnic" market. They are completely raw, in the meat section with the other human-grade meats.
I purchase at an Asian Market. They are fresh, clean for human consumption. I then freeze them and feed two a day. You can monitor how much is too much, if their stool is white and chalky, you are feeding to much bone and just cut back the amount you feed. I feed duck and chicken feet two a day for 65 lb dogs

21 - 34 of 34 Posts