German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sick: If so do you clip their nails before you feed your dog the feet? Also, how many are you giving if you were to give them as a nutritional supplement for the glucosamine. Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ha I am probably better qualified than anyone to comment given they are a staple part of 99.9% of the populations diet where I live ! I started giving karma chicken feet as treats when she was 10 weeks old ( 3 weeks ago ). I don't trim nails or anything . Here they cost about 80c for 6 in a nice supermarket . She eats them in about 10-15 mins and always comes back for a second ! The bones in the feet are tiny and easily digestable and I have fed her dozens.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Welll......not intentionally.

We "used to" have chickens. DH thought he'd like them to "free Range" Ya right we have 10 german shepherds:cry:

Sooo....I have discovered they eat EVERY BIT of the chicken...there is NOTHING left...they consume feet and all! Talk about a raw diet!

Never a problem with eating the feet...except now I have to buy my fresh eggs because we have no more chickens!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I give mine chicken feet when I can get them. Nails and all!! If they can eat bones, they sure can eat a few bird toe-nails.

When I can get chicken feet, they come in a big tub that I keep in the freezer, and they get their chicken feet treats frozen for some extra crunch. They go nuts over them!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My dogs love them as a treat, nails and all. They last five seconds.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
When I did raw, I used to get chicken feet as treats. I gave them nails and all, and never had any trouble with them. I'd give one or two at a time as a treat, couple of times a week.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Ugh chicken feed.... my father actually eats those in his chicken soup... it's disgusting, but he loves them.

I tried clipping off the toe nails and feeding it to lucy and she wanted no part of it. I really don't blame her though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
we feed 1 chicken foot toe nails and all to our male gsd daily. He loves them. we feed them frozen. matter of fact needing to find another supplier in MO as we are no longer able to get them anymore.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just as a heads up, years ago I fed raw chicken feet to my female who passed away several years now. She loved it so much, I might haven given her quite a bit (can't remember how much). She bloated that night and I rushed her to the emergency vet and she survived. Lived 7 more years after that.
I have no idea if the bloating was connected to the chicken feet. However, I now give just two at a time for one feeding just to make sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pay $3 for a bag of 10... I can get 40 for $10, but I would rather get them fresh every week. Kessem's IN LOVE with this treat. Sometimes she ever gobbles them whole.
Where do you buy these bag of feet? Also are they raw or are they precooked? I went to Petsmart, Petco, and other indy pet stores and they don't sell them. Should I go to a super market?

Thanks in advance :puppy:

·
Registered
263 Posts
N∆NDO;4446441 said:
Where do you buy these bag of feet? Also are they raw or are they precooked? I went to Petsmart, Petco, and other indy pet stores and they don't sell them. Should I go to a super market?

Thanks in advance :puppy:
Supermarket. Or better, an "ethnic" market. They are completely raw, in the meat section with the other human-grade meats.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Chicken Feet add "naturally occurring" Glucosamine/Chondroitin! Fresh/frozen Chicken Feet, have the richest source and is 100% bio-available to the dog. 2 fresh/frozen (not dried or processed) chicken feet 3 times per week deliver more Glucosamine/Chondroitin than a handful of supplements!
Beef Trachea and bone marrow also contain Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

If you can't find fresh ones, you can get whole "Poultry Paws" and "Ground Beef Trachea" from an Omas dealer in your state. Here is the page to find a distributor: Distributors

Moms:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chicken Feet add "naturally occurring" Glucosamine/Chondroitin! Fresh/frozen Chicken Feet, have the richest source and is 100% bio-available to the dog. 2 fresh/frozen (not dried or processed) chicken feet 3 times per week deliver more Glucosamine/Chondroitin than a handful of supplements!
Beef Trachea and bone marrow also contain Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

If you can't find fresh ones, you can get whole "Poultry Paws" and "Ground Beef Trachea" from an Omas dealer in your state. Here is the page to find a distributor: Distributors

Moms:)
Thanks Momto2GSDs! :cool: Ill look into it for sure!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts