German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone else watches dog training videos with the sound turned off. Since German Shepherd behavior is new to me, I am putting in considerable effort learning to communicate with my dog. I have always had Lab or Lab mixes.

One of the most effective tools I have found is watching dog training videos with the sound turned. I find that forces me to try to figure out what the handler wants through his movements. Just like a dog does. Then I can study to see how the dog reacts to how the handler moved. Finally, it comes full circle and the handler provides feedback to the dog for their behavior.

With the sound on, I tend to depend on the handler's verbal description of what is happening. With the sound off I have to figure it out on my own.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
That's how I watch them too.If it's an interesting video I might listen to the trainer during the second time through.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I wish people wouldn't put music to some vids...I want to hear the dog, not a heavy metal song playing, I mute those. As far as instructional vids with verbal teaching, I listen.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
no, i don’t watch them that way regularly, but it was a part of one of my training courses for us to be videoed working with a dog, then assess each other’s work with the sound off. so yes, you’re on to something.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
If they are good enough to watch, I want to hear what they have to say. Can you listen and watch at the same time? I try to do both but I may watch a video or part of one, many times. I don’t need them much anymore, though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, if the video is interesting I do go back and listen. :)

The various types of body language different handlers use is fascinating. Stonnie Dennis is so laid back. Larry Krohn is intense. The agility trainers, like Kayl McCann, remind me of lizards catching flies with their tongues. Their markers are so precise and the hands dart around to deliver treats and toys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts