German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago we had a housekeeper but she moved away and we never really went through the effort of replacing her...
Since then, our new fur machine (Jax) has arrived... I've struggled with it for months now because there is really no reason for us to get a housekeeper other than we're just too lazy to keep up with the fur... We both work full time and in the 4 hour window that we're home each night, I don't want to be running around mopping every day. So here we are...
I'm wondering, is it cruel and unusual punishment to inflict this type of responsibility on a human being? Should we pay her extra for all of this fur? If we get another dog, should we pay extra on top of that as well? Also, would dog walking be out of the question? We're both really close to work so usually stagger our lunches so we can come home every couple of hours to visit them so it's not really necessary for them to be walked by someone else, but it would be nice :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
You're only home for 4 hours every day? Personally, I don't feel that's enough time to spend with a dog daily, but that's just me.

But if I had a housekeeper, I wouldn't pay extra for them to clean the fur. That's their job. But no, I wouldn't ask them to walk the dogs, because that isn't their job. As far as I'm concerned, their job is to clean the house.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have a wonderful housekeeper! I am shocked at the stuff she puts up with! Sometimes she complains, but nobody really listens to her. ......yeah, it's me.....

I say that if you feel you need a housekeeper then you should get one. Let her/him know up front what you expect. It's always a great idea when you can employ someone!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Hey-if you can go for it and tell them up front what your expectations are. No, I don't think it's unusual punishment to clean up after a dog. Honesty, just by keeping up with every day it's much more managable.

Being that you are only home maybe 4 hours a day (if I read your post right) & even tho you are coming home on lunches. Why not just invest that money you would spend on a housekeeper into someone that can come daily and excersise your dog while you are gone? Maybe with your work schedule another dog should be reconsidered?

Anyways, good luck & GSD shed alot but it's just part of owning one!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If you have the money to pay for a housekeeper, and you will use your extra time for good and not evil :) I say go for it! You will be employing someone who needs a job, and that's a good thing too.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
AAlso, would dog walking be out of the question? We're both really close to work so usually stagger our lunches so we can come home every couple of hours to visit them so it's not really necessary for them to be walked by someone else, but it would be nice :)
I highly doubt a house cleaner will walk your dog. Not only that, I don't think you'd want a house cleaner to walk your dog. I hire a dog walker, who is insured, bonded, has been certified in both first aid and CPR to walk my dog.

I understand having limited time each day because of working many hours and wanting to spend that limited time with your dogs. You can manage without a house cleaner, but it requires a bit of work and keeping on top of things so the hair/dirt doesn't pile up. (of course, that is blown when one of you has to work extra hours unexpectantly)

I'm with Leah, as long as you use that extra time for good and not evil ;), a house cleaner is a great idea.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You're only home for 4 hours every day? Personally, I don't feel that's enough time to spend with a dog daily, but that's just me.
I'm trying not to be offended by this statement, but I'm failing miserably at it.

Respectfully, I think you need to rethink what you said....the OP stated 4 hours each night...not daily. Not only that, many folks work 8+ hour days, have an hour commute each way, and have limted time at home each night during the week.

I personally work, at a minimum, a 10 hour day with my job. I've also worked in cities where my commute was at least an hour each way on top of the 10 hour work day. Yet, I had plenty of time to train and work with my dog in the less than 4 hours I had at home each night. Not every dog owner has the luxury to stay at home and work, or be a student or work part-time. I'm willing to bet that there are lots of other folks on this board that are away from their dogs for at least 10 hours a day, if not more and spend more quality time with their dogs than the average joe dog owner.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We only have 4 hours a day to spend with the house LOL... with the dogs we spend more time... I'm working from home now but our office is about 5 min from home so breaks and lunches are spent with the dogs... there is usually a 4 hour window at the end of the day where I probably should be cleaning... but I really don't want to. :p
I don't know if I'm depressed or just lazy or if it's my wicked anemia but at the end of the day I just don't have the energy to go up and down 4 floors to clean... being a neat freak and owning dogs are really creating conflict in my brain :cry: LOL

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
No, I don't. But only because I can't find one I can afford. It's at the top of my list of "things to buy" when I get some bills paid off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've cleaned houses for years, I am a college student and actually do dog walking too! I think its a great idea to throw the idea out there about adding walking the dog to the list while the cleaner is there, of course I am thinking about someone like myself doing the work here. Obviously not everyone would be comfortable walking a large dog but I myself would be fine with it and confident enough to handle it considering I have three large dogs. Just throw it out there, if you find someone younger, maybe a college student needing extra money, trust me they should be more then happy to do this and whatever else you need done. If you can trust them in your house, with your dog, that should say a lot already when it comes to the walking part.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
We only have 4 hours a day to spend with the house LOL... with the dogs we spend more time... I'm working from home now but our office is about 5 min from home so breaks and lunches are spent with the dogs... there is usually a 4 hour window at the end of the day where I probably should be cleaning... but I really don't want to. :p
I don't know if I'm depressed or just lazy or if it's my wicked anemia but at the end of the day I just don't have the energy to go up and down 4 floors to clean... being a neat freak and owning dogs are really creating conflict in my brain :cry: LOL
You work from home? Me too. Actually I should be working right now, oh well.

Anyway, I know how you feel. I swear it makes cleaning harder. Its like home is work 24/7. Ya know what I mean? Luckily I'm a slob so the mess doesn't bother me LOL

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm trying not to be offended by this statement, but I'm failing miserably at it.

Respectfully, I think you need to rethink what you said....the OP stated 4 hours each night...not daily. Not only that, many folks work 8+ hour days, have an hour commute each way, and have limted time at home each night during the week.

I personally work, at a minimum, a 10 hour day with my job. I've also worked in cities where my commute was at least an hour each way on top of the 10 hour work day. Yet, I had plenty of time to train and work with my dog in the less than 4 hours I had at home each night. Not every dog owner has the luxury to stay at home and work, or be a student or work part-time. I'm willing to bet that there are lots of other folks on this board that are away from their dogs for at least 10 hours a day, if not more and spend more quality time with their dogs than the average joe dog owner.
I second this. I was a little offended as well. While I work 5 days a week, I am also a homebody who spends just about all my off time with my dogs.

As for the housekeeper, I say go for it! I have a cleaning service come in once a month. I go through on the weekends and keep things neat but they can do the heavy stuff I don't like to do :laugh: However, with all the rain and mud we have around here now, I am thinking of hiring a full time staff. I have done nothing but mop floors, clean dirty towels and clean carpets for 2-3 weeks. It is driving me crazy! :crazy:

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Jax's Mom- I'm sorry for my comment about reconsidering another dog & dog walkers:( I assumed what you meant and should have asked for you to clarify before posting.

Go for the housekeeper!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I've cleaned houses for years, I am a college student and actually do dog walking too! I think its a great idea to throw the idea out there about adding walking the dog to the list while the cleaner is there, of course I am thinking about someone like myself doing the work here. Obviously not everyone would be comfortable walking a large dog but I myself would be fine with it and confident enough to handle it considering I have three large dogs. Just throw it out there, if you find someone younger, maybe a college student needing extra money, trust me they should be more then happy to do this and whatever else you need done. If you can trust them in your house, with your dog, that should say a lot already when it comes to the walking part.
I totally agree! I bet she'll find a responsible dog walker who will clean for the extra bucks.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We have our house cleaned once a month- the service sends two women and they clean the house top to bottom. It's nice having everything clean all at once and it's easy to keep up the rest of the time.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Guys, try to remember the person who posted the reply about only being home 4 hrs a day is just a kid and probably didn't think about the fact that many people work M - F 8 or 9 hrs a day, plus commute time.

Ref: hiring a housekeeper. If you can afford it, go for it! I would love a housekeeper to keep up with all the dog fur and basic cleaning. I used to work FT, but now am a stay at home mom to a 7 mo old and the dogs, and I swear it's more work now that I'm home all day. More dishes, more cleaning, etc.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Go for the housekeeper if you can afford it! I started doing this years ago and haven't looked back. If my situation were to change of course I would have to give up my housekeeper but while I'm working, having a housekeeper is a little insurance for my sanity.

I wouldn't worry about paying extra for fur . . . when you hire someone you will negotiate a rate with them anyway. Personally, I think the fur on the floor (on the furniture and in the air) helps you keep track of where you've already cleaned - kind of like the lines you get when you mow the yard - it's a bonus!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Guys, try to remember the person who posted the reply about only being home 4 hrs a day is just a kid and probably didn't think about the fact that many people work M - F 8 or 9 hrs a day, plus commute time.
I know that, that's why I was trying NOT to be offended.

While no one can tell a tone in a posting, I was not trying to be nasty in my response, but give the poster a reality check. She has to know that adults work and not everyone has the luxury of working from home, or being a student or even working part-time.

Actually, when I first read it, I got a bit offended. Then after I wrote my post, I kind of chuckled at myself for being offended by her statement. She doesn't understand, but one day, with more life experience under her belt, she just might.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I had a housekeeper, she was a friend too, which I do not recommend, she broke stuff and because she was a friend...... Anyways, she used to do little extras for me, like scrub the fireplace down in the spring, polish my ex-husband's bronze collection. I know you're supposed to leave the patina on, but he ticked me off, so I threw her an extra 20 to polish it LOL we were seperated and I was living in the house with his stuff - another thing I wouldn't recommend.
She let the dogs out and such, I'm sure you can get a reference from your friends for someone who owns a private company and is willing to do extras, or a dog walker who will do extras.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts