German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the old days they were called OOPS.
Like it wasn't bad enough that accidental breeding that the pup "looked: right were sold as pure?

But now if both parents were papered they can try to claim they were attempting a new breed..specially a "service breed." Papers and websites call then "experimental breeds"

When already hundreds of Labradoodles that do not get proper training and get homed as service animals go to pounds...
new breeds:
Dobesheps and German Shepherd /Giant Schnauzer. New breeds for BYB trying to trick unwary into buying and leftovers discarded.

Labradoodles cashed in on "hypoallergenic" Poodle belief. Nope... I am very allergic to most water dogs and labradoodles also affect me. Bzzzt. But fail to mention grooming needs double from normal popular service breeds.

Though many breeds have intelligence, few breeds can fill the shoes as service dogs of Shepherds, Retrievers and Dobermans as good all round service trainable dogs because their trainability, drive, size and stable breed temperments (in spite of overbreeding problems beig corrected this decade).
n
Frankly IMHO new breeds are not needed. Repairing old breeds is. AKC recognizes currently 400? unless it is something antique found with some lost tribe or small village breeding true... is honestly anything more needed?

Should the Panda Shepherd gene mutation be recognized as a GSD and breedable with? Only to cause some kind of disaster like VwB? Should it be allowed as a separate breed..unlike a white shepherd which is considered a fault in AKC but is simply masking... wouldn't a spotting gene undo generations of work?

Shepherd mixes? Already there are many allowable mixes of different type breeds... Years ago I would have thought of dutch shepherds as separate breed from same root stock. I see dilutions now, and brindles. What was wrong with the original colors?

Our new GSD is for my son's service so what titling she earns will all be agility/tracking..but it is nice her weight , size and confirmation could pass.
My fiance has a papered home grown Polish born Alsatian. He looks more GSD than the dutchies do. Just got a funny nose.

Even "oversize". Why on earth with animals prone to hip and back disorders would they want the weight almost doubled. One kennel up north has animals as large as deerhounds! 0_0 Pretty but wow.

Our previous service dog was fixed because she was oversize Dobie (a female over 100 #) yet I see others advertising this is good dog! Yet is 30-50# over breed weight! because they have papers with a CH like 6 generations back. Are there any papered animals that wouldn't have one that far back before the prevalence of profit breeding. I havent been to a dog show since 1981. I gather a lot of changes came.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Although I do agree with you, I think people need to take some responsibility, do their own research, and not be so gullible. We see the same thing happening with products all the time. The new latest greatest product hits shelves but it's basically just a spin-off of what already exists in different packaging.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Personally I have no problem with purpose bred mixes as long as its done responsibly. It is pretty common with working herding dogs (good workers are bred to good workers) same as with Alaskan huskies, also seems to be pretty common for military/police to be mixing GSDs and mals again good workers being bred to good workers. I personally feel like dogs bred with health and desirable temperament as the driving factor are far more likely to be successful than dogs that have are being bred because they closely fit a breed standard that everyone is going to interpret differently. I kind of find it snobby that people turn their noses up and shame them as "mutts" who cares? If you want a pure bred dog than don't get a mix. I know I will get flamed because there are so many dogs in shelters but plenty of those are pure bred or are from oops breedings. I also know plenty of sport mixes and most of them are great dogs that are exactly what the handlers wanted and its pretty rare for dogs from these breedings to be ending up in shelters. Most people breeding sport mixes have long waiting lists and the puppies are normally all spoken for the moment they are born.

Someone with no knowledge and only money in mind breeding german shepherds mixed with schnauzers is IMO no worse than the same person breeding two GSDs.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I agree with Kristi. Maybe the Doodles have their place....I don't know since it's not a breed/mix I'm interested in so I've never looked into it. It's not like everyone breeding purebred dogs is a saint of a breeder!

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
I agree with Kristi. Maybe the Doodles have their place....I don't know since it's not a breed/mix I'm interested in
What is the deal with these Doodles? Personally I have never met a sane one but I get called for problem cases. So far the poodle in these mixes has been the common denominator.

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
Anything with "doodle" or "poo" its name is still a mutt.
Yeah, I said it.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I also agree with Kristi.

Whatever floats ones boat. Doesn't affect me I don't want to live with a doodle,schnoodle whatever.

People are going to do what people are going to do.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
What is the deal with these Doodles? Personally I have never met a sane one but I get called for problem cases. So far the poodle in these mixes has been the common denominator.
There are a lot of nice ones out there. When I taught CGC/CLASS prep and tricks classes in my very yuppie-fied neighborhood (i.e., the kinds of classes that attract above-average pet owners who don't have problem dogs), I'd see a lot of owners come in with perfectly sweet, bright, charming doodles. I also have a lot of friends who have purchased these dogs and, for the most part, they've turned out to be pleasant, easygoing pets (albeit sometimes ones that took a fair amount of work on the owners' part to get there). So they're not all crazy.

From what I've seen, most of the owners are people who want happy-go-lucky, moderately active, friendly companion dogs that don't shed but don't have the stereotypical image/personality that they associate with purebred poodles. They're doing their best to research decent breeders (not always easy in doodles, since not many good breeders are producing them; usually buying one of these dogs means buying from the best BYB you can find), and it seems like they're mostly getting good-to-decent pet dogs.

So, you know, it's not my thing, but I don't see it as a huge disaster for dogdom either. Not many doodles end up in rescue, and the ones that do always get adopted within hours of hitting Petfinder.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Personally I have no problem with purpose bred mixes as long as its done responsibly. It is pretty common with working herding dogs (good workers are bred to good workers) same as with Alaskan huskies, also seems to be pretty common for military/police to be mixing GSDs and mals again good workers being bred to good workers. I personally feel like dogs bred with health and desirable temperament as the driving factor are far more likely to be successful than dogs that have are being bred because they closely fit a breed standard that everyone is going to interpret differently. I kind of find it snobby that people turn their noses up and shame them as "mutts" who cares? If you want a pure bred dog than don't get a mix. I know I will get flamed because there are so many dogs in shelters but plenty of those are pure bred or are from oops breedings. I also know plenty of sport mixes and most of them are great dogs that are exactly what the handlers wanted and its pretty rare for dogs from these breedings to be ending up in shelters. Most people breeding sport mixes have long waiting lists and the puppies are normally all spoken for the moment they are born.

Someone with no knowledge and only money in mind breeding german shepherds mixed with schnauzers is IMO no worse than the same person breeding two GSDs.
I think this is a great post! Now that I think of it, when I was doing Flyball I heard the instructor mention someone who was intentionally breeding mixes specifically for Flyball dogs. She was someone who was very active and competitive in the sport. That makes perfect sense to me. I never thought about it from that perspective before.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have a friend who has three Aussie Doodles. She does lots of sports with her dogs and they are well trained and well behaved. Again, not my cup of tea but she must like what the breeder produces. They are like the normal Doodle except their curls are velvety soft. I was holding one in flyball and wanted to bury my face in his fur!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you look back at how a lot of breeds started it was more for temperment/ ability than looks. Like in the ABCA for Border Collies. There isn't really a breed standard on looks as much as personality traits. Just remember that all of the recognized breeds today started as mutts. I don't see a problem with people breeding for ability rather than for breed as long as they are responsible breeders. Back when I was a kid and we had horses we had a Blue heeler/ border collie mix. Great dog. She was perfect for what we needed. I've also known a lot of duck hunters crossing Labs with Chesapeake Bays because they end up with a stronger dog with a better cold weather coat. Its all in what you need the dogs for.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Anything with "doodle" or "poo" its name is still a mutt.
Yeah, I said it.
and soon to hit the designer dog market...Poodle/Great Dane

otherwise known as "A Great Poo"!!!:laugh:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The only thing that annoys me is the insane prices they charge for something that is, like you said, experimental. I pay the big bucks for the final product, not something no where near completion.

But I approve of the idea of creating dog breeds for more modern lifestyles. It's better than people getting working dogs that don't suit their lifestyle just because they really wanted a dog, and then choosing to give their dog to a shelter because it was a poor fit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It doesn't bother me if people want to get a "fancy" breed, as some like to call them. But I will say that every Labradoodle I've ever met has been completely high-strung, and most of them have not been very easy to train. I also find it very interesting that almost every owner of these dogs has told me that their breeders assured them that the dogs would be on the small-medium size, and yet--big shocker--every single one of them ended up enormous! My parents have recently been talking about getting a "small- to medium-sized" dog and they mentioned Labradoodles as their top choice because they are "hypoallergenic" and "even-tempered." I suppose someone's Labradoodle must be, for these stereotypes to exist, but I have yet to meet one!

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
and soon to hit the designer dog market...Poodle/Great Dane

otherwise known as "A Great Poo"!!!:laugh:
Not to be confused with the Giant Schnauzer/Poodle combo, a.k.a. Giant Poo!:wild:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts