German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take their puppy out - Off leash - & let it run?
Not forced exercise, the dogs.
Dailey.
I thought this was the responsiblity of owning a German Shepherd.
Sure, difficult to find these places = fenced in base ball diamonds, for example.
Every one talks of these longgggggg walks - the dog want to run........
But the thought/plan before getting your next "house" dog.

I find myself appalled by the the fact that these are German Shepherds,
large, high energy breed
but every one wants a complient, house trained dog when they are 10 weeks old, 6 months, ect ect ect

I had a high drive puppy, = alot of work, that is the reason I bought a high energy breed. But not to make it complacient in the house under 2 years of age. If it happens before then (mine did) great, but give the dog ..

Sorry, just seems no one here really thinks of the the dog or the breed.
Kinda like having a piece of jewelry, or lawn orniment.
& also, I bought my dog for the breed itself, a working dog, & raised treated as such, it is a farm, working breed.

I just read too many posts where people just want the prestique, why not do German Shepherds a service & buy a Golden Retreiver, instead of wanting them to be off leash & friendly to every one you meet.

Sorry, I need to go back to a working dog forum, but I just feel for the dogs.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
:thinking: huh?

Yes, my dog goes out to play. She loves her frisbee and will spend an hour at top speed racing after it. No, we don't go for walks as it's not nearly enough exercise for her. If we do, she is off leash because we are in the country and she races ahead of me and then comes back. Yes, she does sports so she is working. Yes, she is a high drive wild child that has no interest in strangers and is unsure of strange dogs.

Still don't understand your point.

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
My dogs are never on leash or tethered at home, we have a huge fenced in back yard so they get plenty of exercise and have great recall. I don't know how they'd be if they were on a leash or tether all the time. I'm lucky that I have the option of letting them out to run safely.
My pup was never trained on a leash, but does well on one off the property.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Your spelling and word order have me confused. I take my GSD out every day off leash to run and play, but I also expect her to have manners with non threatening strangers. What are you saying exactly?

·
Registered
195 Posts
A lot of people on here do some amazing things with their dogs. I have run across some great photos of other people and their dogs on deep wood hikes, running thru lakes and chasing down crabs (which was hilarious!) Not everyone has the opportunity to do all these things and not all these dogs are as high drive as others. I have two and the girl outdoes the boy in energy hands-down.
I don't let my dogs off leash around the neighborhood because of safety reasons, theirs as well as other peoples, but then again there are LEASH LAWS everywhere. And for good reason, not every owner is responsible.
Personally I do a lot of training with my dogs daily, with a trainer once a week, more if necessary and we take tons of trips to the dog park for all the off leash fun. Not everyone has this chance though and they do what they can to keep their dogs happy...
We all WANT our dogs off-leash and with us everywhere we go, that's simply not the case these days. And being found in a fenced in baseball diamond, can get you arrested for trespassing :(

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, up until a year old, the fenced base ball diamond worked, for non-forced exercise.

After a year, a 3 acre fenced area was her play ground, 45 minutes-hour was her her time frame, not mine.

I guess, I was speaking for the dog,

don't be offended, with all the "amazing" dog activities

Just think dailey, dogs do = or German Shepherd dogs
or get a .............

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm still not getting your question or complaint here sorry. Dogs need off leash time I agree, but not just shepherds all dogs.

What does Just think daily, dogs do= or german shepherd dogs
or get a ........... mean?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I don't understand the OP at all.

My dogs go on walks and go off leash at the park across the street(right now its too hot) but I provide them with excercise, I don't just let them off leash in my front yard because of strange children, cats, other dogs, and there are leash laws, otherwise I do what I can to make sure my dogs get enough running time. I take Molly across the street and she runs like she is in the Kentucky Derby and Tanner runs after her. They love it and I bring her toys(rope toy) to chase(she could care less about frisbees.

Otherwise I don't get your point.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Ok, up until a year old, the fenced base ball diamond worked, for non-forced exercise.

After a year, a 3 acre fenced area was her play ground, 45 minutes-hour was her her time frame, not mine.

I guess, I was speaking for the dog,
don't be offended, with all the "amazing" dog activities
Just think dailey, dogs do = or German Shepherd dogs
or get a .............
I also don't get what you are saying - guess you were speaking for the dog???????????

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I think have your forums confused? Most everyone on this board plans their day around their dogs' needs, which includes lots of play, fetch, hikes, swims, park visits and training sessions.

New members with rambuctious puppies are advised to let their pups run and play and exercise to tire them out more - which they were hesitant to do because of well-meaning advise from others about not over-exercising their pups - but a GSD pup needs a lot of exercise before they reach the "over-exercised" level.

And, as a reader, I really appreciate it when people make an effort to write in complete sentences so that I don't have to guess at their meaning and intent.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well said Castlemaid, particularly the last line.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
ok, i'm not a troll

my post was not directed at any of the peeps replying
just a frustration when i read some of the new-bie puppy posts

except codmaster, was it you asking about your dog off leash that reacted to a hat, or you were tryin to figure out your dog's bark, behavior

that post made made me think = buy a golden retriever

thanks for all the replys

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I think people who own GSD's have to be that much more responsible when letting their dogs off leash don't you? A little ankle biter yapping or even biting a passerby is less likely to be reported or acted on compared to a large breed dog. My GSD is slightly reactive and though we are always off leash I am always on high alert with her. When we see a strange dog or person she is called over and put in a sit stay until they are out of range. I expect her to remain calm and not bite people at large whether or not you see this as a normal characteristic of the breed poor behavior is still poor behavior. I don't think newbie's need a Golden, but need to be aware of what quirks come with the breed before owning one:)

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
ok, i'm not a troll That is really great to know!
my post was not directed at any of the peeps replying
just a frustration when i read some of the new-bie puppy posts

except codmaster, was it you asking about your dog off leash that reacted to a hat, or you were tryin to figure out your dog's bark, behavior
No, I did not ask about my dog off leash behavior but thank you for asking!
It might be helpful to other readers if you actually read the post that you would like to comment on, don't you think?
Not sure what you meant by "figure out your dog's bark, behavior" so maybe you could try again to explain what you were actually trying to say, huh?
that post made made me think = buy a golden retriever

thanks for all the replys
And I think it is really great that you are going to get a Golden Retriever, I think that you sound like you will be really happy with such a nice dog!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts