German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I also have a GSD with a Dock Dogs title...
Here are a couple pics of Tooz earning her Junior Jumpers title:
Dock Dogs Quakertown PA June 07 (pic 1)
Dock Dogs Quakertown PA June 07 (pic 2)
Quote:Isn't this something wonderfully special about GSDs as they CAN do some many different things...
I totally agree! There is nothing a GSD can't be trained to do! My GSD has also done retriever work with ducks. If we could find a club that would have us, I would join!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I have been involved with Dock Diving for the past two years, but not with my German Shepherd. My son has a yellow lab named "Jumpin George". The dog's greatest pleasure is dock diving, and we hope he will qualify for the world championships this year.

Pico, as someone mentioned is simply astounding. The first time I saw the dog was at the national championships and Pico just dominated. Country is a greyhound/**** mix and holds the world's record, but will likely fall off the charts this year.

The chessies and labs are the most represented dogs; howver, I have seen a Pit Bull place in the top three, in the novice category, and a Jack Russell Terrier jump over 20 feet.

Someone in an earlier post mentioned that there GSD did well in the junior category, but that is rare. Nonetheless, if you dog likes water and will run off a dock, give it a shot. If you have an opportunity to work with the dog a bit, please do so. I would love to see more GSD's compete.

The Dockdogs.com is a good reference site; however, I believe in our Western States there maybe another group that is more widely represented, called Splash Dogs.

Rather then the long jump my son wanted to train my GSD, Timber, in extreme vertical. Te dog is long, lean and a good jumper. However, I am having him get OFA checked first.

Finally, if you dog enjoys swimming and doesn't mind jumping off docks, don't give up if the pup is reluctant on his first official try. Dogs hesitate on their first try, but if he jumps off that dock and it is only a few feet that is a good start. "Jumpin George's" first jump was 2 feet, 10 inches; his best after more training and a year later, 25 feet, 2 inches.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This is something I'm interested in doing just for fun. I'm not expecting my dog to be a pro at it at all. It seems like a fun activity we can enjoy together [granted he likes to do it]. Honestly, if he's not into it I won't push it.

Love those pictures of Tooz. How far did she end up jumping?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think Tooz's personal best was 11'9". We aren't gonna break any world records but the dog really enjoys it! We went to an Ultimate Air Dogs event a couple weeks ago but the water was too cold for "the princess" to jump in. She jumped the first day but the second day, forget it!

DockDocks is a great venue. You can also check out Ultimate Air Dogs.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I should have placed a bit more emphasis on the fun aspect of the sport. Some dogs just love it, and if yours does that is super.

If your dog loves jumping off boat docks and swimming, it will be fun.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought it was better than starting a new one ...
I don't even have my new GSD yet, but would love to get one/raise one to do dock diving. I've always loved watching this sport! It's good to see that there ARE GSDs that have taken to it.

Does anyone have any advice on getting started, what to look for in a dog, how to train a puppy ... how to find local clubs, new contacts, anything else you can think of?

My mini-aussie is definitely not a water dog ... he'll only go in the water to get to me (panic if he can't).

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
BluePaws,

I found a local contact by searching the dock dogs website, finding the closest club to me, and emailing them. I live near a river with docks, so I think if you have a body of water or a pool near you that would be a good intro, at least to see if your pup likes to swim! If they like water and want to jump in, then give it a shot :)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I finally got Kessy to a dock over the weekend - she LOVES to swim but there aren't any docks around here! But I had to opportunity and had to use it - it was about 40 degrees and the water was cold but she did great for her first time. I would like to get her involved with dock diving in the spring and dockdogs.com seems to have a nice calendar of events.

I got one picture, with a cell phone...so not the best quality but I didn't have my good camera :(

Anyway - I don't know much about the training end of it, but you definitely want a dog with a lot of drive so they get really into jumping after the toy. I would look for something without a ton of angulation and not too heavy-boned, so you get the agility for jumping.

Both Kessy and Djenga are crazy about the water, they go nuts when they know we're at the lake where I take them swimming, they drag me down the drive, barking to be let loose...my other two GSD's were NOT into water.

·
Registered
396 Posts
BluePaws,

I found a local contact by searching the dock dogs website, finding the closest club to me, and emailing them. I live near a river with docks, so I think if you have a body of water or a pool near you that would be a good intro, at least to see if your pup likes to swim! If they like water and want to jump in, then give it a shot :)
Thanks! I did find a dock diving club not too far away that I want to go visit sometime ... and I also discovered a group that's building a canine aquatic center about 40 miles away, specifically to have a pool for dogs to swim in! Can't wait to check it out, once it's built!

The beach is only about 90-100 miles away, so want to go down there whenever possible, as soon as I figure out how to deal with the sand and salt water on the dog (for example, how to get sand out of the ears!) ...

Let me know if you give it a try, would love to hear about your experiences with dock diving! It looks like a lot of fun, even if you don't do it competitively.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm helping to get a local dock diving club going. My APBT/AST and my GSD BOTH do Dock diving. They love it! The local club here is hoping to get a permanent practice spot, for now, we use the river and boatdocks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm helping to get a local dock diving club going. My APBT/AST and my GSD BOTH do Dock diving. They love it! The local club here is hoping to get a permanent practice spot, for now, we use the river and boatdocks!
It looks like a lot of fun, I love watching the sport on TV whenever Purina has their competitions. I don't know that I want to do it particularly competitively (I'm not a competitive person by nature) but it looks like a fun sport! My 'New Pup' breeder says her dogs do tend to take to water well ... but of course, a lab would compete better at dock diving (hence why I don't really care if we compete and are 'top of the class').

My mini-aussie and I do agility for grins and giggles, so that's another option I have for New Pup when he/she's old enough ... but dock diving is a whole new world to explore! *grin*

I hadn't thought of an APBT or AST getting in to it, that's really cool!! How did you discover their talent? How did you get started?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am a member of a nice club in Redding,CA if anyone would like to know more about them they could PM me.
We have weekly practices(when the weather is nice) and they offer classes in spring and late summer.
My boy who is a GSD/lab mix competes in dock jumping, we've only done one competition so far and he got first place. He jumped 16,1 (to be honest he wasn't trying very hard that day.).
But we love it! He has fun going out and doing it, the swimming is great for him, and I like going home with a somewhat tired dog. lol

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I like this one

21 - 39 of 39 Posts